Trying to get CP by flying a lot

Old May 4, 2012, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Trying to get CP by flying a lot

I got the Chase Southwest Visa and got 50k RR points from that. That means I need another 50,000 points.

I assume the fastest way to get to 110,000 to get the CP is to fly a lot.

Can anyone recommend routes that will get me the most points with minimal money spent/least time in the air?

I did some math out and it seems to me, flying business gets you more points for sure no matter what correct?
Old May 4, 2012, 6:00 pm

Yes, but CP is now very difficult to get through flying unless you're in the air on BS fares quite frequently. CC spend is probably your best other method, but you really have to analyze a bunch of costs (use of WN cc vs. other cards, incremental cost of BS, etc.) vs. the CP benefit. In other words, just make sure you'll use it a lot before you start changing your spending and travel patterns just to earn it.

I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to struggle to get CP after they've earned their 50K bonus points for cc signup; it seems like you're almost halfway there, but the remaining 60K points isn't easy to achieve. Double-dipping with a biz and personal cc is one method, but unless you like doing regular cc churns, there's a lot of effort involved.

For example, I fly approx. $400 BS r/ts about every other week, with all WN spending on a WN cc, and I'm only about halfway to a CP. I'll get CP, but it will take a lot of flying and spending to get it, absent a cc churn this year. RR 2.0 has generally benefitted me vs. the old program, but I don't like the increased difficulty of earning CP.

Last edited by smmrfld; May 4, 2012 at 6:12 pm
Old May 4, 2012, 6:36 pm

The fastest way is to apply for more than one card.
Old May 4, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
You would have to spend close to $5k to get the additional 60k points to get the CP. Do you fly a lot of work? If not, I cannot see someone spending $5,000 just to get a CP on WN. There are minimal promotions on WN and most do not count towards CP. For me it was much easier to earn the CP on credits under RR1.0, since I could fly (each flight 1 credit), use promotions, and have credit card spend. Under 2.0 you only have CC spend and flying BS or Anytime fares.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Don't forget that the RR Mall points are CPQP's. I use them all of the time for things I was going to buy anyway. Most of the high volume retailers like Wal-Mart, Sears, Home Depot and such are just 2 points per $ but I own rental property and all materials for repairs and appliances go through the mall. My wife likes HSN and QVC, both mall companies. I buy electronics and music supplies from Musician's Friend. I even bought about 10,000 rounds of ammunition for my various firearms from Sportman's Guide.

These were all purchases that I would have made without the mall.

The neat thing about places like Wal-Mart and Lowe's is that you can purchase online and pick up at your local store. I was doing some minor remodeling at one of my apartments, checked out the wares at both Lowe's and Home Depot, and decided Lowe's had what I needed. I logged into the mall, bought the stuff online with my RR CC, got the points, and they consolidated my order onto a big cart and helped me load it when I got to the store. All this was done in one day.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Should I close my current Southwest card ($99 annual fee Premier card) and apply for the $69 annual fee card?
Old May 4, 2012, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by standingoten
Should I close my current Southwest card ($99 annual fee Premier card) and apply for the $69 annual fee card?
I would probably not do that preemptively. When did you get the premier card? Chase reserves the right to "claw back" the bonus if you close within 6 months. You could always submit a separate application for the plus card. There have been some reports that you could get the bonus for each, since technically it is a separate product.
Old May 8, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by standingoten
You will most likely not get the bonus from two personal cards. You could apply for the business card and get another 50k bonus, however.
Old May 8, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Yes, but CP is now very difficult to get through flying unless you're in the air on BS fares quite frequently.
I've had CP the last 2 years running and currently 2/3rd's the way to '13 CP with straight points from WN- without cards or other transfers.

Well, OK a few points from Hertz in the first year but compared to BS they really don't count for much if they do apply. I gave up transferring the Hertz points early last year and save them there for free rentals.

I just fly a lot of BS. (Thank you employer)
Old May 9, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.
I just extended my CP through 2013. Mostly through the air (on BS as the case with the last poster) supplemented with spend on WN CC.

I typically focus my spend on WN CC until I reach CP status and move on to the next card to attain other benefits.

If I only purchased WGA fares, I am not sure if I would ever make it back to CP.
Old May 9, 2012, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by longhorn11
You would have to spend close to $5k to get the additional 60k points to get the CP. Do you fly a lot of work? If not, I cannot see someone spending $5,000 just to get a CP on WN. There are minimal promotions on WN and most do not count towards CP. For me it was much easier to earn the CP on credits under RR1.0, since I could fly (each flight 1 credit), use promotions, and have credit card spend. Under 2.0 you only have CC spend and flying BS or Anytime fares.
I wonder if my math is correct. BUT my goal every year is to GIVE SWA 6,000 dollars

I figure its a Pay to Play plan

I want to be CP and AList pref every yr

by spending 6000 on BS flights every yr

heres my math, Im hoping people agree or show me my faults.

6000 BS flights earns me 72000 pts

Alist pref earns me an additional 72000 pts (100 pct bonus)

purchased on RR visa 2pts for every dollar 6000 X 2 12000 pts

althought this doesnt get me to CP it gets me to 156000 pts (i figure Ill get to CP with partners etc)

so for my 6000 Im getting 156000 pts

I value the points at 89$=WGA Fare = 4680 pts = 2933.00 future swa wga value

so for my 6k BS investment, lets call it 12 RT BS flights, its really costing me 3067.00 to get to A list Pref every yr, and 12 RT tickets. and thats easily taken care of with CP travel. If I ever get bumped or volunteer, my margins really start to look good.

Is my math bad? basically I see this as the game. SWA wants us to fly BS. I fly BS to get the CP and Alist Pref.

I think its a heck of a deal

I really enjoy SWA, I travel a to, and do enjoy the CP and Alist pref perks, as well as the no change air cost, free bags, and ease of use to use pts of friends and family.
Old May 9, 2012, 4:39 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by antinseattle
Is my math bad?
Your math is fine, except as you say you only earn 84k CPQPs, 26k short of the 110k CP threshold. Hotel and rental car and shopping points might put you over the top, as would other spending on the RR credit card.

My method is to spend as little as possible on WGA fares, maybe $6k per year for 45 short-haul round trips. That makes only 36k+12k = 48k CPQPs, with 36*2+12 = 84k redeemable points worth about $1700 to me.

I need to add a credit card signup bonus or some other chunk of CPQPs to get me to 110k. That's going to be a new challenge each year, but we FTers are a resourceful bunch!
Old May 10, 2012, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by antinseattle
I think its a heck of a deal

I really enjoy SWA, I travel a to, and do enjoy the CP and Alist pref perks, as well as the no change air cost, free bags, and ease of use to use pts of friends and family.
I think SWA should hire you as the official RR2.0 spokesman.

Originally Posted by nsx
Your math is fine, except as you say you only earn 84k CPQPs, 26k short of the 110k CP threshold. Hotel and rental car and shopping points might put you over the top, as would other spending on the RR credit card.

My method is to spend as little as possible on WGA fares, maybe $6k per year for 45 short-haul round trips. That makes only 36k+12k = 48k CPQPs, with 36*2+12 = 84k redeemable points worth about $1700 to me.

I need to add a credit card signup bonus or some other chunk of CPQPs to get me to 110k. That's going to be a new challenge each year, but we FTers are a resourceful bunch!
This is my exact situation for 2012, I'm planning to add the biz card later this year to put me over 110k.
Old May 10, 2012, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
My method is to spend as little as possible on WGA fares, maybe $6k per year for 45 short-haul round trips....

I need to add a credit card signup bonus or some other chunk of CPQPs to get me to 110k.
Or you could take 5 more cheap RTs, right?
Old May 10, 2012, 9:09 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Or you could take 5 more cheap RTs, right?
Yes. I had booked a segment run for that purpose. It would have cost me only about $400. Then I decided that the credit card bonus was an easier and cheaper route for this year, so I cancelled the cheap segment run flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.