Wiki Posts
Search

Barcelona for a day

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa
Barcelona for a day

Hello everyone, my wife and I will be working on the "oasis of the seas" when it does a transatlantic trip this sept. We have a full day to ourselves after the cruise is over in Barcelona. We get off the boat at 8am and have a flight out early the next morning. This will b our first time in Spain. We are looking for help on a hotel for the night that is close to the cruise port, and also some suggestions on what to do for the day. We are not art or museum people.

After being on a transatlantic crossing I'm sure we would like to walk around a bit!!

Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Even those who aren't into art and museums should include a visit to see some of Gaudi's works while in Barcelona, particularly the Sagrada Familia. It's truly stunning, unique, and with a fascinating story. However, if you really are trying to avoid such things, a few other recommendations would be:

- Stroll through the Gothic Quarter: quaint, twisty streets line interesting little shops and restaurants. Along the way you can see the Cathedral of Santa Eulàlia and a section of the old Roman wall.

- Take the Port Cable Car up to the top of Montjuïc hill. From the top you can get a good view of the city, walk through the Olympic park, and continue on down back into town. When you get to the bottom, if you're there at the right time on the right day of the week, you can catch the show at the Magic Fountain. Dating back to 1929, it's the early precursor to those music and light fountain shows at places like the Bellagio.

- Catch the bus up to Park Guell on the edge of town (be sure to get a bus that goes to the top, since its otherwise a bit of a climb). The park is one of Gaudi's creations, so it's a chance to experience one of his works while staying outside. Besides the iconic design and tile work of the park itself, it's location offers great views across the city. Walking back down from the park isn't so bad, and the Lesseps subway station is at the bottom of the hill.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.hduquesadecardona.com

this hotel is within walking distance of the boat parking. we stayed for 2 weeks last year. cost a bit over 200 euro per night. the desk will take care of tickets for you. is a quiet hotel for grownups.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:51 pm

If you want to see everything in a day, take the city tour bus, i think some 27 Euros per person, its a hop on and off bus.

I personally enjoyed walking on the streets more than anything else, if you are going to visit Sagrada, ensure to book tickets in advance (online), it can get very crowded sometimes. It is worth every second you wait. Its so pretty from the inside

I was not able to visit, but the cable car to the mount is good (as others have said), if you want to visit a crowded beach, visit barceloneta, if you want lesser crowded beaches, just go 2-3 kms north of it. There are some hotels close to as well. However, hotels close to the port are very expensive imo. Because you are staying just for a day, I would not bother about it though.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa
Thanks for the ideas!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:16 am

If I only had a day to visit Barcelona I'll go to the Park Güell. It's beautiful, you can see Gaudi's print but it has nothing to do with museums, no queues like in Sagrada Familia and there are wonderful views of the city so you can have an idea of what Barcelona looks like.
I would also go for a good meal, there are plenty of magnificient restaurants. Dos cielos, atic, 2 palillos... Dos cielos is a great option if you want panoramic views and modern menu. They have a kind of sensor that makes beautiful maps of flavors, it's hard to explain better if you visit their site and look for an exemple.
La Boqueria is a market in las Ramblas, very famous because it's tradition, beauty and quality, you can get there a nice bottle of Spanish wine or some Jamón.

Of course, you have the Poble Espanyol, Montjuic Castle and gardens very close to the harbor. And between the Montjuic and Las Ramblas (which are a couple of streets away from the Gotic quarter) there is the Vela Hotel, a high quality one.

Barcelona it's a small city, you can visit many many things in one day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.