Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Price goes down 3 weeks after booking flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2008, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K

Does WN give a refund for the difference? I just noticed this evening that the flight I purchased is now $50 cheaper than when I purchased it. The dates and flight times are exactly the same.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 8:31 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Go to "Change Intinerary" on the Southwest.com, select your same flight(s) and it will issue you a credit of the fare difference if it's less that is good from one year of the date of original purchase.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 8:32 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by rtwgal
Does WN give a refund for the difference? I just noticed this evening that the flight I purchased is now $50 cheaper than when I purchased it. The dates and flight times are exactly the same.
You can rebook with no change fee. However, if the original fare is non-refundable, the extra money can only be maintained as a credit for purchasing future Southwest flights (though you can use it on other people's flight purchases as well as your own -- remember the locator code and which credit card you used).
Old Aug 10, 2008, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Thanks so much!!!
Old Aug 11, 2008, 8:57 pm

One of the HUGE advantages of flying WN, as discussed extensively on this board. Congrats to you for noticing the fare decline and asking the question. As you probably know, you could do the same thing on most other airlines...however, it would cost you $50 - $100 in change fees.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 7:25 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Bruce G
One of the HUGE advantages of flying WN, as discussed extensively on this board. Congrats to you for noticing the fare decline and asking the question. As you probably know, you could do the same thing on most other airlines...however, it would cost you $50 - $100 in change fees.
Do other airlines charge you the change fee if you keep the exact same flight and just ask for the current lower fare? I thought you would get a travel credit for the full difference in that case. Is my information out of date?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 7:44 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by nsx
Do other airlines charge you the change fee if you keep the exact same flight and just ask for the current lower fare? I thought you would get a travel credit for the full difference in that case. Is my information out of date?
I have not done a fair decrease with other airlines (United) in a few years, but they used to give you a credit foir the difference (no fees)..
Old Aug 12, 2008, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
CO $150 change fee

Originally Posted by nsx
I recently repriced an itinerary because the two Continental tickets EWR-HNL I bought at $920/each dropped to $500 apiece. I had to pay $300 in new money for the change, and received two electronic certificates worth total $840 to put toward future flight purchases.

Net gain of $540 for me, but not as convenient as one might hope (no actual refund). I am not concerned about being able to use the certificates, but I would prefer simply to have the money back.

pc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.