Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 28, 09, 8:59 am   #1
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: JFK/LGA/ISP
Programs: HH Gold, IC Platinum, SPG Gold
Posts: 68
MDW - 45 minute for changing planes okay?

I am booked on the first flight of the day out of ISP to LAS, with a plane change in MDW with 45 minutes from scheduled arrival time to schedule departure time (arrive MDW 9:40; depart MDW 10:25).

When I first booked this flight, I noticed that the layover was short, but assumed if WN offered the flights as an available leg, it would be okay. The more I think about it, 45 minutes seems pretty tight, considering time to taxi to the gate, deplane, find the new gate, etc. I am planning to stay close to the front of the plane from ISP to MDW. Would anyone check luggage instead of carrying on (to save time) in such a situation?

I can usually avoid plane changes, but the first non-stop is early afternoon versus 8:20 a.m. I'd rather have the extra time in Las Vegas.

Any thoughts on this? Should I be concerned? There are a lot of flights from MDW to LAS throughout the day...would WN put us on the next flight (11:30 a.m.) if we miss the connection? TIA.
isles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 09, 9:18 am   #2
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 2,656
You might find last month's discussion of this topic helpful.

Also note that the scheduled departure and arrival times are gate-to-gate; you don't have to add an allowance for taxiing.
ftnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 09, 9:30 am   #3
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: JFK/LGA/ISP
Programs: HH Gold, IC Platinum, SPG Gold
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftnoob View Post
You might find last month's discussion of this topic helpful.

Also note that the scheduled departure and arrival times are gate-to-gate; you don't have to add an allowance for taxiing.
Thanks! That discussion is just what I was looking for.

Seems like the WN gates at MDW are very close to each other (even if you arrive at an A gate and depart from a B gate). I guess I have nothing to worry about. And I think the 8:20 a.m. from ISP-MDW is the first flight of the day for that plane.

For reference, the flights are on a Saturday:
2898 Depart MACARTHUR NY (ISP) at 8:20 AM
Arrive in CHICAGO-MIDWAY (MDW) at 9:40 AM

2538 Change planes in CHICAGO-MIDWAY (MDW) departing at 10:25 AM
Arrive in LAS VEGAS NV (LAS) at 12:20 PM
isles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 09, 1:50 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 28
Should be no concern. Most of their connections are about 45 minutes. You will have enough time to go to the bathroom, maybe grab a drink and off you go.
Spac3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 09, 3:02 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bay Area
Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, AA EXP, UA/CO Nothing, WN A-list, IC Gold/Ambassador
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spac3d View Post
Should be no concern. Most of their connections are about 45 minutes. You will have enough time to go to the bathroom, maybe grab a drink and off you go.
Agreed (though I would hit Pegasus or Gold Coast as I passed through the food court!)
bbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 09, 8:44 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicagoland, IL, USA
Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 9,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbison View Post
Agreed (though I would hit Pegasus or Gold Coast as I passed through the food court!)
Nah, Potbelly.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 09, 9:12 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gotham City
Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
Nah, Potbelly.
wrong again, its morning time, go for breakfast at miller's pub around b9(ish?)
__________________
my buddy bob sacamano called
sammy0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 09, 1:56 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bay Area
Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, AA EXP, UA/CO Nothing, WN A-list, IC Gold/Ambassador
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy0623 View Post
wrong again, its morning time, go for breakfast at miller's pub around b9(ish?)
Unless you're passing through at an odd time, no way way you get through Potbelly in a hurry. Same with the getting the massive (and delicious) 5 egg omlette at the Illinois Bar & Grill--not on a 45 minute change.
bbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 09, 2:30 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: WN CP
Posts: 6,360
This thread is making me very hungry.
curbcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 09, 3:01 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicagoland, IL, USA
Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 9,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbison View Post
Unless you're passing through at an odd time, no way way you get through Potbelly in a hurry.
Last time I was in MDW Potbelly, I asked the guy how many sandwiches they average per day. He said about 1500.

That is a hell of a business.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 09, 5:12 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: WN CP
Posts: 6,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
That is a hell of a business.
It is well deserved. The Wreck is a hell of a sandwich.
curbcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 09, 8:06 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gotham City
Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbison View Post
Unless you're passing through at an odd time, no way way you get through Potbelly in a hurry. Same with the getting the massive (and delicious) 5 egg omlette at the Illinois Bar & Grill--not on a 45 minute change.
i'll have to try the Illinois bar for breakfast. had a couple of meals there (chicken sandwich, chicken fingers, burgers and fries) and a few beers, but not breakfast.

as for a wait, i've never had a long one at miller's pub
__________________
my buddy bob sacamano called
sammy0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 09, 3:58 pm   #13
2014 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles1 View Post
Thanks! That discussion is just what I was looking for.

Seems like the WN gates at MDW are very close to each other (even if you arrive at an A gate and depart from a B gate). I guess I have nothing to worry about. And I think the 8:20 a.m. from ISP-MDW is the first flight of the day for that plane.

For reference, the flights are on a Saturday:
2898 Depart MACARTHUR NY (ISP) at 8:20 AM
Arrive in CHICAGO-MIDWAY (MDW) at 9:40 AM

2538 Change planes in CHICAGO-MIDWAY (MDW) departing at 10:25 AM
Arrive in LAS VEGAS NV (LAS) at 12:20 PM

FYI, I fly the first flight out of ISP to MDW very frequently but usually changing to a MCI flight. Very often (on a Monday no less), we are 20 minutes early. Several times I've grabbed a earlier MCI flight instead that was never an option rather than wait an hour+. It used to be easier when they didn't use the A wing but you'll have no problems...
joshua362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 09, 9:38 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Programs: wn-cp,
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy0623 View Post
wrong again, its morning time, go for breakfast at miller's pub around b9(ish?)
It may be morning for us in Chicago, but you must have been up for some hours to have left your home to fly to MDW from ISP. By all means go for the Wreck at Potbellys (also the only place where you can get Starbucks). Then to top off your gastronomic quickie in Chicago, go to Nuts on Clark, just past Potbellys towards the B gates, and get the Chicago mix of cheese popcorn and carmelcorn. Eat it on the 4 hour flight to LAS. You'll think you've reached heaven instead of just 39,000 ft.
SW High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 09, 10:34 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bay Area
Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, AA EXP, UA/CO Nothing, WN A-list, IC Gold/Ambassador
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW High View Post
It may be morning for us in Chicago, but you must have been up for some hours to have left your home to fly to MDW from ISP. By all means go for the Wreck at Potbellys (also the only place where you can get Starbucks). Then to top off your gastronomic quickie in Chicago, go to Nuts on Clark, just past Potbellys towards the B gates, and get the Chicago mix of cheese popcorn and carmelcorn. Eat it on the 4 hour flight to LAS. You'll think you've reached heaven instead of just 39,000 ft.
If you do the cheese/carmel mix (or straight cheese), get LOTS of napkins.
bbison is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:55 am.