Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Sequestration" or Impact on travel (says Govt.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond

I don't know if it's related, or "prep" but I've been flying out of SJC for a few years and today they changed the line order. and made a big point of blocking off some of the scanning and screening lanes with the black pipes and stretchy ribbon.

Looked very dramatic.

Any thoughts or changes other travelers are starting to see beforehand?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
I noticed at ATL that they only had two lanes open in the "T" gate. Expert and families all being funneled through one of two scanners. The wait on Friday was 52 minutes.

Of course, that also described a normal day at ATL.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Chronicle Story:

http://www.sfgate.com/business/botto...rd-4295644.php

"How SFO and other local airports will be affected remains to be seen. Under sequestration, the majority of the Federal Aviation Administration's 40,000 workers would face temporary furloughs, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said this week. "The result will be felt across the country, as the volume of travel must be decreased," he said.

The Transportation Security Administration is also facing furloughs that will "substantially increase passenger wait times at airport security checkpoints," said Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano."
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
LAX terminal 1 security was a mess today...probably lots of Oscar gawkers going home.

Took about 20 minutes to clear, or about double the normal time. Strangely, the "fly by" lane was extremely long, too. Probably about 25-30 passengers in that line. Never saw that many before.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:44 pm

How about the impact on traffic?

Most of my flights are normally full of government employees. Suddenly they are empty. On a route I normally get A25-30, I suddenly got A16 (and then the flight got cancelled--probably too few people). I think there are fewer screeners, but it didn't slow me down since I was the only person in the security area...
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
There isn't going to be any impact because of the sequester. If you know what the sequester is, then you'd know that no budget is being cut. For one, there is no federal budget and there hasn't been for nearly 4 years. Two, the sequester only cuts 2% of FUTURE increases to programs and agencies. If there are any FAA or TSA layoffs, closures or slowdowns, this is all political theatre caused by the administration. There is NOTHING to worry about. It will all be reversed overnight if Obama tries to pull a fast one by doing this on Friday as the public will scream bloody murder and he'll be blamed for it regardless if he's trying to blame Republicans. He's the one that initiated this entire sequester nonsense. Go do a search for "Bob Woodward" on Google news to inform yourselves about it.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:08 am

Programs: HH Silver
From everything I have read, the cuts wouldnt start until April 1st anyway, so I think anything you are seeing now is just normal traffic.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I've got a 9 am in the morning. I'm going to get there early anyway. I know, one day early. They may be practicing for Friday.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:13 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I predict a non-event Friday.

I'd also like to thank posters here for keeping this forum a politics-free zone. It's not always easy to resist the temptation, but consider that there are hundreds upon hundreds of Internet forums to discuss politics but only one forum to discuss Southwest and get answers.

I haven't gone there to look, but the OMNI/PR forum probably has all kinds of food fighting about the sequester. I think I'll use my time some other way.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
i hope so. i have a flight tomorrow and will be leaving straight from work.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

"TSA: Hiring freeze could double checkpoint waits"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...reeze/1957731/
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Originally Posted by Wingrider
"TSA: Hiring freeze could double checkpoint waits"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...reeze/1957731/
This is going to make SAN even worse
Old Mar 2, 2013, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Texas Booster
I noticed at ATL that they only had two lanes open in the "T" gate. Expert and families all being funneled through one of two scanners. The wait on Friday was 52 minutes.

When the family and expert lines are merged, it is the epitome of being counter-productive. EWR is infamous for this.

Either someone was not thinking or wanted to create the appearance of a problem. Unfortunately, in certain industries, that will result in a job promotion.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 7:54 am

Don't know about others, but i had no problem getting through the airport yesterday (SAT) and the lines didn't look bad at SFO when I landed
Old Mar 2, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx

I'd also like to thank posters here for keeping this forum a politics-free zone. It's not always easy to resist the temptation, but consider that there are hundreds upon hundreds of Internet forums to discuss politics but only one forum to discuss Southwest and get answers.

I haven't gone there to look, but the OMNI/PR forum probably has all kinds of food fighting about the sequester. I think I'll use my time some other way.
I hang out at TS/S a lot. It's been pretty sane on this issue. That is probably because it has turned into a non-issue, so far anyway. I don't go to OMNI. My mental health is more important.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.