Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Sad Day For This Proud Airline

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest CP A List, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Pure Platinum, Body Shop VIP
A Sad Day For This Proud Airline

3 1 2011

It is hard to imagine that Southwest Airlines- the Airline that once was the vanguard of Internet commerce has suffered a day like today...

It is hard to imagine that in the year 2011 that a company could allow their website to be down for the whole day and deny access to their most loyal customers...

Is this a harbinger for things to come from RR 2.0?

In your opinion how does Southwest rectify this situation?

And by the way, how many of you like the "Green Stamps" aspect to purchasing tickets and receiving points. Does getting 12 points per dollar make you want to purchase a higher fare vs. purchasing a WGA?

I am really disappointed in IT and feel like Gary Kelley has sabotaged much of the goodwill that Herb created.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:23 pm

It is going to take Southwest a good amount of time to make up for this disaster of a day in my book.

They couldn't practice this changeover on a different system so it implemented properly?

What a joke. I just hope their IT department aren't the ones in charge of servicing the planes!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:30 pm

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)
Let's not be completely ridiculous now people. A little over the top maybe? It was the first day of the RR 2.0 system and it had issues. It's not really that big of a deal.

The operational network outage was a completely separate and freak thing. In fact the outage took place from Southwest's telecommunications provider's end. It wasn't even their fault.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by num1bearsfan
Let's not be completely ridiculous now people. A little over the top maybe? It was the first day of the RR 2.0 system and it had issues. It's not really that big of a deal.
Not that big of a deal? Try checking in or booking a flight right now on southwest.com. Any luck? NO! Just a bunch of random error messages. This is the kind of thing you expect from a low budget start up company. Not an established billion dollar airline!

A glitch here or there during the RR transition is one thing...this is an almost total meltdown.

They'd be better off pulling down their whole site and putting up a message that says they are working on the problem. Instead they leave their broken site up all day. I'm embarrassed for Southwest and embarrassed to be a customer/fan of Southwest.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest CP A List, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Pure Platinum, Body Shop VIP

The operational network outage was a completely separate and freak thing. In fact the outage took place from Southwest's telecommunications provider's end. It wasn't even their fault.
Really num1bearsfan? The Devil is in the details here.

What part of my post do you disagree with? Do you think GK is doing a good job as CEO? The current stock price is not reflecting that...

This company is making poor decisions after having made excellent decisions for almost 40 years. Do you think the current website is better than it was in 2009?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:45 pm

Do you think the current website is better than it was in 2009?
I for one am pretty sure the current website is not better than the one in 2009. This website DOESN'T WORK! It's a bunch of broken links.

Get it together Southwest. This is insane.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I am shocked that the transition wasn't made over a weekend, but that's just me. The website worked (sort of) for me today.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:16 pm

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)
Originally Posted by Thomas Parke D'Invilliers
Really num1bearsfan? The Devil is in the details here.

What part of my post do you disagree with? Do you think GK is doing a good job as CEO? The current stock price is not reflecting that...

This company is making poor decisions after having made excellent decisions for almost 40 years. Do you think the current website is better than it was in 2009?

I think Gary Kelly is doing a fine job as CEO. Airline stock prices are volatile and subject to swings based on a number of market conditions. Bottom line is Southwest is profitable. Period. Our planes are full. Period. We're opening new cities all the time. Period. Things seem pretty good to me, and I'm also pretty sure that if any airline could snap their fingers and trade places with Southwest - they would. I'll field arguments on these points as well.

The website is down. It's not nearly as big of a deal as you think. Obviously you're no IT expert. No website has 100% uptime and site maintenance would not be able to get done if a website had 100% uptime (which is not even achievable). Quit trying to make this out to being some sort of significant 9/11 esque day. You're being completely silly.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:49 pm

I'll give 'em one bad day........

but PLEASE get the site back.

WN should give EVERYONE traveling today some sort of restitution. I got slammed multiple ways - couldn't use the web site, couldn't get through calling and my flight ended up being really late.

Better luck tomorrow WN. We still love you but.............
Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:13 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Tried to log into my RR account and was prompted to update my username and two security questions.

Then, just error messages.

I actually had hopes that WN could pull off this system transition without too much interruption.

Now I am pessimistic that my flights today will even be credited without a fight.

Gary---back off on the loud pedal of advertising and promotion.

Floor the pedal of data processing improvements.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:37 am

Programs: AA EXP; WN CP; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Marriott Plat; PC Plat
I think Gary Kelly is doing a fine job as CEO. Airline stock prices are volatile and subject to swings based on a number of market conditions. Bottom line is Southwest is profitable. Period. Our planes are full. Period. We're opening new cities all the time. Period. Things seem pretty good to me, and I'm also pretty sure that if any airline could snap their fingers and trade places with Southwest - they would. I'll field arguments on these points as well.

The website is down. It's not nearly as big of a deal as you think. Obviously you're no IT expert. No website has 100% uptime and site maintenance would not be able to get done if a website had 100% uptime (which is not even achievable). Quit trying to make this out to being some sort of significant 9/11 esque day. You're being completely silly.
Me thinks you need to lay off the kool-aid.

So frustrated with attempts to work with the Southwest site today, I decided to travel on another airline.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:27 am
Original Poster

@num1bearsfan- I find it very telling that an employee needs to shout down to me- a customer and stockholder- about all is well at LUV.

All is not well at Southwest. This company that I know as well as my own hand-is making mistakes.

Please answer my question- do you think that the current website is better than the one in existence in 2009?

Do you think that LUV has moved away from the idea of keeping things simple?

A new RR program that is really more complicated than necessary.

Do you think that today was a succesful launch of RR 2.0?

Please do not attempt to teach me about the vagaries of an airline's stock price. Wall Street for many year's has given LUV the benefit of the doubt. I am not certain if LUV will be able to keep its sterling A+ credit rating based on what they are facing. It will be interesting to see how the Air Trans merger goes through- hopefully a smoother transition than RR 2.0.

I find your last comment sickening. I was in NYC on 9/11 and your attempt to pin me as making this out to be akin to that day is really intellectually dishonest and deserving of an apology.

I suggest you listen carefully to what people on this board have to say. They are the ones paying your salary. Really, how often do you visit the very website we are speaking about? Do you have a RR #. Do you book your flights online?

The fact that you are, maybe, a mid level employee of LUV does not give you better insight than a customer who has been flying the airline for the past 20 years on what the future holds for this company.

num1bearsfan- Please answer my above questions.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Hello!!?? I'm over here in reality. Where are you? The website being down is not a big deal? THERE ARE NO OTHER WAYS TO BOOK TICKETS!!! The ONLY source of TAKING MY MONEY doesn't work! Guess what, the same thing happened (site being down) last month and I booked on United. How much revenue was lost today because of COMPLETELY AVOIDABLE IT STUPIDITY!?

I'm an IT professional...and there is absolutely NO instance where today's events even are remotely acceptable.

Dallas is not Silicon Valley. Try importing some real talent.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:50 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by auggie doggie
I'm an IT professional...and there is absolutely NO instance where today's events even are remotely acceptable.
Totally agree with you here. What makes today worse in my eyes are the previous meltdowns within the past couple, three years. As if every time they change something, southwest.com goes kaput.

.bomb is already taken, what nickname shall we give southwest.com?

Originally Posted by auggie doggie
Dallas is not Silicon Valley. Try importing some real talent.
Come one now, I'm an IT professional from Silicon Valley as well...however, just because someone grew up rooting for Aikman and Danny White (or Gary Hogeboom) instead of Montana and Young does not mean they lack talent.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 3:40 am
Suspended

Well, on the upside, I got to spend 45 minutes on hold with them today..and noticed that they have dropped the kitschy messages and "Southwest Rap"...could they perhaps be shedding the chummy crap?? We can only hope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.