Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Double Points nationwide promo is now retroactively also double tier points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:23 am
Original Poster

I just read the Rapid Rewards Promo page and it appears, if I read it correctly that the nationwide double points, as of today, is now also nationwide double tier as well - take a look , am I right ?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Mister Nice
I just read the Rapid Rewards Promo page and it appears, if I read it correctly that the nationwide double points, as of today, is now also nationwide double tier as well - take a look , am I right ?
Yep...WN did a similar mid-promo change last year that caused a fair amount of confusion.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Yes it changed today. If you reg'd after 2/4 it does credit the double points towards A-List and A+, but *not* Companion Pass. If you are already reg'd for the original program, it looks like you're grandfathered in.

Sounds good, wonder why they would add this?

Revised fine print:

"Members who have already registered for the Nationwide Double Points and Milwaukee Double Tier Qualifying Points promotions between February 4, 2013 and February 19, 2013 will be automatically registered for this promotion, and additional registration is not required..."

"...Member will receive 12 bonus points and 12 bonus Tier Qualifying Points per dollar spent on Business Select Fares, ten bonus points and ten bonus Tier Qualifying Points per dollar spent on Anytime Fares, and six bonus points and six bonus Tier Qualifying Points per dollar spent on Wanna Get Away? Fares. Bonus points will count toward A-List and A-List Preferred qualification. Bonus points will not count toward Companion Pass qualification. Member will receive Rapid Rewards Bonus Points within four days of completion of entire ticket."

Previous fine print:
"...Member will receive 12 bonus points per dollar spent on Business Select Fares, ten bonus points per dollar spent on Anytime Fares, and six bonus points per dollar spent on Wanna Get Away? Fares. Bonus points will count toward A-List and A-List Preferred qualification. Bonus points will not count toward Companion Pass qualification. Member will receive bonus Tier Qualifying Points within four days after completion of entire ticket. "

Last edited by Wingrider; Feb 20, 2013 at 9:00 am
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Very cool - very subtle and quiet change but very positive change !
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:08 am

As I think about this, it doesn't do me any good. I'm flying SJC<->BUR Thursday and just the trip down easily locks me for A+ for 2014. So unless that expected 19,382 point run adds more points, the change in the plan for me doesn't do anything.

Congrats to those of you BIS fliers working your way up the tiers to A+.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: WN CP; WN A+; SPG Gold; Hertz Five Star Gold; Delta Silver Medallion; HHonors Silver
If anyone is also registered for the SWABIZ promo and this one, I wonder if it gets you triple tqp, doubt it though. I had been getting double tqp from the SWABIZ promo and maxed out a-list preferred already.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by LAXPLANNER
If anyone is also registered for the SWABIZ promo and this one, I wonder if it gets you triple tqp, doubt it though. I had been getting double tqp from the SWABIZ promo and maxed out a-list preferred already.
Yea that's the big question because it *reads* that way. I'll know tomorrow as my trips are very consistent so I could see the bump adding the previous promo to the SWAbiz promo.

If it does work out to triple, it would only be for about a week until the SWAbiz ends 2/28.

Last edited by Wingrider; Feb 20, 2013 at 9:48 am
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Looks like you don't have to re-book flights to qualify for the TQP promo. ^

Guess I'll be booking a lot of BS tickets in the next few months!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
WN just sent me the following e-mail:
Now you can earn double points
AND double Tier Qualifying Points nationwide!

Dear [SAT Lawyer]:

In addition to earning double points, you will now earn double Tier Qualifying Points for all your flights booked through Southwest Airlines® and completed by May 15, 2013! That means you can earn both reward flights and tier status twice as fast!

Since you have already registered for the Nationwide Double Points promotion, no additional action is required to start earning double Tier Qualifying Points for your flights. Simply book your flight through Southwest Airlines and complete your travel by May 15, 2013 to start earning double.
The fine print (emphasis mine):
Nationwide Double Points and Double Tier Qualifying Points Promotion Terms and Conditions: Effective February 20, 2013, the Nationwide Double Points and Double Tier Qualifying Points promotion will replace the Nationwide Double Points and Milwaukee Double Tier Qualifying Points promotions. Member must register for this promotion between February 20, 2013 and May 15, 2013. Members who have already registered for the Nationwide Double Points and Milwaukee Double Tier Qualifying Points promotions between February 4, 2013 and February 19, 2013 will be automatically registered for this promotion, and additional registration is not required. Registration must be completed prior to commencement of travel. Travel must be booked through Southwest Airlines between February 4, 2013 and May 15, 2013. Travel must be completed between February 20, 2013 and May 15, 2013. Qualifying bookings that were traveled between February 4, 2013 and February 19, 2013 will be awarded bonus points in accordance to the original Nationwide Double Points and Milwaukee Double Tier Qualifying Points promotion. Rapid Rewards® account number must be entered at the time of booking. Rapid Rewards earned points are calculated using base fare and excise tax. Member will receive 12 bonus points and 12 bonus Tier Qualifying Points per dollar spent on Business Select® Fares, ten bonus points and ten bonus Tier Qualifying Points per dollar spent on Anytime Fares, and six bonus points and six bonus Tier Qualifying Points per dollar spent on Wanna Get Away?® Fares. Bonus points are in addition to the standard flight points earned through Rapid Rewards. Bonus points will count toward A-List and A-List Preferred qualification. Bonus points will not count toward Companion Pass qualification. Member will receive Rapid Rewards Bonus Points within four days of completion of entire ticket. Award, Companion Pass, Southwest Vacation Packages, Jackpot Deals®, and reward travel do not qualify for this promotion. Changes made to the itinerary after purchase may eliminate qualification for promotion. All Rapid Rewards rules and regulations apply.

Nationwide Double Points and Milwaukee Double Points Promotions Terms and Conditions: Effective February 20, 2013, these two promotions will be combined and replaced by an enriched offer, the Nationwide Double Points and Double Tier Qualifying Points promotion, and all Members who have registered for the prior two promotions will be automatically registered and eligible for the new Nationwide Double Points and Double Tier Qualifying Points promotion. As of February 19, 2013, our records indicate that you have already registered for our Nationwide Double Points and Milwaukee Tier Qualifying Points promotion; therefore, no further registration is required to participate in the Nationwide Double Points and Double Tier Qualifying Points promotion.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Just got my confirmation by email too:

Now you can earn double points
AND double Tier Qualifying Points nationwide!

Dear FindAWay:

In addition to earning double points, you will now earn double Tier Qualifying Points for all your flights booked through Southwest Airlines® and completed by May 15, 2013! That means you can earn both reward flights and tier status twice as fast!

Since you have already registered for the Nationwide Double Points promotion, no additional action is required to start earning double Tier Qualifying Points for your flights. Simply book your flight through Southwest Airlines and complete your travel by May 15, 2013 to start earning double.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:02 am

I haven't received the email yet, but when I was reading the fine print I did notice it said I was registered for the promotion.

It was called out in the side column on the SW click n save sent 2/19.

Last edited by Wingrider; Feb 20, 2013 at 10:17 am
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Time for a little out of pocket spend. I've found that with Double Point+TQP promos it's often near breakeven to upfare the second lowest WGA fare in a market to BS, especially if flying on Fri/Sat. Not in all markets (I have a MDW-MSP coming up where the WGA is very inexpensive and they've jacked up the BS to something unreasonable) but certainly some of the busier ones.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred and CP, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
Interestingly, it appears this change applies to points that post on 2/20 or later, even if the flight occurred prior to 2/20. I took an evening flight on 2/19, and received double TQPs when the points posted this morning.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: WN A-List
Sweet, I've been holding off my business travel waiting for a double TQP promo.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:15 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
This promotion is bound to result in so many intra-California A-listers that they will all be getting B boarding numbers on commuter-heavy flights. My occasional A40 (as A-list preferred) will probably move down to A50.

Fortunately I don't care about the downgrade. I just want a cheap seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.