Wiki Posts
Search

Economical Hotel Recommendations in Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2009, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Economical Hotel Recommendations in Madrid

Doing a 1 1/2 day stay in Madrid in a couple weeks to finish up this years elite qualification. Never been there. I'm looking for: clean, basic, cheap and either good location or within a 5 or 10 min walk to metro. Been doing some snooping around, usually find a good deal in other European cities (Dublin: 45euros 4 blocks off Grafton, Frankfurt: Hotel Europa, 40 euros 2 mins walk from Hauptbanhof, etc) but having a little more trouble w/ Madrid for some reason. I'm not picky about amenities, internet would be nice tho. Clean and no creepy-crawlies of the two-, four- and/or 100-footed kind.

My questions are:

1. Would it be best for me to stay at a cheap "airport" hotel ($80 range seems doable) and take the metro to the city center for exploring? Or are there hotels in good neighborhoods near local metro stops that meet my cheapness requirements yet still allow me to get liquored up at night and find my way back successfully?

2. Or should I just pony up the $ and stay in a slightly more upscale place? If so, what neighborhoods should I be searching in? Max nightly budget is around $130.

Suggestions welcome! Thanks.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
You asked a lot of questions. I can only answer the airport/metro one:

"Metro
Madrid's Barajas Airport has Metro stations in Terminal T2 and the newer Terminal T4. Trains leave every 5 minutes from 6.00am to 2.00am. Line 8 goes straight to the newly reformed Nuevos Ministerios Metro station in the centre of Madrid, with a journey time of just 12 minutes. On your return it is even possible to check-in at this Metro station for some flights between the hours of 6.30am and 10.30pm. Please check with the airline first, because not all flights are available (e.g. there is no check-in for the Madrid-Barcelona shuttle flight, and many foreign airlines have no presence here yet). You can check in your luggage up to 24 hours (20 hours for some companies) maximum and 2 hours minimum before the flight but again, please check with the relevant airline because certain goods have to be checked in at the airport itself (live animals, dangerous goods, etc.).

The price of a single journey to or from the airport is currently 2 euros, which includes a 1 euro supplementary airport charge. If you already possess a valid Metro ticket, you can simply purchase the airport supplementary ticket for 1 euro."

The airport is a viable option in Madrid, IMO, although right downtown is always more convenient if not hugely more expensive. I tend to bid Priceline, researching on betterbidding. If PL isn't working, I try www.venere.com and www.hotels.com. If there is an event and things are really expensive, there is www.hostelbookers.com.

I do hope you get some specific hotel recommendations though. Sorry I can't supply those. I did get one of the Tryp hotels a few years ago, and it was very central and convenient. Not poshy, but had everything I needed.

Romelle
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Romelle! Didn't realize how convenient the Metro was to downtown - thought it was a 30 min journey or so. Good news.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 3:22 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Originally Posted by Romelle
You asked a lot of questions. I can only answer the airport/metro one:

"Metro
Madrid's Barajas Airport has Metro stations in Terminal T2 and the newer Terminal T4. Trains leave every 5 minutes from 6.00am to 2.00am. Line 8 goes straight to the newly reformed Nuevos Ministerios Metro station in the centre of Madrid, with a journey time of just 12 minutes. On your return it is even possible to check-in at this Metro station for some flights between the hours of 6.30am and 10.30pm. Please check with the airline first, because not all flights are available (e.g. there is no check-in for the Madrid-Barcelona shuttle flight, and many foreign airlines have no presence here yet). You can check in your luggage up to 24 hours (20 hours for some companies) maximum and 2 hours minimum before the flight but again, please check with the relevant airline because certain goods have to be checked in at the airport itself (live animals, dangerous goods, etc.).

The price of a single journey to or from the airport is currently 2 euros, which includes a 1 euro supplementary airport charge. If you already possess a valid Metro ticket, you can simply purchase the airport supplementary ticket for 1 euro."

The airport is a viable option in Madrid, IMO, although right downtown is always more convenient if not hugely more expensive. I tend to bid Priceline, researching on betterbidding. If PL isn't working, I try www.venere.com and www.hotels.com. If there is an event and things are really expensive, there is www.hostelbookers.com.

I do hope you get some specific hotel recommendations though. Sorry I can't supply those. I did get one of the Tryp hotels a few years ago, and it was very central and convenient. Not poshy, but had everything I needed.

Romelle
There are some inaccuracies here.

The last metro train from T4 leaves at 1.33am (access to the platform closes at 1.30), T1-2-3 a few minutes later.

The journey time to Nuevos Ministerios quoted is only for T1-2-3. You need to add appoximately another 5 minutes for T4.

I do not know of any hotels adjacent to the terminals (one is currently under construction, I believe) so staying "at the airport" would involve a shuttle bus or taxi ride.

There are some hotels at Campo de las Naciones (the next stop from T1-2-3 towards the city), for example the Novotel. Some might be within walking distance of the metro.

The best value hotel very near a metro stop I can think of is the Ibis near Suanzes on Line 5.

Alternatively, if you don't mind a 5-10 minute walk, I'd recommend the Travelodge Torrelaguna (nearest metro Barrio de la Concepcion, line 7).

More expensive are the Husa Paseo del Arte (very near Atocha metro) and Confortel All Suites (very near Alfonso XIII metro).

I've stayed at all of these at one time or another and have nothing negative to comment on.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 6:48 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
I forgot to add that my sister stayed at the Rafaelhoteles Las Ventas (a stone's throw from El Carmen on line 5) and very much enjoyed her stay.

Even though I was staying elsewhere, I saw the accommodation and thought it very nice.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I have friends in Madrid I've not needed to book a room there - not for many years.

However, a couple of my friends live in a street called Echegaray and there are many hotels and hostales/pensiones around there. It's a truly great zone for late evening/nightlife and convenient for sightseeing. I'm sure you'd really enjoy staying in this district (near Sol)

One of the hotels on Echegaray is Hotel Santander, rooms are around 59Euros.
http://www.thehotelsantandermadrid.c...nder_Home.html
Tripadvisor reviews confirm that they are clean but basic.

Last edited by LapLap; Nov 25, 2009 at 7:18 am
Old Nov 25, 2009, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all! Useful info all around. Unfortunately, something must be going on in Madrid on Sat Dec 5th. Holiday? Festival? Almost every hotel/hostal in the central district is booked! Santander, Travelodge, etc all full. There were plenty of rooms at the "airport" hotels around Barajas, so no worries. I did manage to find a 2 star for $100 a night at Puerta de Toledo, which looks like a decent place and not too much of a walk. I'm certainly looking forward to visiting!
Old Nov 26, 2009, 2:06 am

Madrid is a wonderful city and I'm sure you'll have a great time!
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
Any update on your stay?

I'm looking for a hotel for the end of January (single room). Thanks
Old Dec 14, 2009, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Retirementdreams,

www.venere.com is sometimes worth a shot when other methods aren't working.

Romelle

Last edited by Romelle; Dec 15, 2009 at 8:24 am
Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Madrid is a cheap city, specifically with the current crisis.

Room mate hotels is a trendy cheap hotel chain.

I have never stayed at theses properties, but had lunch in one of them.
The hotels are brand new, quite cheap with central location.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 7:16 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
We recently stayed at the El Prado hotel in Madrid--walking distance from museums and good restaurants. Suggest you google Maribel's buides for great information and tips--we used the recommendations a lot.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
We love the Kris Aeropuerto Hotel. Shuttle service and one of the BEST restaurant/shopping complexes around within a 5 minute walk from the Hotel. Restaurant and bar are very good as well. Usually runs around 50 euros a night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.