Community
Wiki Posts
Search

guidance on high speed rail Toledo to Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:03 am
Original Poster

guidance on high speed rail Toledo to Barcelona

Hi. I'm about to travel to Spain for the first time. Can I travel from Toledo to Barcelona on the high speed rail (AVE?)? Is there a non-stop, or will I have to transfer in Madrid? Also, can one buy rail tickets on-line in the US in advance of travel to Spain? I've heard the Spanisn rail website isn't user-friendly. Any advice very much appreciated by this first-time visitor.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
You will need to change trains in Madrid, but it's at the same station (Atocha) so should be very easy. the Madrid-Toledo line does not make any additional stops aside from those 2.
I have not been able to buy on the Renfe site in recent years, although it may be because I don't have any credit cards with European-style pin (you may not either). It is possible to do through a travel agent definitely - did so for work once.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:33 pm

As above. Your journey is by AVANT, which is nearly an AVE, from Toledo to Puerta de Atocha, Madrid and onward by AVE to Barcelona.

A simple guide to RENFE and greatly discounted ticket purchase - http://www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.h..._www.renfe.com

Sadly and mainly because of possible, but you may be lucky, credit and debit card compatibility problems (nothing to do with pin numbers) for those outside Europe I also give you this hugely comprehensive guide - http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-...ts.Online.html

There will never be discount between Toledo and Madrid.

Does this cover it?

Last edited by WomBatt; Apr 23, 2013 at 6:50 am
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:57 am

Hey Lumpy -did you ever return to see the responses or did I waste valuable time?
Old May 3, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: Flying and sleeping
I was able to purchase tickets on renfe.com, even without a PIN, for the Atocha -> Sants leg. We didn't decide to go to Toledo until we were already in Madrid.

Not sure what <redacted>, WomBatt. Even if Lumpy doesn't come back, someone else will be able to use it.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 6, 2014 at 8:44 pm Reason: redacted offensive, over-personalized remark
Old May 4, 2013, 4:49 am

djrez - nice netiquette!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:15 am

Both of you are right.

Originally Posted by djrez4
......someone else will be able to use it.
Thanks, very useful.

Originally Posted by WomBatt
nice netiquette!
I agree too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.