Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peanut Allergy PreBoard?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Peanut Allergy PreBoard?

Had a situation last week on a flight out of SMF to ABQ. One of the teenagers, who was about 12-14 years of age was allowed a blue preboarding card because she had a peanut allergy. Unfortunately she had a family of 8 traveling with her and all were allowed to preboard. Is this standard? Of course when I boarded (A16) all the first several rows was filled with her entourage.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
Originally Posted by HBFlyer
Had a situation last week on a flight out of SMF to ABQ. One of the teenagers, who was about 12-14 years of age was allowed a blue preboarding card because she had a peanut allergy. Unfortunately she had a family of 8 traveling with her and all were allowed to preboard. Is this standard? Of course when I boarded (A16) all the first several rows was filled with her entourage.
This is just my opinion, but shouldn't SWA allow one (1) adult over the age of 18 to pre-board with her? That seems fait. Beyoind that, the other family members hould have to wait their turn and board with their assigned boarding number.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: HHSilver;SWACompanion;AA;CO
Sounds like a crock, to me. She should have been allowed to board with one parent, at the most. Everyone else should have boarded at their assigned position.

I find it hard to believe that ANYONE with a genuine, serious, peanut allergy would even travel on SW. It's not like they sanitize ANYTHING on those planes on a turnaround. The oil & dust from the nuts is on every conceivable surface, FAs hands, bathrooms, etc.

May be just a rather creative way to get 9 people their seats of choice, in my opinion.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
Originally Posted by swaluvr
Sounds like a crock, to me. She should have been allowed to board with one parent, at the most. Everyone else should have boarded at their assigned position.

I find it hard to believe that ANYONE with a genuine, serious, peanut allergy would even travel on SW. It's not like they sanitize ANYTHING on those planes on a turnaround. The oil & dust from the nuts is on every conceivable surface, FAs hands, bathrooms, etc.

May be just a rather creative way to get 9 people their seats of choice, in my opinion.
They saved $90.00 in EBCI!
Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I don't want to get into the issue of peanut allergies on planes, per se, but what about a peanut allergy could justify a preboard? Is it just some kind of consolation prize in case they're put at risk?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:32 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
I don't want to get into the issue of peanut allergies on planes, per se, but what about a peanut allergy could justify a preboard? Is it just some kind of consolation prize in case they're put at risk?
I think it's so they have a chance to clean their favorite seats on the plane before they sit in them. I don't really think it would do that much good unless you see them boarding with a steam cleaner or something though. Then again, with early boarding, they would have space to store one in the overhead bins
Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
I was just wondering the same thing.

I've had melanoma. If I get it again, it could be deadly.

Can I preboard, too?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PTravel
Can I preboard, too?
Only if you have a documented fear of flying that is remedied by sitting at the exit row.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
The preboard is so that the seats and area can be thoroughly wiped down and "cleaned" before the regular passengers load. If one has a mild peanut allergy, this preventive measure can prevent an attack.

However, those with severe allergies would not get a lot of success in doing this. The WN aircraft is full of peanut residue and would set of someone that was very sensitive.

More on peanut allergies and WN.

Preboarding? I could find nothing about a limit on the number of assistants.

And for your reading enjoyment CFR 14 Part 382. (Warning 136 page pdf of legaleze and regulatory language.)

There is this from boarding school:

Prior to general boarding, preboarding is available for Customers who have specific seating needs to accommodate their disability and/or need assistance in boarding the aircraft or stowing an assistive device. If you have a disability and require preboarding, you should request a blue preboarding sleeve from our Customer Service Agent positioned at the departure gate. The sleeve serves as notification to our Operations (Boarding) Agent that you need to preboard. It's important to keep in mind that Customers who preboard may not occupy an emergency exit seat. Customers with disabilities who have any other special needs related to boarding should speak with a Customer Service Agent at the departure gate.
So, the number that may board with the preboarder appears to be at the discretion of the OA.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Peanut allergies my A**

Did the kid needs assistant down the jetway or being wheeled down a wheelchair?

I didn't think so.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:54 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Relevance?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:08 pm

Programs: United Silver
Originally Posted by SDCA
Peanut allergies my A**

I didn't think so.
Someone mentioned on here a few weeks ago about how their child has a peanut allergy, and why it's important for them to preboard. It seems like there could be good reasons, but I can't imagine why eight other people need to preboard with them. One at most, and that's only if they are a minor. Otherwise, it just cheapens EBCI, which isn't good for WN or for anyone.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 5:44 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
The preboard is so that the seats and area can be thoroughly wiped down and "cleaned" before the regular passengers load. If one has a mild peanut allergy, this preventive measure can prevent an attack.
The way I see it, this would be exactly the opposite of the thing to do. Would it not make more sense for the allergic person to board *after* his family has taken their seats and cleaned them for him? If he gets on the plane first, he gets on while all the "peanut residue" is there, thus promoting the chance of a reaction. What difference does it make if the seat is cleaned while he's sitting there? He's still there before the cleaning!

Last edited by mritty; Jul 16, 2011 at 5:45 am Reason: html->bbcode
Old Jul 16, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by SDCA
Peanut allergies my A**

I didn't think so.
I tend to agree. If a person actually has that serious of a peanut allergy, SW is the last airline they would want to fly. Wiping down the seat is not going to do anything when the entire plane was full of peanut dust 30 minutes prior.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by redheadtempe33
I tend to agree. If a person actually has that serious of a peanut allergy, SW is the last airline they would want to fly. Wiping down the seat is not going to do anything when the entire plane was full of peanut dust 30 minutes prior.
I gotta agree too. Spending a couple hours in an enclosed metal tube filled with peanut residue doesn't sound like a smart thing for someone with severe peanut allergies to do. They should probably fly Delta as long as they don't have a Biscoff allergy too.

Out of curiosity, if someone has a peanut allergy, will WN not serve peanuts on the flight? It doesn't seem like wiping down your seat will help if the person in the row behind you opens up a bag of peanuts later on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.