Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

pickpocketed in Barcelona

pickpocketed in Barcelona

Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:59 pm

All you have to do is google "Barcelona pickpocket" and there are rampant pages full of information. There are sites that even tell you how they target you. Good information to read before traveling anywhere, especially in high prone pickpocket areas like Barcelona.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by exoticfusion
All you have to do is google "Barcelona pickpocket" and there are rampant pages full of information. There are sites that even tell you how they target you. Good information to read before traveling anywhere, especially in high prone pickpocket areas like Barcelona.
Guess should have read it before I arrived in Barcelona
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by mike2200
Anyone ever get pick pocketed in Barcelona? I did a few days ago on the Metro L3 heading towards Diagonal, wallet was in front zipped pants pocket. He got 30 euro and I had to cancel a couple credit cards. Seems it's quite the problem there the courts apparently only prosecute for thefts of more than 600 euros in value.
I've never been pickpocketed. Too bad to hear that. Hope it all worked out for you.

Last edited by DaveBlaine; Jun 18, 2015 at 9:08 am
Old Jun 18, 2015, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Quote:

Anyone ever get pick pocketed in Barcelona? I did a few days ago on the Metro L3 heading towards Diagonal, wallet was in front zipped pants pocket. He got 30 euro and I had to cancel a couple credit cards. Seems it's quite the problem there the courts apparently only prosecute for thefts of more than 600 euros in value.

The front middle pocket?

Sorry, bad joke. But no, I've never been pickpocketed. Too bad to hear that. Hope it all worked out for you.
t

OP was to make others aware of the problem in Barcelona

Last edited by mike2200; Jul 28, 2015 at 6:26 am
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
t

Yes "bad" immature joke, You should learn how to use edit in postings (and life??)

OP was to make others aware of the problem in Barcelona
GOOD NEWS! I got some more practice editing my posts (and life??).
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:11 pm

I've lived in Spain for five years. The only place where I've ever seen anyone in my party targeted by a pickpocket was on the Barcelona metro. (Was there for a visit -- I spend most of my time in another often-visited city in the south.) In all my time here, though, I've never had anything stolen. Helps to keep a hand on your purse, if you carry one. I could see that getting awkward if you carry your wallet in a pants pocket, though.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JR14
I've lived in Spain for five years. The only place where I've ever seen anyone in my party targeted by a pickpocket was on the Barcelona metro. (Was there for a visit -- I spend most of my time in another often-visited city in the south.) In all my time here, though, I've never had anything stolen. Helps to keep a hand on your purse, if you carry one. I could see that getting awkward if you carry your wallet in a pants pocket, though.
Yes being on guard would certainly help, but then you have to be aware of the pickpocket problem
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:17 pm

Yes being on guard would certainly help, but then you have to be aware of the pickpocket problem
Does that mean there are big cities in the world that attract lots of tourists and don't have a lot of pickpockets?

The question's totally genuine... maybe I've just been in southern Europe too long
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Quote:

Does that mean there are big cities in the world that attract lots of tourists and don't have a lot of pickpockets?

The question's totally genuine... maybe I've just been in southern Europe too long
10 Worst Cities for Pickpockets Around The World

1. Barcelona, Spain

2. Rome, Italy

3. Prague, Czech Republic

4. Madrid, Spain

5. Paris, France

6. Florence, Italy

7. Buenos Aires, Argentina

8. Amsterdam, Netherlands

9. Athens, Greece

10. Hanoi, Vietnam

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/01/worst-cities-for-pickpockets_n_746918.html#s148366title=1_Barcelona
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:57 pm

Most pickpockets bump into you 'accidentially'. In this very moment you are barely able to feel if anybody reaches for your pocket or not.

Get into the habit of checking all your pockets for missing items after somebody bumps into you. Even if you slightly touch another person while walking!
This will create a habit so you naturally will check your items each time and you won't have to think about it actively anymore.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:09 pm

Our daughter had her wallet and passport taken on Las Ramblas (unzipped the bag without her noticing) and made it to the airport before she realized it was missing.
She went back to the Consulate and had a new passport a few hours later. And she wasn't alone that very day.

Later that year, we were in Barcelona with a guide and I noticed her giving a man
a very decided glare. She told me that he was a pickpocket known to the guides and that they knew most of them in the area. That should also mean that the police could, theoretically, know who they are but alas....
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mickidon
That should also mean that the police could, theoretically, know who they are but alas....
Apparently not a punishable crime:
the courts apparently only prosecute for thefts of more than 600 euros in value.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:20 pm

I don't think pickpockets are a big problem in Tokyo.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have a trip to Madrid and Barcelona coming up in the autumn. From reading various online forums, I'm getting the impression that reading an ebook on my phone/Kindle at a café or restaurant is asking to be robbed? That is, if those items aren't stolen by the time I arrive there?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: qantas airnz
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I have a trip to Madrid and Barcelona coming up in the autumn. From reading various online forums, I'm getting the impression that reading an ebook on my phone/Kindle at a café or restaurant is asking to be robbed? That is, if those items aren't stolen by the time I arrive there?
We visited both Madrid & barcelona in June 2015. There was a massive police presence in Madrid but very few to be seen in the places we visited in Barcelona. We had read similar stories but had no problems- there are many people around both cities that seem to have no idea about protecting their belongings so if you use common sense there will be many people picked on before you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.