Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

As of 1/21/2013 you can pay $40 to board with business select (revenue tickets only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

As of 1/21/2013 you can pay $40 to board with business select (revenue tickets only)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Anyone else do this yet? Apparently its new today... moved us from A54 to A2, pretty sweet...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
How did this work? Did you get an emailed offer? Was there a link on your WN upcoming flights page? Etc. Also, what was your original fare and what was BS at the time you booked? Thanks.

Edit- The following appears to be not what the OP is discussing (upgraded boarding position), but actual upgrading of your ticket to BS. I think.:

Added- I see where you can input this info yourself for your upcoming flight(s). It's at Air>Products>Business Select. But I don't see how to find the selection "Products" off the main page by clicking "Air."

If you go to the search field at upper right and input "upgrade to Business Select" it is the first link.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Jan 21, 2013 at 11:03 am
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Sorry for not having more info. At the gate we were about to board (MCO --> ATL) and they announced it was a new feature released today! So i went ahead and paid for it and she gave us A2...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by braddqq
Sorry for not having more info. At the gate we were about to board (MCO --> ATL) and they announced it was a new feature released today! So i went ahead and paid for it and she gave us A2...
This was to upgrade to BS with extra WN points, a drink, etc., or just the improved boarding position?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
This was to upgrade to BS with extra WN points, a drink, etc., or just the improved boarding position?
My understanding was that its for better boarding position only. I normally only purchase BS fares when I have a change of plans inside the 24 hour window so I don't get a poor boarding number. WN will lose with me because I'll quit buying BS fares and just pay $40 to get an A2 boarding number.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Simply an improved boarding position.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by braddqq
Simply an improved boarding position.
And did that get you one of the 3 "prized" seats, aka the exit row window/aisle or the infinite legroom seat?

If not, was the extra $40 worth it? A54 should have gotten you want you wanted outside of those 3 seats

I was A4 this morning and got shut out by A1, A2 & A3 who knew what they were doing. But it was 1/2 empty so a full row in the back just as good in the Devolve era.

Other times A30 is good enough to score. It all depends on the thrus and the experience of the other passengers ahead of you!

PS just saw a new release on this:

News Release Issued: Jan 21, 2013 (10:00am EST)
To view this release online and get more information about Southwest Airlines visit: http://southwest.investorroom.com/in...s=43&item=1740

Southwest Airlines Offers New Boarding Option
DALLAS, Jan. 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Southwest Airlines Customers LUV the coveted "A" boarding group, and now they have one more way to be among the first to board. Beginning today, Southwest Airlines will offer Customers the opportunity to purchase one of the earliest boarding positions at the gate for $40 per flight, when available.

"At Southwest, we have developed boarding options that fit a variety of our Customers' needs—from EarlyBird Check-In to our Business Select Fare," said Kevin Krone, Southwest Airlines Vice President of Marketing, Sales, and Distribution. "Offering Customers the option to improve their boarding position on day of travel is one more way we can offer the travel experience that best fits their needs."

This new boarding option will only be offered at the gate on the day of travel, beginning 45 minutes before the flight departs. Customers will hear an announcement in the gate area and will be able to purchase an available boarding position via credit card from a Customer Service Agent. Customers will only have the opportunity to purchase these positions if available. The airline successfully tested this new boarding option in San Diego last month, and received positive feedback.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by joshua362
And did that get you one of the 3 "prized" seats, aka the exit row window/aisle or the infinite legroom seat?

If not, was the extra $40 worth it? A54 should have gotten you want you wanted outside of those 3 seats

I was A4 this morning and got shut out by A1, A2 & A3 who knew what they were doing. But it was 1/2 empty so a full row in the back just as good in the Devolve era.

Other times A30 is good enough to score. It all depends on the thrus and the experience of the other passengers ahead of you!

PS just saw a new release on this:

News Release Issued: Jan 21, 2013 (10:00am EST)
To view this release online and get more information about Southwest Airlines visit: http://southwest.investorroom.com/in...s=43&item=1740

Southwest Airlines Offers New Boarding Option
DALLAS, Jan. 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Southwest Airlines Customers LUV the coveted "A" boarding group, and now they have one more way to be among the first to board. Beginning today, Southwest Airlines will offer Customers the opportunity to purchase one of the earliest boarding positions at the gate for $40 per flight, when available.

"At Southwest, we have developed boarding options that fit a variety of our Customers' needs—from EarlyBird Check-In to our Business Select Fare," said Kevin Krone, Southwest Airlines Vice President of Marketing, Sales, and Distribution. "Offering Customers the option to improve their boarding position on day of travel is one more way we can offer the travel experience that best fitstheir needs."

This new boarding option will only be offered at the gate on the day of travel, beginning 45 minutes before the flight departs. Customers will hear an announcement in the gate area and will be able to purchase an available boarding position via credit card from a Customer Service Agent. Customers will only have the opportunity to purchase these positions if available. The airline successfully tested this new boarding option in San Diego last month, and received positive feedback.
THIS is crap......devalues Alist/Alist pref. unbelievable. "George getting angry!"
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:47 am

Do you know in advance what number you will be getting for the extra money? Don't think it would be worth it unless assured of getting within the first 5 or so in hopes of premium seating.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by antinseattle
THIS is crap......devalues Alist/Alist pref. unbelievable. "George getting angry!"
You are correct sir! A screwing for sure. Big George getting angry too...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Angry

Somehow we need to start a petition or a letter or something from WN nation.....

I do enjoy most things on WN, and in return I am a strong revenue source for this co. I book many BS, and that's where I enjoy my A+/CP each year......

There is NO WAY I'm paying 40 bucks to go from A16 to A5 or whatever, to watch maybe 10 people jump me??? Ohhhhhhh, I feel a letter coming on......

WN lurkers......take note please
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:21 am

Here's the link to the press release for this new feature:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/southw...150000487.html

$40 at the gate gets you to at or near the front of the line. Doesn't look like any other sorts of upgrade perks (like more FF credit)...just a boost to the front.

It says that a limited number of these upgrades will be sold, though I'm not sure how many. *If* these are essentially early boarding slots to allow you to grab the added leg room of exit row, I'm still not sure it's really worth it. On a thru flight some or all exits may be taken. And if you're going for exit, it can matter a great deal if you're A2 or A8 or A14, especially if you hate middle or are flying with someone you want to sit next to.

EDIT: Apologies for posting the link already posted -- I had my posting incomplete on my desk when I got side tracked. By the time I finished it later and posted, someone else had already posted the link.

Last edited by knope2001; Jan 21, 2013 at 11:51 am
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Here's the existing thread on the topic (with previous reports of selling the boarding position too): New Fees Coming on WN: Sale of BP slots at gate begins 12/20/2012

It certainly devalues A-List a bit; but, if WN is able to limit further fares increases by collecting revenue from this new fee, I don't mind too much.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nsx, you might want to alter the title of this thread, as what the OP reports is not an upgrade to BS, but an upgraded boarding position only. Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:42 am

We knew this was coming, but it's still lame.

I suspect the "limited number" = all remaining open BS positions.

The fair thing to do would be to upgrade A-list passengers and then sell their old positions, but I suspect that's beyond the capabilities of WN's systems, or more trouble and effort on the part of the GAs than was decided would be desirable.

So, screw the most loyal customers! Money money money!

I myself wouldn't pay $40 to move up from an A position (especially on top of EBCI), and probably not from B unless it was near the end... but would consider it from C. If they start selling these 45 minutes prior to departure, then that doesn't help that late arriving, C-positioned customer (assuming they sell out by then). It will be interesting to see what kind of penetration this gets. I'm thinking we'll start seeing much fuller A1-15 queues.

I repeat, lame.

Last edited by ursine1; Jan 21, 2013 at 10:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.