Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Speeding Ticket in Spain

Speeding Ticket in Spain

Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aleksir

So glad there's a 1KM warning before use!
Thanks.

Where can I find the "1KM warning" information? It's written somewhere?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by aleksir
Thanks for the picture! Was going to ask about bringing my passport but already found out that is a big no-no.

So glad there's a 1KM warning before use!
Be wary, it's not always required. They have to show something like that sudden braking in that area will cause significant danger. On the M-30 in Madrid they are often not at all signed. I generally set cruise just under 140 and then watch for radars so even if I get caught, it's the lowest possible fine.

Originally Posted by zznoname
Thanks for this page.
Glad to help.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
In the future watch out for these signs that indicate Radars (Though they exist without them as well)

[/QUOTE]

I'm traveling from Murcia to Sevilla at the start of August, is there any speeding cameras around that area.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Rusell
In the future watch out for these signs that indicate Radars (Though they exist without them as well)

I'm traveling from Murcia to Sevilla at the start of August, is there any speeding cameras around that area.[/QUOTE]

They definitely exist. http://www.dgt.es/portal/es/informac...&carretera=a92 has the list on the A92. You will also need to take a bit of the A7 leaving Murcia. (I'm assuming the city and not referring generally to the Autonomy)

http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/...perro/Mapa.htm

Just found that website doing a quick search in Spanish. If you have an iPhone or Android, I saw in the news that the DGT (the road agency) just released an app that will tell you as well. So just search for DGT or something along those lines. I can't guarantee anything is going to be in English though, if you're not aware, English knowledge is quite poor in Spain. Doubly so in Murcia/Andalucía.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I'm traveling from Murcia to Sevilla at the start of August, is there any speeding cameras around that area.
They definitely exist. http://www.dgt.es/portal/es/informac...&carretera=a92 has the list on the A92. You will also need to take a bit of the A7 leaving Murcia. (I'm assuming the city and not referring generally to the Autonomy)

Just found that website doing a quick search in Spanish. If you have an iPhone or Android, I saw in the news that the DGT (the road agency) just released an app that will tell you as well. So just search for DGT or something along those lines. I can't guarantee anything is going to be in English though, if you're not aware, English knowledge is quite poor in Spain. Doubly so in Murcia/Andalucía.[/QUOTE]

thanks for your help...that map shows everything. I have an ipad and android so i'll download both of them.

Also..i'm only driving for at the most 1-2 days,would I need an IDP to drive or will my Aust licence be enough.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Rusell
Also..i'm only driving for at the most 1-2 days,would I need an IDP to drive or will my Aust licence be enough.
IDP is a scam. It is not legally binding at all and only serves as a translation. Your foreign license should be good for up to 6 months of stay. I used to drive on my US license before I got the Spanish one.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 1:19 pm

These speeding cameras are very common everywhere in Europe, not unusual at all. I got tickets from France, Holland, Spain and of course multiple from Germany. There are also mobile ones that get moved around, so apps will not be able to warn you in all cases.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

IDP is a scam. It is not legally binding at all and only serves as a translation. Your foreign license should be good for up to 6 months of stay. I used to drive on my US license before I got the Spanish one.
Yes, but some countries require an IDP to secure a permit (however short) to drive in their country.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...Sri_Lanka.html
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:50 am

Yes, but some countries require an IDP to secure a permit (however short) to drive in their country.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...Sri_Lanka.html
Yes but it is mostly used to translate your language for the police to understand.

Since mine is in english, I shouldn't need it.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Alex71
These speeding cameras are very common everywhere in Europe, not unusual at all. I got tickets from France, Holland, Spain and of course multiple from Germany. There are also mobile ones that get moved around, so apps will not be able to warn you in all cases.
And there are nasty, sneaky camera set-ups that calculate your average speed over a couple of kilometres or more.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: Miles and More FTL; Miles and Bonus *G; Emirates
dont pay it. if the rental company charges your card, do a chargeback. the thing is that you would only pay half if you receive the notification on time - the rental company is probably pocketing the difference. I always pay my fines in Spain, but get 50% off for paying within 20 working days. This country is a mess, it is not as if they will keep it on record.

Car rental agency charged me 47e for processing and Spanish government wants 100e for speeding. They have photo proof.

Unlike our area in the states, we didn't realize in Spain, they have speeding cameras instead of police cars.

Does anyone have experience with these types of tickets?

Guess we should pay it, right?

Thanks.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: Miles and More FTL; Miles and Bonus *G; Emirates
Just get a GPS. There are speedcameras about every 40 km in Spain, the way I drive the 100 EUR investment in a GPS has paid off handsomely. Oh, and always avoid the AP roads unless you are very very short on time - the National Roads (A roads) are almost just as good, more pleasant and also toll free! Tolls are exorbitant, for a 100 km stretch in the costa del sol you are looking at at least 15 euros summer time and the time you gain is no more tan 10 min.

Just found that website doing a quick search in Spanish. If you have an iPhone or Android, I saw in the news that the DGT (the road agency) just released an app that will tell you as well. So just search for DGT or something along those lines. I can't guarantee anything is going to be in English though, if you're not aware, English knowledge is quite poor in Spain. Doubly so in Murcia/Andalucía.[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 7, 2013, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kataskopos
dont pay it. if the rental company charges your card, do a chargeback. the thing is that you would only pay half if you receive the notification on time - the rental company is probably pocketing the difference. I always pay my fines in Spain, but get 50% off for paying within 20 working days. This country is a mess, it is not as if they will keep it on record.
Years back it was "fun" blowing through Italian toll booths. Now with computers why bother? Got away with stuff before, now with a few bucks in our pocket and an old man mentality, it made more sense to pay.

Also helped we got the discount and easy to pay online If not for that, most likely would have blow off the ticket.

Nothing to do with the car agency. It's all explained above. All they did was find my address based on the plate number and rental date. They charged me a fee for that, stated on the agreement so no recourse.

The rest came from the Span government.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:10 pm

There seems to be a lot of Speed Cameras in Spain. The worldwide Trapster Trapmap might help save a few tickets.
Trapster is a pretty popular FREE phone app, but does need a data connection. Traps can be downloaded to GPS units as POI's.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
Resurrecting this thread with a question: can somebody please confirm that in Spain, if you get a speeding ticket the rental car agency will eventually pay the fine for you and charge your credit card for it?

I have not heard of any other country in the world where this is the case, and have firsthand experience of it in a few of them.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.