Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barcelona / BCN Arrivals Lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by skunker
Which i believe is where the OP is staying. I used google maps and there isn't an easy (i.e. nonstop) public transit option. She would have to make a change.
Especially if you haven't been on their metro before. But its an easy Metro and my wife and I left most of our luggage at the great storage lockers that BCN offers. So it was really only a big backpack for me - very manageable on their trains.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by george 3
I stayed at the Diagonal Mar which is in the northeast near a convention center and the Diagonal Mall about two years ago. And I remember the lite rail, although the metro station was a block away that we found more convenient. Then there is the one on Diagonal, but more in the office district area about two blocks from the Maria Cristina Green (dark) line station. I found it easy to confuse the two - the one on Diagonal is now referred to I believe as the Hilton Barcelona.
When I stayed in May, as today in the Hilton property lists, etc. it is definitely referred to as the "Hilton Diagonal Mar" ( on Passeig del Tualat).
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:46 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by catmndu
I stayed at this Hilton last year. It's a bit removed from the central core but there is a subway stop just a few blocks away. I took a taxi from/to the airport and my lack of Spanish was not a problem.
catmndu, did you find the hotel's distance from the center difficult to deal with? It does seem a little out of the way of most attractions, given it's in a more business-y district. I will be staying there tomorrow night for the weekend as well.

Originally Posted by JDiver
Well, kind of.

Passengers arriving from Schengen countries will in essence be arriving as domestic passengers; those arriving from non-Schengen airports will process immigration for an EU visa / entry, recover baggage and usually choose green (nothing to declare) or red (goods to declare) channels.

The Hilton Diagonal Mar is accessible to the light rail system a long block away. The property has a rooftop executive lounge and a lobby lounge. There is a mall with shopping, restaurants and supermarket across the street.

I'd be sure my companion's name is in the booking record to attempt early room access. As a registered guest, they're no longer wondering who this person is; with a credit card in your HHonors record, even better. Email bcndm.gm <at>hilton.com and let them know - best.
The Schengen agreement is actually quite nice, especially for US Citizens who always have to deal with US Customs & Immigration every time we come back to the US. Traveling through Schengen countries has more of less been a joke when it comes to identification...

We're at the Hilton Barcelona (on Avinguda Diagonal) as others have pointed out, though I'm not sure of the GM's email there.

It appears the GMs changed a few months ago (used to be Frank Breuker) but now I can't find any info for the current one.

Originally Posted by carlosdca
The best thing is for you to fly the night before and get a hotel, IMO. If check out time is noon, your friend can use the room to shower, take a nap and just decompress. I always say a real bed beats any lounge in the world.

There are a handful of very decent hotels around the airport for less than 100 euros. Check out BAH Barcelona Airport Hotel, Plaza Volatería, 3, 08820 El Prat de Llobregat, Spain, for example.

But does the hotel need be at the airport? Why not in the city? You can get to the airport by bus transfer, train or cab to go meet your friend up.
That's not a bad idea, especially because my flight only costs 30 euros :P

This is the problem we're having! :P We're not sure which one would be better. Perhaps it is all a wash.

I stayed in this hotel the first time in BCN. This is a hotel that with changes you can get to using the RENFE train from BCN to Sants Estacio station, then the metro (dark green line) to Maria Cristina station. The hotel is on the other side of the street (Diagonal) and back about a block and a half. If she has a ton of luggage, better to take car service. It's in a busy office district, but you can walk or bus to plenty of things to keep her busy. If she is Hilton elite, they have a great lounge, and great tapas before going out to eat (did some say Barceloneta?) here's the flyertalk forum for the hotel which can give you information about the location. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...barcelona.html
I've read that thread, it's helpful for what it's worth. She doesn't have HHonors status (maybe silver...?), but the reservation will be under my name.

I stayed at the Diagonal Mar which is in the northeast near a convention center and the Diagonal Mall about two years ago. And I remember the lite rail, although the metro station was a block away that we found more convenient. Then there is the one on Diagonal, but more in the office district area about two blocks from the Maria Cristina Green (dark) line station. I found it easy to confuse the two - the one on Diagonal is now referred to I believe as the Hilton Barcelona.
Originally Posted by skunker
Which i believe is where the OP is staying. I used google maps and there isn't an easy (i.e. nonstop) public transit option. She would have to make a change.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...classic&dg=brw
Right, we'll probably be at the Hilton Barcelona on Avinguda Diagonal. Really wish there was a better property more central. Alexandra Barcelona (DT) looks nice but doesn't (ever) have our preferred corporate rate available.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by bj27
Right, we'll probably be at the Hilton Barcelona on Avinguda Diagonal. Really wish there was a better property more central. Alexandra Barcelona (DT) looks nice but doesn't (ever) have our preferred corporate rate available.
The Alexandra Barcelona is a great hotel if you can get into it.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Originally Posted by bj27
catmndu, did you find the hotel's distance from the center difficult to deal with? It does seem a little out of the way of most attractions, given it's in a more business-y district. I will be staying there tomorrow night for the weekend as well.
It is really out of the way if you are looking to do touristy stuff other than perhaps go to a Barca soccer match..
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:58 pm

As this is less about American Airlines and more about BCN and Barcelona, we'll soon bel moving this to the proper destination forum.

/Moderator
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:33 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by Speedracer2
It is really out of the way if you are looking to do touristy stuff other than perhaps go to a Barca soccer match..
You were right.... I've had certain people tell me it's really not that far (especially on the Metro), but I was just there for 3 days and given our time frame, I would have rather been more central.

Hilton Barcelona was okay, though I'll be there again this weekend, and I booked an NH Hotel near Las Ramblas. Hard to get between Hilton Barcelona and airport unless you want to cab (which is what we did).
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:50 am

Programs: Delta, GM; HHonors, Gold
HELP! Arrival in Barcelona

Hi all!

Next week I'm flying in business on AA #66 JFK-BCN. We are arriving at 7:15 a.m. and cannot get into our room until noon. Are there any arrivals lounges that may be available to us as we're flying business class that might have food, showers, etc? Thank you!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by kimmielou01
Hi all!

Next week I'm flying in business on AA #66 JFK-BCN. We are arriving at 7:15 a.m. and cannot get into our room until noon. Are there any arrivals lounges that may be available to us as we're flying business class that might have food, showers, etc? Thank you!
Nothing land side unfortunately. There are lounges with showers but they are all airside and when you arrive in BCN you are immediately dumped into immigration, then baggage claim, then taxi stand.

Do you have status with the hotel where you are staying? Looking at your profile I assume you're staying at a Hilton. My experience with hotels in the EU is that if there are available rooms then they are pretty good about letting into your room early. Worst case you go to the hotel and leave your bags at the front desk and bump around Las Ramblas for a little bit.

Worst worst case and you absolutely need a room and a shower, you can email the hotel and book a room for the night before to ensure that there is a room for you the morning you arrive.

Go Gators
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by GNVGator
Nothing land side unfortunately. There are lounges with showers but they are all airside and when you arrive in BCN you are immediately dumped into immigration, then baggage claim, then taxi stand.

Do you have status with the hotel where you are staying? Looking at your profile I assume you're staying at a Hilton. My experience with hotels in the EU is that if there are available rooms then they are pretty good about letting into your room early. Worst case you go to the hotel and leave your bags at the front desk and bump around Las Ramblas for a little bit.

Worst worst case and you absolutely need a room and a shower, you can email the hotel and book a room for the night before to ensure that there is a room for you the morning you arrive.

Go Gators
That's exactly what we did - we left our bags with our concierge at the Hilton Mar (Diagonal?) in the eastern section of the city. Then set out on the Metro for adventures. If you are arriving on the weekend, it is not likely that you will be able to get into your room early as its generally the "B" team staff working housekeeping those days.

Edit - if it is the Hilton Mar, you may be able to change into swimming gear and use the pool if the temperature is acceptable. I can't remember if there are showers there or not.

Last edited by george 3; Mar 24, 2015 at 8:15 am Reason: Additional info
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
There was a thread with the exact same question a couple months ago; I'll see if I can find it.

Was in BCN twice last year. No lounges. You can take the train into town but you need to take the inter-terminal bus over to the station and then walk across a long bridge to the station. Not bad if you have small luggage. But, it all depends on where you are staying.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Barcelona#Get_in

FYI: on the way back, if you want to do any shopping do NOT go through passport control. All the shops are in the Schengen area and you cannot go back.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:45 am

As this question isn't pertinent to any particular airline, we have it in the destination forum (airport question).

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:34 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Just a bump on an old thread.

Has anything changed ? ie, is there an arrivals lounge at BCN ( as last post was a good few years ago. )

If there is not, its straight to a hotel.

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:13 am

No, still no arrivals lounge.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:19 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Originally Posted by Koby
No, still no arrivals lounge.

Many thanks. Was hoping there was now something like at T2 LHR. Oh well, hotel it is. Bit of a disappointment as the lounge is closed when we arrive..... so will look for a restaurant / takeaway on route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.