Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extend Rapid Reward Award

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2005, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Plat for Life, ET Gold, M&M FTL, UA Silver, EY Silver, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Question Extend Rapid Reward Award

Hi All!

I was wondering if there's a way to extend a Rapid Reward Award longer than the 1 year expiry - perhaps by using it for a ticket and then cancelling? Would you get a new certificate with a new expiry date? My coupons are good until May, but I want to fly WN in August... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:05 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
This question is answered in the SW Rapid Rewards FAQ.

Q: If I am unable to use my Award within 12 months, is it possible to extend the expiration date?
A: Yes, an Award may be extended for a $50 fee. You can simply mail the expired Award and a check or money order for the appropriate amount to:

Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards
P.O. Box 972739
Dallas, TX 75397-2739

It will take up to 30 days from the date we receive your request for Rapid Rewards Customer Service to process the new Award, which will be valid for 12 months from the date of reissue and will be deposited in your account with the new expiration date. All paper Award Tickets will be reissued as Ticketless Awards. Please note that extension requests will only be accepted from the Member who originally qualified for the Award. Extension requests from anyone other than the Member who originally qualified for the Award will be denied.

Last edited by BLI-Flyer; Jan 23, 2005 at 7:08 am
Old Jan 24, 2005, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
This question is answered in the SW Rapid Rewards FAQ.

It will take up to 30 days from the date we receive your request for Rapid Rewards Customer Service to process the new Award, which will be valid for 12 months from the date of reissue and will be deposited in your account with the new expiration date.
One thing I've wondered for a while, and not seen discussed, is how long does a person have to apply for the extension? Could a person take an award that expired, say, two years ago? Or is there some kind of time limit.

Additionally, once an award has been extended, can it be RE-extended if it's not used within the year?
Old Jan 24, 2005, 4:45 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Open question

I have been researching this question. Initial take is that you have 12 months after expiration, and after that it's an exception that they may grant you or not. I'll let you know after I send in my 2-year-old awards later this year.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 1:34 pm

Any way to get around the $50? I have an award that expires April 21st, and my wife just told me she wants to fly to visit her sister on April 22-25. She can't change the dates because all of her sisters already agreed on the date.

Any help is appreciated.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 3:47 pm
Original Member

yep, trade with someone who is traveling on an award before April 21.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 9:04 pm

Yes, except I only have 29... make that 30 posts, so I can't post on Coupon Connection.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 9:05 pm

If anyone reading this might be able to help me out with a trade, I would appreciate it. My certificate expires 4/21/05.

Now 31, only 69 to go.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 10:21 pm

My mom wanted to leave before it expired and come back after the expiration date, but SWA wouldn't let her...she could only use the voucher if she left AND came back before the expiration...they're pretty strict about the whole thing.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:16 am

Programs: Amtrak slumbercoach value club
Originally Posted by mir322
she could only use the voucher if she left AND came back before the expiration
Since each reward is actually made up of two one-way tickets, each segment stands on its own and must be completed by the expiration date. In a case like that, you could always book the outbound as RR and pay for the return on your own. You'd still eat 1/2 a free ticket, but that may be better than losing the whole thing.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 6:16 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by mir322
My mom wanted to leave before it expired and come back after the expiration date, but SWA wouldn't let her...she could only use the voucher if she left AND came back before the expiration...they're pretty strict about the whole thing.
Can't she pay $50 and extend the expiration date of the return ticket?
Old Feb 10, 2005, 6:40 am
Original Member

Probably not, since they won't process the extension until AFTER it expires. She would have to:

1. fly out on first leg
2. send in request and $50
3. wait for extension to be approved
4. make return reservation
5. fly back home

This looks much more complex than trading an award with someone.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:18 am

If two people are traveling and only one of the RR tickets expire during your trip you can use one ticket for both outgoing reservations and the other one for the return leg.

I don't think this applies to your situation but it might help others.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:25 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Tino
Probably not, since they won't process the extension until AFTER it expires.
This looks like a significant flaw in the RR system. But I'll bet that RR has the ability to void the old award before expiration and then issue the replacement if you give them a good reason to do so. This situation is a very good reason.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:44 pm

Programs: *G on UA, LuV
yeah I have 3 sets of awards expiring April 17.... and I am not flying much this year... mebbe time to pay up the $50 to extend each of them for another year.

did not know about this coupon exchange in this forum. thanks for mentioning it, something to aspire to.

Originally Posted by nsx
This looks like a significant flaw in the RR system. But I'll bet that RR has the ability to void the old award before expiration and then issue the replacement if you give them a good reason to do so. This situation is a very good reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.