Wiki Posts
Search

southwestgiftcard® Bonus Points Promotion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:01 am
Original Poster

southwestgiftcard® Bonus Points Promotion

I received an email today from southwest, through my registered RR account

"For a limited time only, you can earn 500 bonus points on every southwestgiftcard® purchase of $200 or more through December 9, 2013. The more purchases you make, the more bonus points you'll earn!

southwestgiftcards are easy to redeem online, by phone, or at the airport. And with no expiration date, your gift can be used toward any of our 85+ destinations at any time."

T&C: Member must purchase a southwestgiftcard valued at $200 or greater between December 2, 2013 and December 9, 2013. After purchase, Member must submit their southwestgiftcard purchase confirmation number, purchase date, purchase amount, name, and Rapid Rewards account number to www.southwest.com/giftcardpromo between December 2, 2013 and December 9, 2013.

There is a link which you can purchase the gift cards through Southwest but I'm thinking of buying at Staples with my Ink thereby earning the 5X points

Wondering if anyone else is getting this offer and buying cards outside the Southwest site then registering them?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
I got the offer. Not buying as we have 125,000 + points and more earned monthly and have CP; so we haven't bought a ticket in over a year.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
thanks for posting. You definitely need to purchase the gift cards online from Southwest since it verifies your order number.

although the bonus points do not count towards CP or A+ status, they are still useful to us: they will keep my son's points which are nearly 2 years old from expiring. He never got the dish network promo points.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
I got the 500 dish points [obtained while watching free TV inflight]; hubby did not.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: Southwest, Star Alliance, Marriott, United
Too good to be true?

I got the same promotion and read the fine print. There doesn't appear to be a limit on the number of cards you can purchase. Am I missing something? or is this basically a way to get free points?

-MK
Old Dec 6, 2013, 8:53 am

can anyone verify?

Has anyone actually done this for a card purchased at a store or at amazon.com and received the 500 points? Or, since those take a while to post, do you get an error message when attempting to register the card?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:50 am
Original Poster

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on this over the weekend, buying through staples and then registering the card.
The submit form on the link asks " confirmation number" "purchase date" and "amount"
Im assuming any card purchased and registered would qualify
We''ll see
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:17 pm

They've been wrong before, but I spoke to a Southwest customer service agent who told me this had to be purchased directly through southwest.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:04 am

FYI: Saw this posted on Facebook today.

Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by mango41
...is this basically a way to get free points?
It sure sounds like it.

I just bought one and "gifted" it to myself. So essentially I've paid $200 towards my next flight, plus earned 500 points from this promotion and earned an additional 400 points because I bought it using my SW Chase Visa. Sounds good to me.

I should still earn 6x (or 10x or 12x) when I buy my plane tickets, correct?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1

I should still earn 6x (or 10x or 12x) when I buy my plane tickets, correct?
When you complete the travel, not when you buy.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
500 bonus points per $200 purchase works out to 4.16% off (based on the current valuation of points), or 3.5% off (based on the 2014 redemption value of points).

This is in addition to any credit card earnings/rebate (however those get earned regardless of if you buy the giftcard or just buy travel)

Buying gift cards from a retailer is usually a better bet. I believe WN discounts the wholesale cost of gift cards sold at retailers by 10-20%. Retailers often pass on part of their savings via free gas or grocery discounts. Sam's club had $150 of Southwest gift cards for $138.88 last I saw.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
When you complete the travel, not when you buy.
Hmmmm, yeah good point. Thanks for the reminder!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:18 pm

Here its now Jan. 1 and I am surprised they have not credited my account with the 500 points yet. I wonder how long before they appear?

I did get 400 points (2x200) because I used the Chase Southwest Visa, but I am expecting a total of 900 not 400.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Here its now Jan. 1 and I am surprised they have not credited my account with the 500 points yet. I wonder how long before they appear?
Yay the 500 points showed up today! Feb. 11.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.