Portugal in April?

Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Smile Portugal in April?

I am visiting from Northeast USA, considering first week of April. From searching weather info on the internet, it seems like it will generally be in the 60s?

For a week-long trip, I was thinking of flying into Lisbon, train up to Porto, fly down to Faro/Algarve, train back to Lisbon. But maybe that is too ambitious for one week. If I should cut down the itinerary, does anyone have any suggestions for two regions? Thank you!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by agentq
I am visiting from Northeast USA, considering first week of April. From searching weather info on the internet, it seems like it will generally be in the 60s?

For a week-long trip, I was thinking of flying into Lisbon, train up to Porto, fly down to Faro/Algarve, train back to Lisbon. But maybe that is too ambitious for one week. If I should cut down the itinerary, does anyone have any suggestions for two regions? Thank you!
One of the nicest time of the year. I'd skip the Algarve, although it's true April there is a delight, weather-wise.

I'd suggest renting a car in Porto to explore the area north. Braga is close, and if dramatic religious architecture is an interest (OK, it's not for everyone!) you'll have hit a hot-spot; further north is the delightful Viana do Castelo on the coast with a truly magnificent pousada/hotel. Ponte de Lima is close by, packed with charm and one of the oldest towns in Portugal.

Or take a cruise up the river Douro on a hotel-boat.

Lots to do without touching the Algarve.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! Viana do Costelo sounds interesting I will do some more research
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Having just been to Lisbon last week, I can only imagine that the weather will be even nicer in April.
It was about 14C when I was there and very comfortable. No winds or rain either.

Book it and enjoy!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:31 am

Hate to be the downer here, but when I visited Portugal in early April two years ago it rained through the entire trip. Seemed like that was the rainy season there. That may be isolated to the north -- I was in Porto. Still, though, if you have the flexibility I would look into visiting a bit later, like in May or June!

In any case, weather's never a guarantee. Just bring a sturdy umbrella if you see rain in the forecast as the date draws closer, and know that you can make the best of it no matter how the weather is. We had a great time in Porto, rain and all.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Temperature wise it can be anywhere between 16C and 30C+ warmer towards the end of the months. Some years it's very rainy, others - it's not. The north is cooler and more rainy than the center and south.

I would also skip the Algarve and maybe do a few day trips from Lisbon instead. 3-4 days Lisbon and 3-4 in Porto will do both justice and allow for 1-2 day trips in each place.

Easter is Apr 5, so Apr 3 is a holiday.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the very useful advice. Given potential weather diceyness, I will probably push back my trip to late April or early May
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I visited Lisbon in mid-April (2010) and found it very pleasant. While you're there, this was one of my favorite sights:

http://www.golisbon.com/sight-seeing...ry-museum.html
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Today we hit a high of 22C with similar weather forecast for the next few days Nights are still chilly...
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

April 14 report:we have been in Lisbon for 4 days so far. all days have been 60-65F, and bright sun. lots of tourists

great hotel, great food, great wine.

the transfer through FRA was hell. 55min of walking, and one long UNAVOIDABLE stairs.

Last edited by slawecki; Mar 14, 2015 at 6:51 am
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:22 am

I will be going the first week of April next year and welcome any suggestions or recommendations based on your experiences. Flying into Lisbon on Monday and out the following Tuesday and currently searching for itinerary suggestions.
Love the freedom of a car rental but worried about driving in a non-English speaking country. Any specific experiences appreciated.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by Kadence
I will be going the first week of April next year and welcome any suggestions or recommendations based on your experiences. Flying into Lisbon on Monday and out the following Tuesday and currently searching for itinerary suggestions.
Love the freedom of a car rental but worried about driving in a non-English speaking country. Any specific experiences appreciated.
It depends what you want to do - if you are based in Lisbon and want to do a couple of day trips to the usual tourist places like Cascais, Estoril, Sintra etc. I don't see why you'd want the hassle of driving a car/parking when all of these places are easily accessible by train. www.cp.pt is the train operator and fares are very cheap.

If however you're planning a road trip to somewhere like the Alentejo (the inland area to the south east of Lisbon, north of the Algarve) then once you get out of the city the motorway system is extremely high quality with little traffic. And, if picking a car up at Lisbon Airport and heading straight out to the countryside you can bypass the city entirely by taking the Vasco de Gama bridge (turn left out of the airport onto the A1 Norte, then follow signs to A12 Sul).

Google Maps is also very accurate if you have a data plan on your phone.

All in all it depends what you want to do!
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
One of the nicest time of the year. I'd skip the Algarve, although it's true April there is a delight, weather-wise.
Why would one skip Algarve...newbie here?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by dtsm
Why would one skip Algarve...newbie here?
The Algarve is mainly a beach, sunshine, golf kind of holiday place. It excels at those three and also has fantastic natural scenery, but it's not exactly a history/culture/monument/food kind of place. Weather in April is normally good but sometimes can be very wet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.