Search

Southwest to rebrand itself as AirTran

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:24 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Southwest to rebrand itself as AirTran

DALLAS—Apr. 1, 2013

Southwest Airlines (LUV) today announced its intent to rename itself AirTran, changing all its operations to the AirTran brand.

Says Southwest spokesperson Justin Funz: "Ancillary fees are an integral part of Southwest's future plans. We had a lot of fun with the 'Bags Fly Free' marketing campaign, but we never meant to become known as a no-fee airline. After all, we initiated our industry's mad rush to charge fees for everything when we started charging for the third bag. The AirTran brand doesn't carry that 'no fee' baggage, if you'll pardon the pun. This is actually a very cost-effective way to free ourselves of the false image the Southwest brand now has in our passengers' minds.

We have decided to give our Customers what they have repeatedly told us they want by changing all our service to the AirTran brand. Our recently completed reservation system integration has eliminated the last obstacle to this service enhancement. The name change and related policy changes are expected to be completed by the end of 2013."

Although the details are not firm, Southwest intends to include in the rebranding assigned seating, a true Business class product (provisionally named This Time We Really Mean Business Class), and many new fees. There will even be a fee to earn frequent flier points, similar to the fees charged by rental car companies.

For business travelers who have trouble expensing fees and for other customers who don't want to get a headache computing the fees, Southwest will offer a variety of fee-inclusive bundled fares. These will range from Full Fare (all fees waived for traditionally free services) to the provisionally named "Kettle Fare" (three checked bags included and an assigned middle seat in one of the last 5 rows). An "Elliott" Fare will waive the first bag fee but eliminate any frequent flier earnings and the associated fee.

Southwest apparently feels that these changes will add some much-needed class to its operation. Says Funz: "We are really excited about our future as AirTran."

Herb Kelleher, Southwest's legendary co-founder and former CEO, was unavailable for comment.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: IC, WN, Hyatt, Avis
It is April Fool's day, right?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:31 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by zutalors
It is April Fool's day, right?
Ssssshhh!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I met their spokesman Mr. Funz on a SJC<->MIA flight a couple months ago. Sad to say it was like siting next to an empty seat.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 9:34 am

I miss the days when April Fools jokes were clever and/or funny. Sigh...
Old Apr 1, 2013, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by BradWI
I personally found it to be clever.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 9:54 am

I found it clever as well. All in good fun. It's your negative response that caused me to sigh...
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I give it a ^^
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
I know it's an april fool's joke. But sometimes April Fool's Jokes make more sense than real life decisions. I am going to miss Airtran.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
^

I agree. These April Fool's joke is getting kinda old on here.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
An "Elliott" Fare will waive the first bag fee but eliminate any frequent flier earnings and the associated fee.
Now that made me laugh!! ^
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by sierranevada
Now that made me laugh!! ^
Made me laugh but don't get the reference to "Elliott".

Actually wishful thinking in some aspects because that Business Class is so sweet and generally affordable / obtainable and would be a good use of points / credits....
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by joshua362
Made me laugh but don't get the reference to "Elliott".

Actually wishful thinking in some aspects because that Business Class is so sweet and generally affordable / obtainable and would be a good use of points / credits....
He is a travel consumer advocate who frequently bashes flyertalk - including not so subtle references in todays blog. He is against all frequent flyer programs and is continually predicting that they will die out.

http://elliott.org/blog/whatever-happened-to-mercy/
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by saneman
I know it's an april fool's joke. But sometimes April Fool's Jokes make more sense than real life decisions. I am going to miss Airtran.
+1000
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Airtran A+ Elite
I REALLY wish this was what was actually happening with Airtran/Southwest....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.