Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Madrid Airport: short connection, separate tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Madrid Airport: short connection, separate tickets?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 9:02 am

Also a similar question

We are scheduled to arrive in Madrid at 9:15 a.m. on a Delta Flight arriving at Terminal 1. I have booked separately a continuation on Iberia departing at 11:40 a.m. from terminal 4. We will have carry on luggage only. I have a flight confirmation but will need to get a boarding pass from Iberia. Is there a prayer that we can make this change?
Old May 19, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
LHR-MAD-TLV 50 min conx - allowed?

Similar query, answers on IB's website seem to contradict press releases and KVS - planning on flying LHR-MAD on IB7441 (codeshare of BA456), landing 09.40 at T4S non-Schengen, onward MAD-TLV at 10.30 with IB, also from T4S non-Schengen.

IB website says MCT is 65 mins, but KVS and press releases touting IB's efficient transfer system say 45 mins. I have to book as two separate tickets and get them linked, any ideas as to whether this is an allowable connection?
Old May 19, 2015, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by JmVikmanis
We are scheduled to arrive in Madrid at 9:15 a.m. on a Delta Flight arriving at Terminal 1. I have booked separately a continuation on Iberia departing at 11:40 a.m. from terminal 4. We will have carry on luggage only. I have a flight confirmation but will need to get a boarding pass from Iberia. Is there a prayer that we can make this change?
Very good chance of making it, unless your DL flight is massively delayed. If you can check in online for your IB flight it would be better, but even without online CI, still some good chance to make it, as you've more than 1 hour to go through immigration, head over to T4, and checkin. Should be doable as long as your incoming plane isn't really late.

Originally Posted by frb98mf
Similar query, answers on IB's website seem to contradict press releases and KVS - planning on flying LHR-MAD on IB7441 (codeshare of BA456), landing 09.40 at T4S non-Schengen, onward MAD-TLV at 10.30 with IB, also from T4S non-Schengen.

IB website says MCT is 65 mins, but KVS and press releases touting IB's efficient transfer system say 45 mins. I have to book as two separate tickets and get them linked, any ideas as to whether this is an allowable connection?
Absolute madness on two different tickets. They won't transfer your luggage (if you've any) in any case if you're under MCT. If with hand luggage only, and you can get your BP by internet checkin, there is _some_ chance for making it, but incoming has to be perfectly on time for that. Also keep in mind that flights to Palestine/Israel usually have increased security.
Old May 19, 2015, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Absolute madness on two different tickets. They won't transfer your luggage (if you've any) in any case if you're under MCT. If with hand luggage only, and you can get your BP by internet checkin, there is _some_ chance for making it, but incoming has to be perfectly on time for that. Also keep in mind that flights to Palestine/Israel usually have increased security.

Actually on two different IB tickets, it would be quite normal to transfer the luggage and through ticket me, if it's within MCT. What I am asking is whether the MCT has been updated to under 50 mins as suggested on KVS and news reports, as opposed to 65 mins as stated on iberia.com.

I can't imagine what kind of point you were trying to make by mentioning Palestine/Israel when my flight is to Tel Aviv, but I hope you took into account FlyerTalk rule 12.3 (posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed).

For future reference, there are three runways in the Palestinian territories (GZA and GKH in Gaza, and JRS in the West Bank), and none are currently handling commercial flights. TLV airport sits within not just the internationally accepted Green Line but the 1947 Partition Plan boundaries of Israel too.
Old May 19, 2015, 7:29 am

I would give IB a call regarding any new, lower MCT. And note that even if you're within any new, lower MCT, and your luggage is checked through, it will be upon the discretion of the airline to provide you with a later flight. Only AA imho has the "guaranteed" connection rule as long as it's over MCT for single tickets. I've not heard of IB having anything else, or it being a general OW rule.

I won't comment on the Palestine/Israel naming, it's simply the region you're flying to, nothing else (posting two passages about a location name? )

Wikipedia also seems to think so, see their map for TLV:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Gur...th_stripes.svg
Old May 19, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by frb98mf
I can't imagine what kind of point you were trying to make by mentioning Palestine/Israel when my flight is to Tel Aviv, but I hope you took into account FlyerTalk rule 12.3 (posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed).
Personally I think it is your post that is worthy of reflection.

YuropFlyer addressed your question. In doing so they used a term of reference that is often used 'Palestine/Israel' to refer to the area. They did not try to have a debate about the topic, or refuse to answer, etc.

Personally I would have replied simply saying in passing "I'm not sure why you said 'Palestine/Israel' - TLV airport sits within not just the internationally accepted Green Line but the 1947 Partition Plan boundaries of Israel too." (that should fully cover protecting your position)

I would not be suggesting other members may have potentialy broken rules, when they have simply used a valid term of refenence in passing (one which can hardly be said to be hostile) - while trying to answer questions.

Plenty of times (on other topics) I have replied to people using terms of refernce that I am comfortable use when I've needed to refer to something. (Sometimes changing ones they have already used, if I'm not happy or uncomfortable using theirs).

Turning to your question. Do they sell the connection themselves? If so, I'd relax. If not, put more effort into getting a confirmation it is okay.

Last edited by David-A; May 19, 2015 at 7:57 am
Old May 19, 2015, 8:12 am

Thanks for your considered responses. I am afraid I read it differently, given that that the use of the word "Palestine" in any flying-related context is moot, as there are no functioning Palestinian airports. It also seemed irrelevant to the question posed. In a wider context, referring to places inside the internationally-accepted boundaries of Israel as being in "Palestine" is a common tactic of those who wish to delegitimise the existence of Israel completely. That clearly not being YuropFlyer's intent, I am happy to stand corrected, and I apologise for jumping to conclusions.

Meanwhile I did a dummy booking and confirmed that this transfer is definitely permissible on one ticket, and more strangely IB would also let me book TLV-BCN-LGW with a mere 55 minute MCT where the carriers are LY and BA!

UPDATE: Spoke to IB, have a definitive YES from them. They say as long as both tickets are booked through them, I can just call and link the bookings in advance, and then IB will cover a missed conx. There is an LY flight they codeshare on an hour later so unlikely to be the end of the world.

Last edited by frb98mf; May 19, 2015 at 9:26 am Reason: Got answer from IB
Old May 20, 2015, 9:50 am

Thanks Yurope Flyer for your encouraging response to my question re: connections from Delta to Iberia in Madrid. . I may be able to print a boarding pass while on a layover in the Delta lounge at JFK. I booked through Orbitz for the Iberia flight and have the Iberia locator number. I presume that should get me through if I can get to a computer and printer. Thanks again. I feel far less apprehensive now.
Old May 20, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Just download the app and use a mobile boarding pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.