Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old Apr 28, 09, 8:59 am   #1

Programs: HH Gold, IC Platinum, SPG Gold
MDW - 45 minute for changing planes okay?

I am booked on the first flight of the day out of ISP to LAS, with a plane change in MDW with 45 minutes from scheduled arrival time to schedule departure time (arrive MDW 9:40; depart MDW 10:25).

When I first booked this flight, I noticed that the layover was short, but assumed if WN offered the flights as an available leg, it would be okay. The more I think about it, 45 minutes seems pretty tight, considering time to taxi to the gate, deplane, find the new gate, etc. I am planning to stay close to the front of the plane from ISP to MDW. Would anyone check luggage instead of carrying on (to save time) in such a situation?

I can usually avoid plane changes, but the first non-stop is early afternoon versus 8:20 a.m. I'd rather have the extra time in Las Vegas.

Any thoughts on this? Should I be concerned? There are a lot of flights from MDW to LAS throughout the day...would WN put us on the next flight (11:30 a.m.) if we miss the connection? TIA.
isles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 09, 9:18 am   #2
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

You might find last month's discussion of this topic helpful.

Also note that the scheduled departure and arrival times are gate-to-gate; you don't have to add an allowance for taxiing.
ftnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 09, 9:30 am   #3

Programs: HH Gold, IC Platinum, SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftnoob View Post
You might find last month's discussion of this topic helpful.

Also note that the scheduled departure and arrival times are gate-to-gate; you don't have to add an allowance for taxiing.
Thanks! That discussion is just what I was looking for.

Seems like the WN gates at MDW are very close to each other (even if you arrive at an A gate and depart from a B gate). I guess I have nothing to worry about. And I think the 8:20 a.m. from ISP-MDW is the first flight of the day for that plane.

For reference, the flights are on a Saturday:
2898 Depart MACARTHUR NY (ISP) at 8:20 AM
Arrive in CHICAGO-MIDWAY (MDW) at 9:40 AM

2538 Change planes in CHICAGO-MIDWAY (MDW) departing at 10:25 AM
Arrive in LAS VEGAS NV (LAS) at 12:20 PM
isles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 09, 1:50 pm   #4

Should be no concern. Most of their connections are about 45 minutes. You will have enough time to go to the bathroom, maybe grab a drink and off you go.
Spac3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 09, 3:02 pm   #5

Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, AA EXP, UA/CO Nothing, WN A-list, IC Gold/Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spac3d View Post
Should be no concern. Most of their connections are about 45 minutes. You will have enough time to go to the bathroom, maybe grab a drink and off you go.
Agreed (though I would hit Pegasus or Gold Coast as I passed through the food court!)
bbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 09, 8:44 pm   #6

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbison View Post
Agreed (though I would hit Pegasus or Gold Coast as I passed through the food court!)
Nah, Potbelly.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 09, 9:12 pm   #7

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
Nah, Potbelly.
wrong again, its morning time, go for breakfast at miller's pub around b9(ish?)
Old Apr 30, 09, 1:56 pm   #8

Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, AA EXP, UA/CO Nothing, WN A-list, IC Gold/Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy0623 View Post
Unless you're passing through at an odd time, no way way you get through Potbelly in a hurry. Same with the getting the massive (and delicious) 5 egg omlette at the Illinois Bar & Grill--not on a 45 minute change.
Old Apr 30, 09, 2:30 pm   #9

Programs: WN CP
This thread is making me very hungry.
curbcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 09, 3:01 pm   #10

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Quote:
Unless you're passing through at an odd time, no way way you get through Potbelly in a hurry.
Last time I was in MDW Potbelly, I asked the guy how many sandwiches they average per day. He said about 1500.

That is a hell of a business.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 09, 5:12 pm   #11

Programs: WN CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
That is a hell of a business.
It is well deserved. The Wreck is a hell of a sandwich.
curbcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 09, 8:06 pm   #12

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Quote:
Unless you're passing through at an odd time, no way way you get through Potbelly in a hurry. Same with the getting the massive (and delicious) 5 egg omlette at the Illinois Bar & Grill--not on a 45 minute change.
i'll have to try the Illinois bar for breakfast. had a couple of meals there (chicken sandwich, chicken fingers, burgers and fries) and a few beers, but not breakfast.

as for a wait, i've never had a long one at miller's pub
Old May 1, 09, 3:58 pm   #13
2014 Secret Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles1 View Post
Thanks! That discussion is just what I was looking for.

Seems like the WN gates at MDW are very close to each other (even if you arrive at an A gate and depart from a B gate). I guess I have nothing to worry about. And I think the 8:20 a.m. from ISP-MDW is the first flight of the day for that plane.

For reference, the flights are on a Saturday:
2898 Depart MACARTHUR NY (ISP) at 8:20 AM
Arrive in CHICAGO-MIDWAY (MDW) at 9:40 AM

2538 Change planes in CHICAGO-MIDWAY (MDW) departing at 10:25 AM
Arrive in LAS VEGAS NV (LAS) at 12:20 PM

FYI, I fly the first flight out of ISP to MDW very frequently but usually changing to a MCI flight. Very often (on a Monday no less), we are 20 minutes early. Several times I've grabbed a earlier MCI flight instead that was never an option rather than wait an hour+. It used to be easier when they didn't use the A wing but you'll have no problems...
joshua362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 09, 9:38 pm   #14

Programs: wn-cp,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy0623 View Post
It may be morning for us in Chicago, but you must have been up for some hours to have left your home to fly to MDW from ISP. By all means go for the Wreck at Potbellys (also the only place where you can get Starbucks). Then to top off your gastronomic quickie in Chicago, go to Nuts on Clark, just past Potbellys towards the B gates, and get the Chicago mix of cheese popcorn and carmelcorn. Eat it on the 4 hour flight to LAS. You'll think you've reached heaven instead of just 39,000 ft.
SW High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 09, 10:34 pm   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW High View Post
It may be morning for us in Chicago, but you must have been up for some hours to have left your home to fly to MDW from ISP. By all means go for the Wreck at Potbellys (also the only place where you can get Starbucks). Then to top off your gastronomic quickie in Chicago, go to Nuts on Clark, just past Potbellys towards the B gates, and get the Chicago mix of cheese popcorn and carmelcorn. Eat it on the 4 hour flight to LAS. You'll think you've reached heaven instead of just 39,000 ft.
If you do the cheese/carmel mix (or straight cheese), get LOTS of napkins.