Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated WN Hawai'i rumors thread (post-ATA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated WN Hawai'i rumors thread (post-ATA)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Within that link:

I'm not sure how 'recent' that ETOPS is, being that they've been flying to the Caribbean for over 2 years now.
ETOPS is not really required for much of the Caribbean, If they are close enough to land and an alternate landing field it isn't required. It's only required for Extended operations over water that require more than 60 minutes of single engine operation.
SoCaltravel likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:20 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Some of this I think qualifies as rumors and speculation:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/410...y-may-imminent
Let the (stock market) speculation begin!
N830MH likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: WN A-, CP
Wow that's a detailed post. Love the bit about matching up sunrise times to expected (and missed) announcement dates. The author's assumption of 12 flights a day seems optimistic given WN's relationship with red eye flights, but maybe with Amadeus we'll see them actually make a move on that. Would be interesting to see how that would impact WN's profitability to have that many planes tied up doing a single long trip vs. multiple turns daily considering the price competition from HA. Especially interesting when thinking about the likely number of non-rev pax.

Great article and thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by nsx
Let the (stock market) speculation begin!
Well I'm in for a short...
steved5480 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cpatrick
Wow that's a detailed post. Love the bit about matching up sunrise times to expected (and missed) announcement dates. The author's assumption of 12 flights a day seems optimistic given WN's relationship with red eye flights, but maybe with Amadeus we'll see them actually make a move on that. Would be interesting to see how that would impact WN's profitability to have that many planes tied up doing a single long trip vs. multiple turns daily considering the price competition from HA. Especially interesting when thinking about the likely number of non-rev pax.

Great article and thanks for sharing.
For comparison, WN's LAX-LIR flight seems to be similar in length to West Coast-Hawaii. Costa Rica is also two time zones away from LA.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
For comparison, WN's LAX-LIR flight seems to be similar in length to West Coast-Hawaii. Costa Rica is also two time zones away from LA.
I don't actually see LAX-LIR on the route map, is that a recently announced route?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by synergistic
I don't actually see LAX-LIR on the route map, is that a recently announced route?
This map shows a blue line between those two cities (indicating that there is a stop). I can't seem to search for a flight there from LAX on their website but FlightAware does seem to indicate that one would currently have to connect through HOU.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by synergistic
They used to fly that route. Not sure when it ended. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300202848.html

That being said, I’m not sure how Hawaii will be much different than flying LAX-BWI or SEA-BWI r/t. If they don’t fly red eyes, they could just run evening flights to the islands and morning flights to the west coast or run a full day of LAS/PHX-LAX-Hawaii-SAN-PHX/LAS or something similar.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by tusphotog
They used to fly that route. Not sure when it ended. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300202848.html

That being said, I’m not sure how Hawaii will be much different than flying LAX-BWI or SEA-BWI r/t. If they don’t fly red eyes, they could just run evening flights to the islands and morning flights to the west coast or run a full day of LAS/PHX-LAX-Hawaii-SAN-PHX/LAS or something similar.
Obviously, they will take redeye flight back to West Coast. They can put on the next flight back to East or anywhere else. They will landed in LAX and then connection the flight.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
From AT101:

RUMOR: Sources telling me OAK, SAN, LAX to HNL as first Southwest routes launching early 2018. Source has SWA Life access (employee intranet), moderate confidence.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:16 pm

Local news media is now picking up on the rumors of an imminent announcement by SWA.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...-hawaii-routes
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:43 pm

They should start the first flight from HNL to SFO on 7-November right around 16:00 or so Hawaii time.

http://newsroom.united.com/2017-09-1...ing-747-Flight

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...ts.aspx?NFT=FS
FlyerTalkUserName likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by hnl808
Local news media is now picking up on the rumors of an imminent announcement by SWA.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...-hawaii-routes
News/Press conference is scheduled at 10am Hawaii time for tomorrow morning.

Shhh. It is surprise. Don't forget to says "Aloha" to Southwest.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Again, from AT101: "Gate agents in SJC all wearing leis and Hawaiian sheets this morning........"
bgriz18 and FlyerTalkUserName like this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:43 am

All gate agents in DEN wearing Hawaiian shirts and leis too.
bgriz18 and FlyerTalkUserName like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.