Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"More Rewards" cheaper than flying WN?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+ & CP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond, *wood Plat, National EE
"More Rewards" cheaper than flying WN?

I have used "More Rewards" in the past. Last summer the wife and I cashed in 70k points for 2 tickets to Kauai flying on Delta. We earned miles on DL and I thought it was a good deal ($400ish each fare if paying cash)

This program was set up or designed to allow for "International" options, and therefore lure travelers who want to redeem miles for travel outside of the US.

So today...out of curiosity. I decided to look up a domestic fare. My wife and I are looking to spend a long Weekend in NYC.

On WN flying PHX/LGA (with 1 plane change) WN points fares are 27,000-30,000+ points (each)...I have a CP so no cost for the wife. The flight times are less than ideal...I would have to return 6+ hours earlier than I would like.

Now...my "More Rewards" search.

PHX/JFK R/T nonstop on DL. 28,980 points. Perfect flight departure and return times. And I get the miles on DL and a likely upgrade as a PM.

If I wanted to more closely mirror my preferred departure/return times the WN cost jumps to 45k+ points.

1) I had no idea we could use "more rewards" to fly to Domestic locations
2) Why would an alternate airline be less or even point/cost neutral
3) I think this is great.

Has anyone else experienced or taken advantage of this?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by IflyfromPHX
I have used "More Rewards" in the past. Last summer the wife and I cashed in 70k points for 2 tickets to Kauai flying on Delta. We earned miles on DL and I thought it was a good deal ($400ish each fare if paying cash)

This program was set up or designed to allow for "International" options, and therefore lure travelers who want to redeem miles for travel outside of the US.

So today...out of curiosity. I decided to look up a domestic fare. My wife and I are looking to spend a long Weekend in NYC.

On WN flying PHX/LGA (with 1 plane change) WN points fares are 27,000-30,000+ points (each)...I have a CP so no cost for the wife. The flight times are less than ideal...I would have to return 6+ hours earlier than I would like.

PHX/JFK R/T nonstop on DL. 28,980 points. Perfect flight departure and return times. And I get the miles on DL and a likely upgrade as a PM.

If I wanted to more closely mirror my preferred departure/return times the WN cost jumps to 45k+ points.

I hadn't thought of this, either, but sounds like a potentially good idea. Seems to me that, in your case, (and mine), the CP for your wife's ticket is the deciding factor. I split my flying between WN and DL, and I will definitely check out More Rewards pricing on future DL (solo) flights.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+ & CP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond, *wood Plat, National EE
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
I hadn't thought of this, either, but sounds like a potentially good idea. Seems to me that, in your case, (and mine), the CP for your wife's ticket is the deciding factor. I split my flying between WN and DL, and I will definitely check out More Rewards pricing on future DL (solo) flights.
I did not mention...and for most it won't matter...but I usually hold 3-4 x $400 Delta VDB vouchers. I can only use these on my or very cheap R/Ts for the wife and I. I would use one of these for me and the more rewards flight for my wife.

On another note. The flight time (return) would kill our last day in NYC...vs. Delta taking a 7pm NS home. The 6pm WN departure was full fare (points) so that leg alone would have been 60k...on the day we are looking at.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:19 am

Curious how you got this to work. When I attempt to search domestic flights on the more rewards site, a pop-up states "Please choose an International city as an arrival or departure location" and it won't let me proceed.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:31 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Have you looked at taking one way with RR and the other direction with More Rewards?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:41 am
Original Poster

My search was:
Depart - PHX
Arrive - JFK
- Dates in April

My guess is that because JFK is not serviced by WN is the only reason it worked.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Did you also check PHX-EWR? I've found EWR to be less points and/or $ over LGA on WN.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Plat Exec

Questions:
- do you need to own a Southwest Credit Card?
- if you redeemed points for a Delta flight today, would you still earn miles? I am referring to the change that occurred last September: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...-full-mileage/
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sorka
Questions:
- do you need to own a Southwest Credit Card?
- if you redeemed points for a Delta flight today, would you still earn miles? I am referring to the change that occurred last September: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...-full-mileage/
1) Yes, you need to own a WN Chase CC to participate in "more rewards"
2) I do not know yet...but that is a good question. My summer flights were in August, so under the previous scheme. I received full MQMS and Bonus Miles credit last year.

Maybe someone who has booked a "more rewards" flight on Delta since the change will chime in.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:04 pm

My search was:
Depart - PHX
Arrive - JFK
- Dates in April

My guess is that because JFK is not serviced by WN is the only reason it worked.
Still didn't work for me searching Fri-Sun "long weekends" in April. Is anybody else having success searching for domestic flights?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
On WN flying PHX/LGA (with 1 plane change) WN points fares are 27,000-30,000+ points (each)

[...]

PHX/JFK R/T nonstop on DL. 28,980 points.
There is a hidden danger in this sort of thought process. In this case, it required fewer points. But WN points are essentially the same as cash. So you spent about $490 in "cash" on the DL ticket, less whatever mileage you earn.

If you could have redeemed DL miles themselves on the ticket, at low level, it would have been 25000 miles. That would give the DL miles a value of around 2 cents/mile - a pretty decent return, and higher than the fixed value of WN points.

Ultimately, depending on how you earn and redeem in a general sense, the better choice could have been a DL award redemption. But that wasn't listed as an option in your analysis.

(If DL didn't have availability, then this is a pretty creative way to make the situation work out and something I personally hadn't considered in the past...)
Old Jan 26, 2013, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Some additonal variables that I have noticed in continuing this search.

In using my windows laptop (IE). I got the same error that several of you did. "internationa cities only".

Using my iPad (my original search platform). I was able to search...and actually booked this flight. This may help those who have had issues.

Now as to why I personally used this method. I have several $400 Delta VDB vouchers that I need to use. I would prefer to fly Direct vs. Stop or Connect. I would prefer to earn miles and MQM for (my travel). This ticket was booked for my wife - so the potential reduciton of miles (3rd party booking) does not matter that much.

I know that, there may be better ways to redeem for better value. But, as an alternate option - I thought it was worth sharing. And as with everything...YMMV.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
OMG.. this is hilarious.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by qwertyasdfghzxcvbn
Still didn't work for me searching Fri-Sun "long weekends" in April. Is anybody else having success searching for domestic flights?
I was able to get a quote on an LAX - HNL trip, but not any others.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
BNA-ANC works. Might be handy for cruise passengers.

BNA-STT works as well. Technically USA but probably not considered domestic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.