Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

9 Days in Europe (Barcelona Advice Needed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking for some amazing advice from some experienced travelers. I will be 27 at the time of travel and my SO will be 23.

This will be our first time in Europe and I'm looking to make the most of my visit and do all the right things. I've been doing tons of research but I mostly need some guidance. My trip will be from May 17th, 2016 to about May 25th.

Here is my itinerary so far:

May 17th: Delta flight from TUS to CDG (arriving on 5/18 at 11:20am)
May 18th-20th: Stay 2 nights in Paris in an Airbnb near the Eiffel Tower

On May 20th, I was either thinking about taking one of those high speed trains to Barcelona or get a direct flight from ORY to IBZ.

With the Ibiza option I was thinking of staying there from the 20th-22nd to check out the night life. Pacha, Space, etc. We love electronic music so I was hoping this would work out. I would like to stay in an Airbnb in Ibiza if I choose this option.

With the train from Paris to Barcelona option I would think it would be more practical to stay in Barcelona from the 20th - 25th, maybe the Hilton Diagonal Mar Barcelona? I would like to stay in a hotel near the beach and close to nightlife as well.

This is pretty much all I have to go so far. Here are some more facts about my trip:

-Return flight from BCN to TUS is not yet booked yet. I am flexible on returning on or after May 25th.
-I would be using award points to book any hotel stays in Barcelona (Hilton or Marriott).
-We are really open to anything in Barcelona like food, museums, tours, etc.

So here are my questions:

If I take the Ibiza option, what would be the best way to get to Barcelona from there? Another flight or take an overnight ferry?

Which would be the best train to take from Paris to Barcelona?

Any advice on short haul airlines like RyanAir or Vueling Airlines? I've read bad reviews since they're so inexpensive, have so many hidden fees and lost baggage claims.

When we travel, which is the best way to pack? Light (2 carry ons each)? Or moderate (1 carry on/1 checked each)?

If someone could help me with a sample itinerary for the rest would be amazing. I just need to figure out which is the best direction to take on this. Thank you so much!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I'll answer a few of those. I think the itinerary is best planned by you and your significant other, as you two best know your interests and preferences.

Fly from Barcelona to Ibiza - it's cheap and fast.
I've had much better experiences with Vueling than RyanAir. Unless you have very minimal luggage (e.g. just a backpack for a weekend), fees on RyanAir really add up and given the cheap cost of flights between Barcelona and Ibiza, and even Barcelona and Paris, often times another carrier (e.g. Iberia or the like) works out best overall.
Barcelona is a fantastic city. There is tons to do - Parc Guell and all the Gaudi architecture, tremendous food, Picasso Museum, Camp Nou (where FC Barcelona plays), shopping, beaches, Montjuic, Tibidabo, for just a small sampling.
The Hilton Diagonal Mar will be close to the beach and also some of the nightclubs that are in the Port Olympic/Hotel Arts area, although a little farther from main tourist sites. Marriott has more hotel options, particularly through its AC Hotels brand. Barcelona is a very manageable city to get around. You also might want to get out of the city to explore some better beaches. The trains are good for this, or you could rent a car for a day.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
Sateran, sounds like you are planning an awesome trip. I lived in Barcelona for 2 years so let me add some to what Spainlover has already said.

As you already know, there are an endless amount of things you can do in Barcelona. I won't try to list all the things there are to see and do. A simple internet search for "Barcelona toursim" will give you more information than you will need in a lifetime. Then you can plan from there.

However I will say that a must do for all tourists is the famous walking street called "las Ramblas." It starts at Plaça Catalunya and runs down to the famous "estatua de colon." Along las ramblas are endless shops, restaurants cafes etc. Plus the real treat you will experience are the famous street performers.

From the statue, you can even continue across the "rambla del mar," where you will cross a bridge and see a beautiful view of the marina. On the other side is Maremagnum, a huge shopping mall, theaters and the Barcelona Aquarim for starters. You can literally plan a whole day just enjoying las ramblas.

As far as the high speed train, Renfe is what I always used. They go between Barcelona and Paris with ease. The bonus is you also get to see the scenery going by out the window as you travel between the two cities.

Renfe High Speed España - Francia

Good luck and I hope you have a great trip!
Old Jul 11, 2015, 11:45 pm

Some remarks:
  • The trains between Paris and Barcelona are only partially high-speed. Total travel time is 6,5 hours. But door-to-door that is still only a bit slower than flying, so I take the train anyway on that route because of the extra comfort. And on the "slower" part of the route (int he south of France) the scenery more than makes up for the time loss.
  • If you decide to visit Ibiza, you can either fly (Vueling) or take a day ferry. (I don't think that there is a night ferry to Barcelona.) Vueling also flies Paris to Ibiza.
  • On flying with low cost airlines: these days, even traditional airlines (Air France, Swiss) offer "low cost service" with added (hidden or not) charges. So you have to be careful, whoever you book with. In any case, on the Ibiza routes you don’t have a lot of choice I think.
    I have been flying Vueling regularly for months last year, and I haven’t had any serious problems with them (apart from the ridiculous leg room). (For Ryanair: I still haven’t had the courage to fly them…)
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:22 am

Lots of great clubs in Barcelona. Opium is my favourite. I'm sure you know things don't get going until past midnight (despite the mayors new regulations)

Also should go without saying, watch your personal belongs on the streets. Especially after dark on Las Ramblas
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by sateran
I'm looking for some amazing advice from some experienced travelers. I will be 27 at the time of travel and my SO will be 23.

This will be our first time in Europe and I'm looking to make the most of my visit and do all the right things. I've been doing tons of research but I mostly need some guidance. My trip will be from May 17th, 2016 to about May 25th.

Here is my itinerary so far:

May 17th: Delta flight from TUS to CDG (arriving on 5/18 at 11:20am)
May 18th-20th: Stay 2 nights in Paris in an Airbnb near the Eiffel Tower

On May 20th, I was either thinking about taking one of those high speed trains to Barcelona or get a direct flight from ORY to IBZ.

With the Ibiza option I was thinking of staying there from the 20th-22nd to check out the night life. Pacha, Space, etc. We love electronic music so I was hoping this would work out. I would like to stay in an Airbnb in Ibiza if I choose this option.

With the train from Paris to Barcelona option I would think it would be more practical to stay in Barcelona from the 20th - 25th, maybe the Hilton Diagonal Mar Barcelona? I would like to stay in a hotel near the beach and close to nightlife as well.

This is pretty much all I have to go so far. Here are some more facts about my trip:

-Return flight from BCN to TUS is not yet booked yet. I am flexible on returning on or after May 25th.
-I would be using award points to book any hotel stays in Barcelona (Hilton or Marriott).
-We are really open to anything in Barcelona like food, museums, tours, etc.

So here are my questions:

If I take the Ibiza option, what would be the best way to get to Barcelona from there? Another flight or take an overnight ferry?

Which would be the best train to take from Paris to Barcelona?

Any advice on short haul airlines like RyanAir or Vueling Airlines? I've read bad reviews since they're so inexpensive, have so many hidden fees and lost baggage claims.

When we travel, which is the best way to pack? Light (2 carry ons each)? Or moderate (1 carry on/1 checked each)?

If someone could help me with a sample itinerary for the rest would be amazing. I just need to figure out which is the best direction to take on this. Thank you so much!
Hi, as someone who lives in Barcelona I will advise the following.
Avoid Las Ramblas. It's a tourist trap. Check out less touristy areas such as Gracia for a more authentic experience.
Avoid the train from Paris to Barcelona. It is simply too long and the scenery is not special. Arrive quicker by flying Air France.
Clubs in Barcelona? You can try Apollo or Razzmatazz; both of these have good music.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:53 pm

I am not sure if the OP still has use for that information… but that is what happens if someone reopens a 2 year old thread without reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.