Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double Jet Bridges?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2012, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Question Double Jet Bridges?

I have a (random) question that maybe some of you will be able to answer. I noticed the other day that the Southwest gates (and only the Southwest gates) at ALB have two jetbridges. I know that very few airports have this, so I'm wondering if Southwest has decided to actually use them, and how they would do so with their special boarding procedure? Double jetbridges seems a little overboard for a ~120-seat airplane, IMO.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!
Old Jan 1, 2012, 2:55 pm
Suspended

The dual-jetbridges in ALB are the only ones in the system and I believe they have been there the entire time Southwest has served ALB.

There used to be one in DAL and one in AUS, but they were removed years ago.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Originally Posted by N702ML
The dual-jetbridges in ALB are the only ones in the system and I believe they have been there the entire time Southwest has served ALB.

There used to be one in DAL and one in AUS, but they were removed years ago.
So do they actually use both, or is the back one just raised up out of the way?
Old Jan 1, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Not sure what they do out there in Albany, but in Burbank, the boarding process is identical to any other WN city.

Since BUR boards from the front and rear, the smart folks go to the back and walk forward to the exit row. Some of these same people can be found in row 22-23 on flights to BUR.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Not sure what they do out there in Albany, but in Burbank, the boarding process is identical to any other WN city.

Since BUR boards from the front and rear, the smart folks go to the back and walk forward to the exit row. Some of these same people can be found in row 22-23 on flights to BUR.
Ah...so with the dual jet bridges, people simply get a choice of what jetway to use? You'd think Southwest would board one group through one jetway and another group through the other jetway.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
The current process results in more exciting arguments as the rear-door sophisticates race forward and collide with the front-door exit row enthusiasts who think being first through the front door results in them snagging the exit row.

It's a linear version of musical chairs combined with a human demolition derby in the middle!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:50 am

I "think" the ones at DAL & AUS (no longer in use) were purchased by Southwest.

Dual bridges may shorten Southwest's turnaround
Dallas Business Journal
May 21, 2000

The ones at ALB were purchased by the airport

Albany airport to purchase dual loading bridges
Associated Press
September 22, 2002
Old Jan 3, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by nytraveller53
So do they actually use both, or is the back one just raised up out of the way?
ALB was my home airport for about 10 years. They use both bridges when boarding, and only the front when deplaning. More than a couple times, there was a mad dash from the opposite ends of the plane, trying to get to the exit rows, as those in front were generally held up by the last of the preboarders.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mritty
ALB was my home airport for about 10 years. They use both bridges when boarding, and only the front when deplaning. More than a couple times, there was a mad dash from the opposite ends of the plane, trying to get to the exit rows, as those in front were generally held up by the last of the preboarders.
I fly to ALB twice per year. They do use the rear door for deplaning but it takes a bit longer to set it up. Quite a few generally get off in front before the rear passengers can leave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.