Wiki Posts
Search

Andalucian Advice: Seville, Granada, Cordoba & Malaga

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2012, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Andalucian Advice: Seville, Granada, Cordoba & Malaga

I've searched this forum and found some excellent advice from all the FT experts on Andalucia but was hoping for advice specific to my upcoming plans. I fly into Malaga arriving at 7 AM on a Thursday morning. From there I was planning to:

THU - head immediately to Seville
FRI - Seville
SAT - head to Cordoba
SUN - head to Granada
MON - back to Malaga (flight departs 10 PM)

My travel style is fairly aggressive, I like to see as much as I can though I appreciate those who prefer otherwise. My questions are:

1) Is the above itinerary sufficient to see the key sights in each city?
2) What is the best way to transport from each city to another and does this sequence make sense? i.e.:
- best way from Malaga to Seville, Seville to Cordoba, etc. I am open to re-arranging my sequence if there is a route that is better represented by bus/train/plane
3) Is there any conceivable way to see Ronda in between? Is this on the way to anything?

Thank you all in advance for your advice. I'm VERY excited for this trip and have seen great advice on this forum so I appreciate all the input.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
You're pushing it, but this, I think is doable.
AFAIK, the quickest way between Málaga and Sevilla is to take the high speed train through Córdoba. (1h55min).
You can do the same on the way back, stopping in Córdoba for a day trip between Seville and Málaga.

As for seeing Ronda, it's a bit out of the way, not on a major highway or train line.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 8:18 pm

This is a "teaser" itinerary - enough time to fall in love with Andalucia and not enough to see it in depth. Since you know you'll only be seeing the highlights, I think it's possible (and in fact I had a similar itinerary when I went). Enjoy it for what it is and plan on returning

You may want to consider a bus from Cordoba to Granada since trains run infrequently on that route on Sundays. Be sure to buy your Alhambra ticket in advance - if you only have one day, you'll want to make sure you can get in.

I haven't been to Ronda, so can't comment on whether it's "worth it", but it'll add at least 2 hours in transportation time. It makes most sense (geographically) between Malaga & Seville.

I personally think Malaga has a lot less charm than the other three locations on your list. I'm not clear on whether you plan on spending time there on Monday before flying out, but my personal suggestion would be to arrive just in time for your flight and allocate that extra time to either Seville or Granada. Cordoba is easily seen in a day.

On the chance your airfare is changeable, consider flying directly into Seville and/or out of Granada for a little more convenience.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Bqkali and Palal! I started booking tickets and saw just how aggressive this is - yikes! I am determined though so I ended up going Malaga, Granada, Cordoba then saving Seville for last.

I also bought Alhambra tickets for both days just in case -- I'm not sure I will have the energy to visit the Alhambra on the same day I travelled 10 hours so I wanted to hedge my bets for the next day.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bqkali
I personally think Malaga has a lot less charm than the other three locations on your list. I'm not clear on whether you plan on spending time there on Monday before flying out, but my personal suggestion would be to arrive just in time for your flight and allocate that extra time to either Seville or Granada. Cordoba is easily seen in a day.

On the chance your airfare is changeable, consider flying directly into Seville and/or out of Granada for a little more convenience.
Great point and no, I was planning to leave Malaga immediately for Granada to get my sightseeing in. Unfortunately, I'm on a nonstop from JFK to AGP so not much choice for flight changes.

Many thanks for all your input!!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: TA Platinum (Now LifeMiles Diamond), CO/CM Platinum. (Now UA Premier 1K) AMEX Platinum
Very aggressive indeed. Remember that most of this area closes from 2 pm to 5:30 pm for siesta, and some restaurants don't even open until 9:30 pm. I would recommend a rentacar for the amount of time you have. Until you get your clock straight you could drive when everything is closed.

We just did a larger version of this and also enjoyed Jerez, Cadiz, Baeza y Ubeda. Jerez and Baeza were really laid back and fun, but we also enjoyed Malaga a lot and could spend 4 days there without a problem. Cordova you need a two days to appreciate IMHO.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TacaCopaFlyer
Very aggressive indeed. Remember that most of this area closes from 2 pm to 5:30 pm for siesta, and some restaurants don't even open until 9:30 pm. I would recommend a rentacar for the amount of time you have. Until you get your clock straight you could drive when everything is closed.

We just did a larger version of this and also enjoyed Jerez, Cadiz, Baeza y Ubeda. Jerez and Baeza were really laid back and fun, but we also enjoyed Malaga a lot and could spend 4 days there without a problem. Cordova you need a two days to appreciate IMHO.
Thanks TacaCopaFlyer! Do the major sites close for siesta too? I was under the impression it was businesses that closed down so no shopping, banking, eating during siesta time.

I know what you mean, I am prepared --and EAGER -- to come back, even though I have yet to go. It's hard not to fall in love with anything in Spain.

I already booked my bus ticket to Granada unfortunately. I thought that the only major site in Cordoba was the Mezquita? Do the 2 days include soaking up the ambience?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 3:23 pm

On the contrary, I found plenty to do during siesta time, with the caveat being you need to research opening hours ahead of time. Not everything will be open mid-afternoon, but usually 1-2 attractions remain open and that's enough to keep you occupied with careful planning. Other options include buying picnic supplies ahead of time in the morning and then dining al fresco while everything shuts down anyway or simply walking through neighborhoods to take in the architecture, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about siesta.

In Cordoba, I was able to see the Mezquita, Medina Azahara, and walking through Old City & the Roman Bridge into a day without feeling rushed in the slightest. Of course everyone travels at a different pace and there is more to see/do should you have time, which Wandrlst88 does not.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bqkali
On the contrary, I found plenty to do during siesta time, with the caveat being you need to research opening hours ahead of time. Not everything will be open mid-afternoon, but usually 1-2 attractions remain open and that's enough to keep you occupied with careful planning. Other options include buying picnic supplies ahead of time in the morning and then dining al fresco while everything shuts down anyway or simply walking through neighborhoods to take in the architecture, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about siesta.

In Cordoba, I was able to see the Mezquita, Medina Azahara, and walking through Old City & the Roman Bridge into a day without feeling rushed in the slightest. Of course everyone travels at a different pace and there is more to see/do should you have time, which Wandrlst88 does not.
Thanks Bqkali! Yes, I am studying all the open/close times carefully since time is precious. I did hear Cordoba was particularly capricious with open/close times but hopefully I can time it right.

Great idea on buying supplies in the morning, I will definitely do so.

Wow, that is an impressive list -- I heard about Medina Azahara but it sounded like it might be too far away to try and do with Mezquita. Perhaps not? Can I see the Mezquita in an hour or is it quite large?

Just a few more days!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Wandrlst88
Can I see the Mezquita in an hour or is it quite large?
The Mezquita is HUGE. However, how long you spend taking it in is highly dependent on your interests. I took in the architecture, sat and meditated for a bit, and paused over any Arabic writing that caught my eye, but I'm usually one to move on after an hour. For me, the time I spent at the Mezquita was no different than what I'd normally spend at places like Notre Dame or La Sagrada Familia. If you tend to linger over the artwork or intracacies of the building, allow half a day.

Everyone has different preferences while traveling, and as you mentioned, time is precious. I prefer using my time enjoying long meals or hiking outside and others could spend days on end at an art museum or at the pool. Trust your instincts and plan accordingly.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Ok thanks for the input! I have a few contingencies built in timing-wise so it should be good I hope. Thanks again!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:27 am

This is the trip I did in December 2010. Budget was 1000 euros for 2 people, which we beat. 4 star hotels on booking.com. I planned the travel based on the high-speed train to Seville, and girlfriend planned the sights after that. Your statement
My travel style is fairly aggressive, I like to see as much as I can though I appreciate those who prefer otherwise.
applies to her, and she was happy so I think you will be too. We had no "siesta" problems, only flights and hotels were booked in advance.

Day 1: LON-GIB arrived 11am, crossed into Spain at 9pm, hotel in La Linea
Day 2: bus from La Linea to Malaga arriving 11am, bus from Malaga to Granada departing 7pm, hotel in Granada
Day 3: intended to take a train to Seville at 5pm, but because the train station is out of the way, it wasn't convenient to buy tickets until 4pm, and it was full. Had to take a bus. Hotel in Seville
Day 4: in Seville
Day 5: high speed train from Seville to Cordoba at 9am, hotel in Cordoba
Day 6: high speed train from Cordoba to Madrid at 9am, hotel in Madrid
Day 7: MAD-LON in the afternoon.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Would Malaga be a good base to explore Andalucia (i.e. day trips to Cordoba, Granada)?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 1:49 am

Presuming you mean Malaga, the city.

You can connect by high speed train to Cordoba, which could be as little as fortynine minutes each way. The car journey would be about two hours each way plus parking and finding your way.

To Granada by bus at not less than one and a half hours each way. A car much the same amount of time.

Many do see these cities as day trips from Malaga.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 9:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WomBatt
Presuming you mean Malaga, the city.

You can connect by high speed train to Cordoba, which could be as little as fortynine minutes each way. The car journey would be about two hours each way plus parking and finding your way.

To Granada by bus at not less than one and a half hours each way. A car much the same amount of time.

Many do see these cities as day trips from Malaga.
Yes, from Malaga city.
Taking the high speed train to Cordoba would probably be the most convenient, unless there is more to see along the way to Cordoba.
I think I still would drive a car to to see the Alhambra, same for Ronda.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.