Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Is this a safe connection on WN?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Is this a safe connection on WN?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Question Consolidated "Is this a safe connection on WN?" thread

I'm looking at flying DAL to MCO, using the MSY special available today. Booking separate tickets DAL-MSY roundtrip & MSY-MCO roundtrip, with the special, is cheaper than any single ticket DAL-xxx-MCO roundtrip.

Looking at the return flights, I see a flight that lands at MSY at 8:45pm, and the last flight MSY-DAL leaves at 9:05pm. Normally, 20 minutes is illegal as a single-ticket connection, and way too tight to risk. But looking more closely, both are flight #103, that seems to fly MCO-MSY-DAL. (I didn't realize even WN could turn a plane in 20 minutes).

So given that it's the same flight number, and that WN will sell me a single ticket on that flight MCO-DAL, is there any risk in booking this 20 minute "connection" on 2 separate PNR's? If I do, should I expect to get one RR credit, or two?
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by swag
So given that it's the same flight number, and that WN will sell me a single ticket on that flight MCO-DAL, is there any risk in booking this 20 minute "connection" on 2 separate PNR's? If I do, should I expect to get one RR credit, or two?
You'll get 2 credits. Just hand your BP to the FAs when everyone else gets off. Otherwise their through pax count will be in error.

You are at risk if the flight to MSY is canceled. Other than that you should be fine.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
You'll get 2 credits. Just hand your BP to the FAs when everyone else gets off. Otherwise their through pax count will be in error.

You are at risk if the flight to MSY is canceled. Other than that you should be fine.
Cool, thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 5:24 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
goes without saying?

...but don't check a bag!
Old Nov 20, 2008, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by nsx

Do WN FA's normally act as gophers in this situation? On my customary legacy airlines, their likely response would be, "What the )(** am I supposed to do with this?"
Old Nov 21, 2008, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jan_believes
...but don't check a bag!
I never check bags (except for ski trips). But I do remember a trip years and years ago, when WN did thru-check a bag for me on request, when I had separate tickets. And that was a texas-two-step trip, too, when they were specifically prohibited from doing so.

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Do WN FA's normally act as gophers in this situation? On my customary legacy airlines, their likely response would be, "What the )(** am I supposed to do with this?"
I figure I'll ask the GA at MCO what I should do, and then ask the FA's as well.

Does anyone know if I can check in for MSY-DAL at the MCO airport, just in case I don't have net access for OLCI?
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:35 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by swag
Does anyone know if I can check in for MSY-DAL at the MCO airport, just in case I don't have net access for OLCI?
Nope. You can only print the BP for MSY-DAL at MSY.

And checking bags via the "Texas Two Step" is no problem. Just give them both PNRs.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:57 am

I was ready to say check-in online, with a Web-capable cell phone or ask a friend, but if this is done can the BP out of MSY not be printed at MCO, either at the kiosk or by an agent?
Old Nov 21, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by rove312
I was ready to say check-in online, with a Web-capable cell phone or ask a friend, but if this is done can the BP out of MSY not be printed at MCO, either at the kiosk or by an agent?
MCO's computers can only print out a BP that originates at MCO. They can print a BP that is for a connecting flight (i.e. keeping MCO-MSY-DAL on one PNR), but if there are two PNRs, they are treated as two reservations. Agents can see your reservation for MSY-DAL but they won't be able to print a BP. Just walk up to the gate in MSY and tell them you need a BP reprinted.

With CS2, this might be different. Does anyone know for sure?
Old Dec 14, 2008, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
checked bag transfer time -- safe connection?

First: apologies. I'm a corporate flyer and the company flies UA, so I don't know all the tricks for WN.. up until now have never had to do a trip on WN that involved a plane change AND a checked bag, so I'm wondering:

If I do LBB-ELP-LAS, the connection time at ELP is 40 minutes. Is there any reason to think that checking a bag on this itinerary entails any more risk than a 75-90 minute connection on UA at O-hare? ;-)

Seriously -- I can't imagine that the ramp at ELP is really all that busy, but I did want to sanity check with folks who would know a lot more than me.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: WN CP
Your bag will transfer without incident.

Learning all of the tricks is as simple as familiarizing yourself with the Wiki FAQ.

Welcome to our corner of FlyerTalk!
Old Dec 14, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
Thanks. I actually checked the wiki (which is really well done, BTW) but didn't find anything close enough to totally convince me. I'm still getting used to flying around on an airline where things "work" 80% of the time instead of the 20% or so that I'm used to. ;-)
Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
25 minute connection!

Hi all,

I just booked a ticket for my mom to Vegas and was very surprised to see that she has a 25 minute connection in AUS:

1504 Depart HARLINGEN TX (HRL) at 1:10 PM
Arrive in AUSTIN TX (AUS) at 2:10 PM
2806 Change planes in AUSTIN TX (AUS) departing at 2:35 PM
Arrive in LAS VEGAS NV (LAS) at 3:25 PM

Is this the shortest WN connection that anyone here has seen? I certainly can't remember anything under 45 minutes or so.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
Is this the shortest WN connection that anyone here has seen? I certainly can't remember anything under 45 minutes or so.
connection time minimum varies by airport. I was surprised when the website route gave a 25 minute connection in Baltimore last year. Inbound arrived exactly on time, I was in the 3rd row. I ran as fast as I could from the far end of one terminal to my connection's gate at the far end of the other terminal. When I was one gate away I heard the agent paging me (the closest I've ever been to having my ticket deleted as a no show!).
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:34 am

Programs: SWA CP
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
I just booked a ticket for my mom to Vegas and was very surprised to see that she has a 25 minute connection in AUS.
I had an unpleasant experience when I booked my in-laws with a 25-minute connection in SJC. The outbound plane was running a little late (20 minutes) or so, but I called CS twice and they assured me they would hold the plane in SJC.

It turned out to be 30 minutes, and they didn't hold the plane, so they wound up with a 2.5 hour connection in SJC instead.

Not the end of the world, but I heard about it for days (somehow it was my fault :-). In any case, a good reason to avoid those types of connections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.