Use of vouchers for internet fares

Old Oct 4, 2006, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Use of vouchers for internet fares

My apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered before. Search is giving me an error message.

I have a voucher that I received in May due to a lost baggage situation. It's a paper voucher that looks like on old fashioned airline ticket with red carbon paper.

I want to use it in a market where the lowest fare is now an internet fare. I called and was told that all I had to do was complete the travel and send in a copy of my itinerary and my voucher to the refund department. I would receive a refund on the credit card used to purchase the ticket.

When I read the FAQs, I saw this same information, but the FAQs made it sound like I needed special permission to do this. My discussion with the agent on the phone made it sound like anyone could do this anytime.

Before I buy this ticket, I want to make see if anyone here knows for sure if sending in the voucher after I travel will work. I wouldn't even think of buying this ticket if I couldn't use the voucher.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:02 pm

Programs: WN CP
Yes, it will work. The agent told you so, and the FAQ told you so. A new thread on the subject wasn't necessary.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your input, as well as your careful monitoring of the dreaded wasting of precious bandwidth.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 4:50 pm

With that, I'll add, "please learn how to use the search function."

You're welcome.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Yes, it will work. The agent told you so, and the FAQ told you so. A new thread on the subject wasn't necessary.
Your attitude is totally uncalled for. There is nothing wrong with someone asking a question to make sure he doesn't put himself in a bad position. Especially when it has to do with possibly losing money. You should stick to just answering the question and not admonishing people for doing something that isn't even wrong to begin with or just ignoring the thread and not replying at all.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 7:45 pm

The FAQ exists to answer Frequently Asked Questions. The OP's question happens to be one of those. When he called WN, they confirmed what the FAQ says. It is ignorant to start a new thread to ask a question that has already been answered twice. That's not attitude. That's fact.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
curb, I respect your opinions, but think you were a bit tough. The FAQ are good, but very lengthly and sometimes incorrect as they are not kept current (a difficult job).

In fact nsx comment there states: (nsx/73G) You cannot use a paper travel voucher to purchase a ticket online. It is rumored that bump vouchers will change to electronic credits, probably similar to gift cards. When this will happen is anyone's guess. Until then, Southwest may offer you a work-around on request. If approved, you will be told to purchase your travel online and mail in proof of purchase along with your paper voucher for credit back to your credit card.

I do not think one needs to be "approved". If so, does SWA keep track of the approvals? Really, one only needs to take the trip and send in the voucher - which I think you know.

Asking a question when one does not find the answer through a search is not a big deal. In fact, I am sure there are many "answers" where it would be next to impossible to find as people use different terms for the same items.

Yes, I agree one should try FAQ. But they are so lenghtly and not always easy to find an answer. But a question that has an answer there is not that big a deal, really.

Sorry I disagree on this one, but I call them as I see them.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
With that, I'll add, "please learn how to use the search function."

You're welcome.
This of course presumes that the search function works flawlessly all the time, which for me at least, it doesn't.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
This of course presumes that the search function works flawlessly all the time, which for me at least, it doesn't.
I just threw it in for good measure. When WN's answer matches the FAQ, you needn't even search.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHLJJS
Your attitude is totally uncalled for. There is nothing wrong with someone asking a question to make sure he doesn't put himself in a bad position. Especially when it has to do with possibly losing money. You should stick to just answering the question and not admonishing people for doing something that isn't even wrong to begin with or just ignoring the thread and not replying at all.
Thank you.

I've been posting here for 4 years now, and I lurked for awhile before that. As my post count shows, I don't sit around and put things on the board just for fun. I'm really starting to be bothered by the attitude of some people who think that the best post is "use search" (BTW, as I specifically said in my OP, it wasn't working) or "stupid question." This is a general comment, not directed to curbcrusher whose posts I've always respected before this. Frankly, it's a lot less of a problem here than on the AA board.

As SAPMAN correctly points out, the FAQ's aren't clear on this point. That's why I asked the question. Had curbcrusher read the FAQs instead of just telling me I was wasting his time, he would have known that.

I am officially done with this topic. Like I said above, I've always respected curbcrusher, and I'm just going to lay this one aside.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 8:42 am

I'm sorry if you interpreted my original response as attitude. That wasn't my intent.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by zachary
I'm really starting to be bothered by the attitude of some people who think that the best post is "use search" (BTW, as I specifically said in my OP, it wasn't working) or "stupid question."
When I read your OP, I understood your need for clarification, and the response you were given shocked me, too. I had a SW question last month and now I'm glad I didn't post here.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Yes what the agent told you is correct and it should be on the voucher in the fine print.

If you have more than one voucher you can combine them as well. I had 2-$50 LUV vouchers for a flight that was really messed up in May and used them both on one July flight. It says to allow 6 to 8 weeks for the credit but I had the credit in just a couple weeks after mailing them in.

Originally Posted by zachary
My apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered before. Search is giving me an error message.

I have a voucher that I received in May due to a lost baggage situation. It's a paper voucher that looks like on old fashioned airline ticket with red carbon paper.

I want to use it in a market where the lowest fare is now an internet fare. I called and was told that all I had to do was complete the travel and send in a copy of my itinerary and my voucher to the refund department. I would receive a refund on the credit card used to purchase the ticket.

When I read the FAQs, I saw this same information, but the FAQs made it sound like I needed special permission to do this. My discussion with the agent on the phone made it sound like anyone could do this anytime.

Before I buy this ticket, I want to make see if anyone here knows for sure if sending in the voucher after I travel will work. I wouldn't even think of buying this ticket if I couldn't use the voucher.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I'm sorry if you interpreted my original response as attitude. That wasn't my intent.
You actually owe the OP an apology -- not an "I'm sorry IF you misunderstood me..." He had, in fact, done the research and was simply asking a follow-up question to make sure that he understood it. While it is very rare, I have received mis-information from WN agents once or twice.

What, on earth, was wrong with the OP's original question?
Old Oct 7, 2006, 9:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, MR Plat, PC Plat
Hey, the guy just wanted some help.. Excuse him for not being able to find the answer in the FAQ.. BIG DEAL, give the guy a break!

So what, he posted a repeative question..

Isn't the entire point of a forum for assistance and sharing on info?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.