Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 26, 08, 6:16 am   #1

Getting Rapid Rewards Credits for Minors

We have four children and will be flying in a few weeks. Each of them has their Rapid Rewards account so they'll get flight credit. I know my wife and I can earn extra credits through credit card spending, hotel points, car rentals, etc. Any ideas on how to earn extra credits for the kids?
harbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 08, 8:36 am   #2

They can get credit card signup bonus
jackinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 08, 5:47 pm   #3

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Quote:
Originally Posted by harbison View Post
We have four children and will be flying in a few weeks. Each of them has their Rapid Rewards account so they'll get flight credit. I know my wife and I can earn extra credits through credit card spending, hotel points, car rentals, etc. Any ideas on how to earn extra credits for the kids?
American Express points can be transferred to anyone from your account.
al613 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 08, 11:33 pm   #4

Programs: HHSilver;SWACompanion;AA;CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinkc View Post
They can get credit card signup bonus
I hope this isn't a "serious" response! Creating credit in a minor's name for a few stupid RR credits is a horrid idea. Why pay an annual fee for a card that you'll never (or, shouldn't ever) use? Even worse, why encumber your child's future credit rating by opening an account?

I believe that at least once, or twice, we used our son's RR # on a car reservation. It didn't seem to matter that the renter's name was different and it created no liability issues.
swaluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 08, 12:47 am   #5

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaluvr View Post
I hope this isn't a "serious" response! Creating credit in a minor's name for a few stupid RR credits is a horrid idea. Why pay an annual fee for a card that you'll never (or, shouldn't ever) use? Even worse, why encumber your child's future credit rating by opening an account?

I believe that at least once, or twice, we used our son's RR # on a car reservation. It didn't seem to matter that the renter's name was different and it created no liability issues.
if the parents are responsible, and can pay off the bills, etc, then there's no reason this would be a problem for the child's future credit...in fact it could help
Old Jul 28, 08, 12:14 pm   #6

agreed. as long as credit is used properly there is no harm in opening accounts in children's names early. I'm glad my parents did. based on the weird way FICO works, my 10 y/o co-signed credit card account account allowed me to get my own card when I was in college without a cosigner and further helped to get better rates on loans for grad school.

if you plan on spending enough on your cards to get multiple RR credits, may as well spread it out and use the kids filghts to reach the level a few trips faster but keep in mind the FICO trick only works if the accounts remain open (which means annual fees for some cards)
medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 08, 7:15 am   #7

I had no idea

I had no idea you could even apply for a credit card for a minor. I guess it would have parent as co-signer?
Old Jul 29, 08, 7:17 am   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Quote:
I guess it would have parent as co-signer?
Yes.
Old Jul 29, 08, 8:16 am   #9

Programs: united 1p, usair silver, nz gold, hilton gold, starwood gold
My grandaughter who is 4 needs one rapid reward credit for a free flight.

Any specific suggestions for someone that young?
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 08, 8:43 am   #10

Any hotel stays or rental cars in the future?
Old Jul 29, 08, 9:24 am   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP75, IHG/PC Plat Ambassador, Choice Plat, National Executive Elite
Quote:
Any hotel stays or rental cars in the future?
Barring that, any points in programs (that would otherwise remain unused) that could be transferred (e.g. AmEx MR, Hilton, Choice)?
icurhere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 08, 9:32 am   #12

Can you transfer those points to a child or does it have to match the name of the cardholder? I've never tried it so I have no idea.
Old Jul 29, 08, 2:07 pm   #13

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Quote:
Can you transfer those points to a child or does it have to match the name of the cardholder? I've never tried it so I have no idea.
amex will work. do it online, that way theres no one to question it. they say that its only supposed to be for people who are authorized on the amex account, but, it doesn't seem to matter online
Old Jul 29, 08, 2:21 pm   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP75, IHG/PC Plat Ambassador, Choice Plat, National Executive Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy0623 View Post
amex will work. do it online, that way theres no one to question it. they say that its only supposed to be for people who are authorized on the amex account, but, it doesn't seem to matter online
I've heard the same but (of course) I always redeemed MR points into my own mileage accounts.
icurhere2 is offline   Reply With Quote