Wiki Posts
Search

Gibraltar to Malaga

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Gibraltar to Malaga

Hello there,

Sorry, i'm not sure whether it has been repeating.

I'm planning to travel from Gibraltar to Malaga in summer 2015. I am wondering how to get there? I know there's a bus but no timetable in summer 2015. Is it safe for me to travel alone?

Thanks
Bluesky
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Bluesky:
Since you are from Australia, I assume you are not an American. Getting into Gibraltar by car was easy. Leaving by car, my wife and I witnessed an almost unbelievable sight perpetrated on the "British" occupants of the car in front of ours. Spanish Immigration more than thoroughly opened/trashed the Brits possessions. Ultimately, nothing found and they were free to go. Fortunately, I pulled up and stuck out the window 2 American Passports. Spanish Immigration did not even look at Passports but simply waived us through. My impression of Spanish Costa Del Sol, particularly for Females, is caution first. I do not know about Bus Timetables, but caution is advised.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Best to walk to La Línea and go from there.

http://www.avanzabus.com/web/archivo...e-La-Linea.pdf has the times currently. It is likely to change by next summer, though.

Also blablacar.com may be good for this.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:12 am

You walk across the border to La Linea and walk five odd minutes to the bus station, maybe ten with a suitcase. Timetable as already advised above.

'Is it safe for me to travel alone?' - Why would it not be? Are you leaving your street smarts at home?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for finding info for me!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Are we allowed to cross the border many times?

Which place is better to stay for several nights? Gibraltar or La Linea?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
La Linea is an ugly port town. I wouldn't stay several days in either place. I'd go 20 minutes west and stay in Tarifa, one of my favorite beach towns in all of Spain and much less built-up than most of the Costa del Sol. The beaches are more designed for kitesurfing and it's windy on the Atlantic Ocean side, but the town itself is a delight.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Bluesky
Are we allowed to cross the border many times?
Yes (subject to one note below*).

The border is open 24/7, and people on both sides cross back and forth (there are about 10,000 Spanish cross border workers - who come into Gibraltar daily to get to their jobs).

* = assuming you have the normal ability to enter Schengen multiple times from your passport and/or visa.

The one issue to be weary of is 'single entry' Schengen visas, which some people have - although far fewer than previously - as Gibraltar (like the UK and Ireland) is not part of the Schengen area. If you have a 'single entry' Schengen visa, then you would be exiting Schengen when you cross from Spain to Gibraltar.
Spanish and Gibraltar border agents are aware of this, and will usually stop and advise anyone who they think might have an issue (to check they do want to cross).

HOWEVER: Most people have multiple entry Schengen visas these days. And I don't know your nationality, but I know (for example) many US passport holders who have crossed a couple of times a day, etc. And people with multiple entry Schengen visas.

Indeed while we are on the topic, remember the basic guide rule that IF you need a visa for the UK (don't know your passport status), then you generally also need a Visa for Gibraltar - but it is a separate visa.

But I don't want to put you off at all. Formalities at the Gibraltar-Spain border are actually not demanding, usually just waved through, with a cursory glance. You might have heard about politically motivated queues caused by Spain at times - these are 'go slow' when they happen, - the Spanish border guards still don't really look at your stuff very closely - as that is their way of telling you (human to human) that they are being told to go slow from Madrid, rather than anything personal with you.

But as I said, loads of people cross back and forth every day.

Just keep in mind with 10k border workers, there is a 'rush hour' in the morning to get in before 9am, and the same to leave from about 4-6. Any politically motiviated queues are on top.

Which place is better to stay for several nights? Gibraltar or La Linea?
Several nights: Gibraltar - assuming you are visiting Gibraltar!

If exploring elsewhere, then elsewhere.

La Linea is indeed quite a poverty stricken town. There are only two hotels you could consider in La Linea:

Asur Hotel - which is walkable to the border.
AC Hotel La Linea by Marriott - which is a bit further, but a very fit person might want to walk it.

But if visiting Gibraltar over more than one day, I'd say stay in Gibraltar. And to contradict 'Spainlover' I'd happily stay in Gibraltar.

I will agree with him that Tarifa beach is nice and unspoilt, but that is visiting a different place, I would certainly NOT advise driving back and forth from Tarifa to visit Gibraltar.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks David for giving me more detail. ^ It's really helpful!! I will stay in Gibraltar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.