Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Hidden City Bargains Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bloxomo
While looking for some low fares to facilitate travel fund consolidation, I noticed some hidden city opportunities using the $40-$50 fares between PHX and DEN. I found these mid-week in mid-Nov; didn't check other dates.

DEN-(LAX or ABQ)-PHX: $48 (normally $114 to LAX and $101 to ABQ)
PHX-LAX-DEN: $48 (normally $73)
Interesting .. so if I were getting off at LAX (and it were a direct flight) would I need to tell the FA that I am no longer going thru to PHX? Isnt this going to mess up there thru count if I dont?

Last edited by runfromthefire; Oct 5, 2014 at 10:38 pm
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by runfromthefire
Interesting .. so if I were getting off at LAX (and it were a direct flight) would I need to tell the FA that I am no longer going thru to PHX? Isnt this going to mess up there thru count if I dont?
Yes and yes
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:13 pm

Anyone willing to help me out? Ive been trying to find a hidden city between LAS and either TPA OR MCO on 11/07/2014. Thanks in advance
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Hidden hidden city

WN is starting to hide the hidden cities.
Flight 543 goes xxx-SAT-BNA-BWI-CMH on 11/13, is bookable for the BNA-BWI and BWI-CMH segments but not as a through flight BNA-BWI-CMH even though SAT-BNA-BWI is available as a through. And you can't force the BNA-BWI-CMH with a 'round-trip', it then prices the individual segments. This is often a good hidden city opportunity for BNA-BWI.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:07 pm

If you use hidden city ticketing are your bags susceptible to incorrect routing, forcing you to only use your carry-ons?

Are you susceptible to being bumped and rebooked to the wrong city, also?

Either of the above scenarios means, it should be reiterated, it is crucial to be on time (early) and get checked in for a favorable boarding assignment. However, it is good to know that Southwest is not punitive towards hidden city travelers, the way many airlines can claim to be.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by launcher
If you use hidden city ticketing are your bags susceptible to incorrect routing, forcing you to only use your carry-ons?

Either of the above scenarios means, it should be reiterated, it is crucial to be on time (early) and get checked in for a favorable boarding assignment. However, it is good to know that Southwest is not punitive towards hidden city travelers, the way many airlines can claim to be.
Never carry-on when doing Hidden City.

Yes, if you are booked MDW-MCO-CLE and there's some blowup, they might try to make you go MDW-CLE. Especially a problem during IRROPS. Or if you try to invoke Flat Tire, I presume.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:30 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by launcher

1. Yes. If you check bags they will go to their final destination.

2. IIRC there has been one report here a couple years back. There was a flight irregularity of some sort. The passenger told the gate agent he really only wanted to go to the midpoint city. The gate agent routed him there. YMMV. I will not be surprised to read a future report where routing to the hidden city was denied.

Last edited by nsx; Oct 9, 2014 at 4:24 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: EMT-P
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Never carry-on when doing Hidden City
I'm pretty sure you meant never check bags.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by medichill
I'm pretty sure you meant never check bags.
Accckkk!

Yes, never check bags; always carry-on.

Need more sleep.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Need a general advice...If you had the choice, would you choose the last flight, the one you intend to skip, to a major airport or a small sleepy one: for example, DFW-LAX or DFW-PSP?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Maybe I'm missing something obvious but how does one go about searching for hidden city routes? For instance I'm looking at BWI<>IND next month and prices seem pretty high already. How do I find other routes that pass through each of the cities?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aktchi
Need a general advice...If you had the choice, would you choose the last flight, the one you intend to skip, to a major airport or a small sleepy one: for example, DFW-LAX or DFW-PSP?
I don't think it matters *much*, but with a small sleepy airport, there probably aren't as many other (non-desirable to you) reroutes in the event of irrops.

(Your specific example smells like an AA opportunity. Don't take this as specific advice for them...just a generality.)
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by pinniped
I don't think it matters *much*, but with a small sleepy airport, there probably aren't as many other (non-desirable to you) reroutes in the event of irrops.
Let me explain the nature of my question again.

You want to fly HKG-DFW, but that fare is much higher than HKG-LAX as well as HKG-PSP. So you decide to book either HKG-DFW-LAX or HKG-DFW-PSP and just get off at DFW.

Now, if there is major irrop involving DFW and they reroute you HKG-ORD-LAX or HKG-ORD-PSP, then of course the whole plan has flopped badly. So, let's assume that that does not happen and you do fly to DFW. At this point, how would it matter what happens to your LAX or PSP flight? You wanted to walk out on it anyway.

The spirit of my question was, if everything goes smoothly, would you have inconvenienced the airline more by being a no-show on DFW-LAX flight, or on DFW-PSP? Will the airline mind it more in one case than the other?

Last edited by aktchi; Oct 10, 2014 at 10:24 pm
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by aktchi
Let me explain the nature of my question again.

You want to fly HKG-DFW, but that fare is much higher than HKG-LAX as well as HKG-PSP. So you decide to book either HKG-DFW-LAX or HKG-DFW-PSP and just get off at DFW.

Now, if there is major irrop involving DFW and they reroute you HKG-ORD-LAX or HKG-ORD-PSP, then of course the whole plan has flopped badly. So, let's assume that that does not happen and you do fly to DFW. At this point, how would it matter what happens to your LAX or PSP flight? You wanted to walk out on it anyway.

The spirit of my question was, if everything goes smoothly, would you have inconvenienced the airline more by being a no-show on DFW-LAX flight, or on DFW-PSP? Will the airline mind it more in one case than the other?
Since Southwest doesn't fly those routes (and this is a Southwest thread) the hypothetical question is difficult to answer. Southwest doesn't seem to mind its customers booking hidden city tickets the way most other airlines do.

You are correct that re-routes could be a big issue for anyone buying a ticket for travel to a city they never intend to visit.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
This thread hasn't had any luv in years. Any bargains these days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.