Wiki Posts
Search

New Years in Portugal / Lisboa / Lisbon

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2009, 8:38 am
Original Poster

New Years in Portugal / Lisboa / Lisbon

Hello Everyone;
I (we = wife + nother couple) will be spending new years in Portugal / Lisboa / Lisbon....

Was wondering if anyone has good insight/recommendations of what to do/ where to go for new years itself...

Also, hotelwise, the best bet? priceline? direct? others? was aiming to have a good / clean / safe place somewhere along "baixa neighborhood" and pay up to / around 50-80 eur a night.

Thanks in advance,
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Couple of areas that you should probably consider for New Year's Eve:

a. Docas area. Three train stops from downtown (or a five minute, five euro cab ride), it's a restaurant/nightclub area concentrated along the water (under the bridge). Probably 15-20 different establishments and will be festive.

b. Bairro Alto. The main nightlife area of downtown Lisbon. Will be raucous and things will be hopping until 4:00 a.m. or so. Can be somewhat dicey in certain areas but that sort of adds to the allure.

c. Cascais. This is a small fishing village converted into a tourist area with a centralized nightlife area consisting mainly of pubs but it's usually pretty lively. Would take you 1/2 hour by train from downtown.

I think you will be challenged to find a hotel in the Baixia area over New Year's in that price range unless you go the Priceline route.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Diplomatico.

What do you think it's a good rate/ at baixa? to spend, or have other more direct suggestions? Priceline, wont let me limit baixa, as they only have one "area" there...

Docas or Alta seem interesting. Cascais I think we will visit during a day trip.

Thanks again
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by RedRobin
Thanks Diplomatico.

What do you think it's a good rate/ at baixa? to spend, or have other more direct suggestions? Priceline, wont let me limit baixa, as they only have one "area" there...

Docas or Alta seem interesting. Cascais I think we will visit during a day trip.

Thanks again
If you bid Priceline, the 4* hotels will likely either be Holiday Inn Continental or the Marriott and the 5* hotel is likely to be the Sheraton, based upon the latest information at BFT and Betterbidding.com.

You can google the locations of those and determine whether they're convenient enough for you. Marriott and Sheraton are a short taxi ride from Baixa...I think the Holiday Inn is a little less convenient, myself.

I'd guess you'll pay $150 and up for a four star in Baixa over New Year's but that's just a guess and is based upon no research.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Nov 16, 2009 at 3:01 pm Reason: Changed "downtown" to "Baixa"
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

was no go on priceline either... at least for now, so backup reservations were done at the IBIS LIBERDADE... 65 euro a night.. lets see what the holds....
Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by RedRobin
was no go on priceline either... at least for now, so backup reservations were done at the IBIS LIBERDADE... 65 euro a night.. lets see what the holds....
Not a bad location. You should be one or two metro stops from Baixa and could probably walk it in 10-15 mins if you wanted. Expect smallish rooms with no frills (that's Ibis) but generally they are clean and acceptable.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
An excellent and cheap alternative to hotels:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...ts-lisbon.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.