Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest priority boarding

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Southwest priority boarding

Let's do the math on this one. Southwest does not list the total number of $10 priority boarding passes they sell for each flight. Their 737s hold 137 passengers. If everyone pays the extra $10, Southwest makes a tidy profit of $1370 and 47 people still get stuck in the middle seat!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:50 am

Cool story bro.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:40 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, geomon. Moving your thread to the Southwest Airlines Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
I doubt that all passengers will request the early bird check-in for $10. Many of the pax are A-List, and have no need for EB. Also, many will not buy EB, and will instead check-in at exactly T-24 hrs, hoping to get the best A boarding group number.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Well I bought an EB a few flights ago about a month ahead of schedule and got stuck in B. Obviously a lot of people are buying these. I got A-48 on a flight I booked in early August that I flew this past Monday. The novelty is starting to wear off for me.......
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:57 am

I've A-listed into the A-50's on several occations. I've also been in the low teens on many occations. A-16 today - I think that is the first non-BS position.

My understanding is that A-list is supposed to be ahead of EB? If so, then those EB's behind me must have been rethinking that $10 fee.

As far as I know, the only way to guarentee one of the first seats on the plane is to buy Business Select - and even then you don't get to displace all of the folks already seated on the plane who are just flying through.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DiamondsAren'tForever
I've A-listed into the A-50's on several occations. I've also been in the low teens on many occations. A-16 today - I think that is the first non-BS position.

My understanding is that A-list is supposed to be ahead of EB? If so, then those EB's behind me must have been rethinking that $10 fee.

As far as I know, the only way to guarentee one of the first seats on the plane is to buy Business Select - and even then you don't get to displace all of the folks already seated on the plane who are just flying through.
Or,

You can put on some pounds if needed and be a COS, you can lose some age and be an UM, you can be a newsperson with large camera equipment, a musician with a large musical instrument, in a wheelchair or even just temporarily hobbled, an LEO or a jump seat passenger. We all get to preboard.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
you can be a newsperson with large camera equipment
Media "pre-board" is now after the A group with families.

That being said when I worked at a newspaper and traveled extensively with camera gear that cost more than most Toyotas, I never had any trouble with WN. The FAs and pilots went out of their way to make sure my camera bag stayed on the plane. ^
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Media "pre-board" is now after the A group with families.

That being said when I worked at a newspaper and traveled extensively with camera gear that cost more than most Toyotas, I never had any trouble with WN. The FAs and pilots went out of their way to make sure my camera bag stayed on the plane. ^
Did that change recently?

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/flying...-pre-boarding/
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by ursine1
I don't think I'd trust that source.

But yes, it supposedly "changed" according to the WN folks I talked to in TUS. Although a friend of mine took advantage of it a couple weeks ago and went on after the wheelchairs. So it's YMMV.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
This is a scan of the preboard document I made some time back. When I fly again next month I will see if it has changed.

Old Nov 5, 2012, 8:44 pm

I don't believe its changed. I've happened to travel a couple times in the past few months with what looked like camera crews and they pre-boarded as usual. A friend who is a cameraman says he's seen no change, although he hasn't flown Southwest since July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.