License requirements for Spain scooter rental

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Location: NYC (formative years spent wandering around ORD, hence the name)
Programs: NO STATUS WHATSOEVER!

I haven't been able to find a reputable source of info for licensing requirements to rent a scooter while in Spain (Formentera, to be exact).

I do not hold an EU license, but I do have a valid US (NY state) drivers' license valid for regular passenger cars but not motorcycles.

That said, there seems to be a consensus online that it is acceptable to present (1) a valid passport and (2) a non-EU passenger car license (with accompanying Int'l Driving Permit) which has been valid for at least 3 years.
  • Is that right?
  • I've had a valid driver's license for almost 15 years. Because NY, like all US states, requires you to renew your license from time to time, the "issue date" on my current license is in 2013. Does this mean I am ineligible for the "3 years" requirement?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: IB Platino (OW Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (ST Elite Plus), Priority Club Gold, Sol Melia Gold
A type B license (the usual) is good for scooters of up to 125cc in Spain and no license is needed for the ones below 50cc.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by JuanRos
A type B license (the usual) is good for scooters of up to 125cc in Spain and no license is needed for the ones below 50cc.
To clarify, the up to 125 rule with 3 years of experience is only for Spanish licenses. I believe ORD T4 will be limited to a 50 cc "ciclomotor".
Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:38 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
To clarify, the up to 125 rule with 3 years of experience is only for Spanish licenses. I believe ORD T4 will be limited to a 50 cc "ciclomotor".
It is certainly also the same for European licences. In February we were allowed to rent 125 ccm scooters with Norwegian B licences (car licenses)
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Location: NYC (formative years spent wandering around ORD, hence the name)
Programs: NO STATUS WHATSOEVER!
Thanks to all. Does anyone know how the 3 year requirement is proven, if not by the "issue date" on the license itself? Unfortunately, my New York license states that this physical card was issued in 2013, but does not state that I have had a driver's license for almost 15 years total. Is that something an IDP would clarify?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
An IDP is just a translation of your current license. You basically won't be able to prove the 3 year point from a US license. The EU license has a separate box on the back showing how long you have had each class and the specific expiration date for that class. I had that problem before I got my Spanish license a few years ago.

I could have sworn that the 3 year thing was only for Spain licenses, but I could be mistaken or they could take a very liberal view of the issue in Ibiza. Often times rental agencies really don't know the relevant laws as well as they should.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:34 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I could have sworn that the 3 year thing was only for Spain licenses, but I could be mistaken or they could take a very liberal view of the issue in Ibiza. Often times rental agencies really don't know the relevant laws as well as they should.
Basically, a EU country has to give the same rights to citizens of other EU countries as they do to their own citizens, when circumstances otherwise are the same. (Norway is not in the EU, but as an EEA country, many of the EU regulations are valid). So if Spanish citizens are allowed to drive 125ccm scooters with 3 years experience of driving cars, other Europeans have the same right in Spain. And the standard European driver's licence has a date of first issue in addition to a date of issue of the current document. As it is standardized, there is no need to translate it.

(My rental was in Gran Canaria, btw)
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:44 am

I'm not sure if someone is still reading this topic, but I just want to check if my US license is valid for scooter rental on Ibiza? I found the website called www.bikesbooking.com, they have many scooters for rent on Ibiza, but it's written that for non-EU residents International license is required. I have a moto license in US, is it sufficient or I need any special license? Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.