Search

Which Camino to Santiago?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Which Camino to Santiago?

After a couple years of thinking about it, Mrs BamaVol and I have decided to walk the Camino de Santiago next year, probably in May. Among other things, it will commemorate 40 years of marriage (to each other).

One of the reasosn for delay has been my desire to walk the whole way. It has never been possible for me to take sufficient time away from my job to do that and that won't change in the forseeable future. I have to be on the job at least one week out of every month. So, we will dedicate 2-2.5 weeks with a finish in Santiago de Compostela.

I have seen quite a lot of information on the Camino Frances. In fact our first exposure was through the movie, The Way, which takes place on that route. There is a lot less out there on the other routes. We figure we can walk 200-250 KM in 11-12 days. The Camino Frances would begin for us in Ponferrada. I have looked for information on the Camino Portugues with less success. A start in Porto would give us the right length and time with the added benefit of a starting point that is much easier to reach, but I don't know the other relative merits or downsides.

Any thoughts or help?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:37 am

Sorry, no great interest of mine but I am aware there are several sites and forums dedicated to the caminos. A simple google of 'camino portugues' did it for me.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WomBatt
Sorry, no great interest of mine but I am aware there are several sites and forums dedicated to the caminos. A simple google of 'camino portugues' did it for me.
I've been to a couple of the forums and most of the posters are wishy-washy when it comes to one route over another, along the lines of "there is no wrong camino". Having been on FT for over 10 years, I've found that I can get much more definite opinions here than many other places.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And as opinionated as FTers can be, I have found the Camino forums to be filled with overly judgemental people. You ask a simple question and you open yourself up for a critique of every aspect of your arrangements (except which camino to take).
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I'm not sure the way makes that much difference ... according to my friend who did it, it's the long hours of walking, resting in a different place each night, depending on the kindness of strangers, and just doing silent walking as a meditation. Love that you're doing this for your 40th. What a great way to celebrate.

Here's a site you may not have come across, which will give you some options:
http://caminoways.com/how-to-choose-...k#.VSP5FvnF-XE

Happy travels.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
This is on my list of things to do sometime in the near future. I have decided against the Portugese route because there are stretches of cobblestones. From what I have read walking on cobblestones can be harder on the back so I figure I will perhaps do the traditional route which is the road less travelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.