Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anyone Leaving WN (or reducing flights) because of Evolve?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2013, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP

Just curious if anyone is reducing their WN flights because of evolve. Being 6'2" and a 100% WN flyer (A+ for many years), I will be deviating next month. It's a longer flight and while taking WN is more convenient, I would rather have more comfort and be able to open my laptop then be squished like a sardine.
Old May 26, 2013, 9:13 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
No change here. For my short flights I am roughly indifferent to reduced comfort vs. presumably 4% higher fares if the old seating were restored.

The main reasons I don't switch are better flight options, no change fees, and better on-time performance. Rapid Rewards is no longer a major plus factor in the comparison with my other options.
Old May 26, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I already reduced my WN flying due to RR 2.0 and pretty much only fly the magic 25 flights to maintain my A- benefits. I hate Devolve so much that if another airline flew directs from ONT to SMF, OAK, SJC or LAS I'd drop to zero on WN.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: RR: A List Preferred. DL, UA, AA: may as well be nothing
Can't say I have reduced because of evolve. I don't like Evolve...don't care what the marketing hype says, at 6' 3" I can definitely say there is less legroom and the seat is not as comfortable, but what are the options? WN now has the same pitch as everyone else. No change fees keep me loyal...the moment they go away I'll see no difference to other airlines on my most frequent routes, then i will be loyal to the cheapest.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:04 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Unfortunately, it looks like the legacies are also moving in this direction. UA is installing new slimline seats on their A319s and A320s (and adding 1-2 rows in the process) which sound worse than WN's Evolve-- word is the pitch will be only 30". And while it hasn't gotten much attention, AA is using those same seats (as UA) on their new A319s and A321s, and I would not be surprised if those birds had worse pitch than what's currently found on AA mainline.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: RR: A List Preferred. DL, UA, AA: may as well be nothing
Originally Posted by dw
Unfortunately, it looks like the legacies are also moving in this direction. UA is installing new slimline seats on their A319s and A320s (and adding 1-2 rows in the process) which sound worse than WN's Evolve-- word is the pitch will be only 30". And while it hasn't gotten much attention, AA is using those same seats (as UA) on their new A319s and A321s, and I would not be surprised if those birds had worse pitch than what's currently found on AA mainline.

Ouch...I think I'll just quit flying.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
No. The deal breaker for me will be any devaluation of the companion pass or of the TTF policy.

The new seats are inferior. Nobody disputes that. But, for a one hour flight, I can endure chains and spikes.
Old May 26, 2013, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by dw
Unfortunately, it looks like the legacies are also moving in this direction. UA is installing new slimline seats on their A319s and A320s (and adding 1-2 rows in the process) which sound worse than WN's Evolve-- word is the pitch will be only 30.
Word from whom?

Our version of the seat will have several upgraded comfort features over the base model. These include multi-directional headrests, added lumbar support, and a different seat bottom cushion with more padding and multiple layers of soft memory foam. The literature seat pocket has been moved higher, which facilitates the above increase in knee space, and there’s a new amenity pocket specifically for personal items.
BoardingArea.com
Old May 27, 2013, 1:25 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
My main gripe is how, on some aircraft, it feels as if you're being dumped out of the seat onto the floor due to the slope of the bottom cushion. IMO this is not consistent on all the aircraft, or perhaps the the cushion flattens out some after it's been in service for a while?

Otherwise, I actually do like the reduced recline as it prevents the sensation of having the person in front of you reclining right into your face.
Old May 27, 2013, 3:25 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Evolve on the 737-700s is definitely a bit cramped. The seat comfort is hard to describe...I found the seat back to be well padded, but the seat cushion itself was uncomfortable. Legroom isn't quite as bad as sitting toward the back on an AA 738 or UA 738, but it's definitely worse than before. Haven't flown on a WN 738 yet, which I know is supposed to better. Can't say Evolve would stop me from flying WN. I've mostly reduced WN flying due to the devaluation of the frequent flyer program.
Old May 27, 2013, 5:57 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
As long as they remain competitive in price and the no change fee remains, I will mostly fly WN. For my flights they usually are competitive in price, though others seem to find differently.
Old May 27, 2013, 8:52 am

As I stated in another thread, I'm moving flights/conx greater than 3 hours. Only amounts to 2 or 3 round trips per year. Would rather use status on OAs, which provides Economy Comfort, discounted F ticket or upgrade.
Old May 27, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by EIPremier
Haven't flown on a WN 738 yet, which I know is supposed to better.
I flew in the 738 for the first time Thursday and they have the same uncormfortable seats. I was able to score an exit row seat and had ample legroom.
Old May 27, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines AP & CP; BA Gold
I'm not a fan of Evolve, but for my regular routes WN is the best solution.

SAN->AUS->SAN - WN provides the only direct flights...two a day.

PHX->AUS->PHX - The only other direct flight is US Airways and 3/4 of those are on regional jets that make Evolve seating on a 737-700 or 737-800 seem awesome!

I stopped flying American, US Airways and United due to their culture of lying to valued customers, dumping passengers into a customer service nightmare when things go wrong, and senior employees (AA FA's were the worst) with horrible attitudes.

I'll grumble about Evolve, but WN always makes me feel that they are pulling to get me where i need to go and won't knowingly lie to me.
Old May 27, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
VA recently started service from SJC. Ive heard good things about their service and my company pays for my tickets so I'm considering at least looking into them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.