Wiki Posts
Search

Long stopover in Madrid - what to do??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2010, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Long stopover in Madrid - what to do??

My two 20+ y.o. sons may fly RT: JFK-JNB in July/August via Madrid with Iberia. The stop overs with Iberia are 15 and 10 hours. What do you suggest?

I am willing to pay for a single room near the airport so they can rest, have a shower, eat and maybe use the exercise room before checking out later in the day to catch the onward flight.

Suggestions? Options? Sitting in a lounge (with Priority Pass) purchased would be boring.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
That is plenty of time to hop the metro into the city.

Depending on how active you feel (after a shower at the lounge) you can head to Retiro Park, have a coffee, people watch, read a book in the sun, even nap on the grass.

Visit the Prado - one of the world's best museums

Have a great meal of tapas and wine
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: SAS
Get some ideas from:

http://www.esmadrid.com/en/portal.do?IDM=972&NM=2

You can download a brochure, with lots of practical info and tips for passengers in transit at madrid:

http://www.esmadrid.com/en/portal.do...ntificador=648
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
20+ guys do not need to rest; leave that up to us the 40+ crowd.

I would skip the hotel; head to downtown and there are tons of things to do; Retiro is a great park (think central park); there are several museums; tell them to head to Plaza Mayor and have lunch/dinner at El Museo del Jamon (not a museum at all but rather a great ham/pork place); They can also have a really nice meal at El Asador Real;
The airport is close by using the Metro and if they are really tired on the way back they can take a cab for probably 30 euros or so.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Go to this restaurant, "the Oldest Restaurant in the World," and have the suckling pig about which Hemingway wrote in "The Sun Also Rises." Wonderful food, wonderful atmosphere.

Restaurante Botín
www.botin.es
Calle de los Cuchilleros, 17
28005 Madrid, Spain
91 366 42 17

"We lunched upstairs at Botin´s. It is one of the best restaurants in the world. We had roast young suckling pig and drank rioja alta. Brett did not eat much. She never ate much. I ate a very big meal and drank three bottles of rioja alta.” - E. Hemingway

Last edited by Doc Savage; Mar 21, 2010 at 8:46 pm Reason: Memories of mouthwateringly good food....
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I personally think that the cochinillo is better in El Asador Real; El Botin has become too touristy in the last few years and the service has suffered.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I also think 20+ young guys don't need a hotel by the airport. Grab a backpack, take the Metro to city center (Station Sol, for example) and hang out there for a few hours.
If they absolutely need a hotel, I recommend the airport Hilton. Book AP to save money and hotel shuttle will pick up and drop off (free).
Old Apr 14, 2010, 6:44 am

Location: Usually Paris and Rome, but could be just about anywhere
Programs: Flying Blue
I'd agree that they should hop on the metro and see some of the town. They can ditch anything they don't want to carry at the left luggage lockers at the airport.

I had fun grazing through the Mercado de San Miguel last week on a stopover: http://www.mercadodesanmiguel.es/

As I have friends in Madrid, I have often schedule enough times between flights for a lunch or a museum. The metro to and from the airport is convenient, inexpensive and quick. There is really no reason not to go into town.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
yea forget shower/exercise have them hop on the Metro and head to Plaza del Sol.

great exercise walking around the center... small little restaurants to eat something, enjoy the scenery.

I was pleasantly surprised with Madrid, seemed like a cleaner city compared to Paris
Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:34 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer
yea forget shower/exercise have them hop on the Metro and head to Plaza del Sol.

great exercise walking around the center... small little restaurants to eat something, enjoy the scenery.

I was pleasantly surprised with Madrid, seemed like a cleaner city compared to Paris
The quickest/best way to Sol is to use the metro only as far as Nuevos Ministerios and then take the Renfe train. The train takes only around 3 minutes from Nuevos Ministerios to Sol.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Merci - Shokran and Thanks!!

Thanks EVERYONE for the advice. :-) The sons will have to make the final decision.. It seems that Iberia has a "Madrid Amigo" program if the stop-over is over 8 hours - and it is. Perhaps that program will help them make some decisions..

kp
Old May 3, 2010, 9:03 pm

Programs: NWA, UA Silver. Hilton Diamond
my friend and i 20+ were there a couple years ago. the best time we had after getting in was ditching our bags at the hostel and "bar hopping" tapas, beer, people watching. cant beat it, just dont over indulge on the beers before getting back on the plane. the martian cafe was the first place we stopped, big windows to watch traffic and people and air conditioned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.