Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting Madrid...Advice?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by choijw
Yes tourist trap with microwaved individual slice of paella (that one could get at the supermarket).
I'd actually steer clear of the paella in Madrid altogether. The city's nowhere near the water, and paella isn't really a regional strong suit. Paella in Valencia or Barcelona - totally. In Madrid, I'd stick to other things.

Of course, if you're really set on paella, you can get a good recommendation from a local or from a guidebook.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by sparkchaser
4. Do not order paella at any restaurant that has signs out front with pictures of paella.
I would think that not ordering anything from such a place would be an even better solution.

As for crime, I was in Barcelona last year and never had any problems, nor did I notice anything bad going on. Are we talking about Madrid being similar to Barcelona or is crime there much higher?
Old May 30, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by aster
I would think that not ordering anything from such a place would be an even better solution.

As for crime, I was in Barcelona last year and never had any problems, nor did I notice anything bad going on. Are we talking about Madrid being similar to Barcelona or is crime there much higher?
I think the two cities are probably similar. I've only been to Barcelona as a tourist, and I've never had any problems. I lived in Madrid for a year, though, and had a couple of minor incidents (attempted theft) myself and knew of others who had experienced similar problems, or worse (muggings, mostly.)

I would just say not to stress too much, take basic big-city precautions, and try not to look too much like a tourist.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I think the two cities are probably similar. I've only been to Barcelona as a tourist, and I've never had any problems. I lived in Madrid for a year, though, and had a couple of minor incidents (attempted theft) myself and knew of others who had experienced similar problems, or worse (muggings, mostly.)

I would just say not to stress too much, take basic big-city precautions, and try not to look too much like a tourist.
Okay so wearing a T-shirt that says "CANADA" is definitely out!

HAHA
Old May 30, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: KE MC
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I'd actually steer clear of the paella in Madrid altogether. The city's nowhere near the water, and paella isn't really a regional strong suit. Paella in Valencia or Barcelona - totally. In Madrid, I'd stick to other things.
IMO, seafood is very fresh in Madrid even if it is in the middle of a desert. I mentioned a seafood restaurant in my first post and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

A common misconception is that paella must contain seafood (paella de marisco or paella mixta). Valencian paella contains rabbit, chicken and beans. But since paella did come from Valencia, it's probably better to go to Catalan speaking regions for the authentic experience.

Last edited by choijw; May 30, 2012 at 10:28 am Reason: add paella came from Valencia
Old May 30, 2012, 10:34 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by choijw
IMO, seafood is very fresh in Madrid even if it is in the middle of a desert. I mentioned a seafood restaurant in my first post and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

A common misconception is that paella must contain seafood (paella de marisco or paella mixta). Valencian paella contains rabbit, chicken and beans.
Agreed. Unless I am mistaken, Madrid is Europe's only capital city that is not a major sea port at sea level. Despite that the seafood is amazing, Madrileńos don't take any nonsense when it comes to top drawer food.

As a solo traveller you can of course just belly up to a bar in Madrid, have yourself a beer and eat as you drink. I don't like dining alone in restaurants but don't mind at all sitting at a bar, having a beer, chatting with the locals and either eating the tapas that comes with the beer or ordering myself a little "ración" of something

A cheeky little empanada gallega bought with a beer

A tapa of cod, tomatoes, peppers, paprika and garlic that came free with that beer

Another freebie, Ciabatta and Salami

An awesome salmorejo also consumed with beer at the bar

Old May 30, 2012, 12:02 pm

Great food photos, JohnnyColombia.

As a matter of pedantry, though, Vienna, Budapest, Warsaw, Prague ... come readily to mind as European capitals that are not major sea ports.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Agreed. Unless I am mistaken, Madrid is Europe's only capital city that is not a major sea port at sea level. Despite that the seafood is amazing, Madrileńos don't take any nonsense when it comes to top drawer food.

As a solo traveller you can of course just belly up to a bar in Madrid, have yourself a beer and eat as you drink. I don't like dining alone in restaurants but don't mind at all sitting at a bar, having a beer, chatting with the locals and either eating the tapas that comes with the beer or ordering myself a little "ración" of something

A tapa of cod, tomatoes, peppers, paprika and garlic that came free with that beer

Another freebie, Ciabatta and Salami

An awesome salmorejo also consumed with beer at the bar

That's my plan...!
Old May 30, 2012, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Christopher
Great food photos, JohnnyColombia.

As a matter of pedantry, though, Vienna, Budapest, Warsaw, Prague ... come readily to mind as European capitals that are not major sea ports.
There you go. I was mistaken!

What am I misremembering? All of the above are still ports right? That eventually get to the sea somehow?
Old May 30, 2012, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by morphius909
That's my plan...!
I spent a week in Madrid last year after missing a connection, I have been to Madrid scores of times though and always try to time connections to give me a couple of hours in the city for lunch.

I'd like to give you some pointers but google maps is rubbish for Madrid so it is real difficult to work out where I was.

I spent most of my time either behind Plaza del Sol in the roads behind the road side (didn't explain that too well did I?) Around about Calle de Espoz y Mina.

Also Chueca has great places for a beer and some tapas and that's where I aim for when I am getting some lunch. That empanada gallega is just the other side of gran via, probably the first junction down Calle de Hortaleza.

I took a photo of the menu just in case you wanted to choose before you arrive

Of course, follow your nose, you cannot go far wrong.
Old May 30, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
A few years ago, I did a tapas tour. We met up and wandered around, stopping in various places for tapas and drinks. It was a fantastic evening and I learned about some tapas that I wouldn't have otherwise tried on my own.

I found the tour on TripAdvisor
Old May 30, 2012, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

I spent a week in Madrid last year after missing a connection, I have been to Madrid scores of times though and always try to time connections to give me a couple of hours in the city for lunch.

I'd like to give you some pointers but google maps is rubbish for Madrid so it is real difficult to work out where I was.

I spent most of my time either behind Plaza del Sol in the roads behind the road side (didn't explain that too well did I?) Around about Calle de Espoz y Mina.

Also Chueca has great places for a beer and some tapas and that's where I aim for when I am getting some lunch. That empanada gallega is just the other side of gran via, probably the first junction down Calle de Hortaleza.

I took a photo of the menu just in case you wanted to choose before you arrive

Of course, follow your nose, you cannot go far wrong.
First things first...need to pull out my Spanish-English Dictionary! LOL
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What the heck is that??

One thing is accurate, I can confirm that it is indeed very cheeky.

Making a pie with store bought puff pastry (hojaldre) and calling it 'empanada gallega' is just as bad as taking a portion of rice from the freezer, warming it in the microwave and calling it 'paella'.
At least you can still be blown away one day when you finally get to taste a real one, lucky you!

Anyway, here's where you can find a decent empanada gallega:
Museo del Pan Gallego (which is a bakery, not a museum)
http://www.loscincomejores.com/tiend...l-pan-gallego/

And I just found out about this place which is quite new but ticks all my boxes
http://elrincondelaempanadagallega.c..._category_id/7

Last edited by LapLap; Jun 1, 2012 at 3:07 am
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Back with more questions, more about general travel stuff:

-I land in Barcelona, then catch a Iberia flight to Madrid.
Is this going to be a gong show? Have 1 checked luggage (Uggg hate having checked luggage, but length of trip necessitates it)

-Cash or Credit in Spain? Is exchange easy? Should I do it at the Madrid airport or Barcelona? I'll need something before i leave the airport, the rest i| can get in Madrid city I presume (ATM?)

Its two days prior to my departure and I just got back from the US and have hardly prepped hate last minute running around!!
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:57 am

Cash in Spain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.