Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official schedule extension prediction thread

Official schedule extension prediction thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
Hi,

I typically fly this week due to my work schedule and can not change my vacation schedule. I am always on the computer first thing in the AM when the schedule comes out, and have never seen such high prices as I have this year. Maybe JetBlue has lower prices out of PVD as WN seems to have cornered the market there, and it is just a matter of time before Jet Blue increases their prices. Competition is good for the consumer.

ML
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Originally Posted by nsx
For as long as I can recall, Southwest has held its prices high for peak travel times until the last few weeks before travel. Then and only then will they relent and lower prices if needed to sell all their seats.

Maybe other airlines are dumb, or maybe they have more accurate projections far in advance of how many seats they will sell.
Took two months from schedule release for them to open WGA fares on Sunday after Thanksgiving for something as simple as DAL-HOU. WGA fares dropped lower one month later.

For whatever that's worth.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:06 pm

Over 48k points for a MSP/TPA R/T March ?

You can fly Delta nonstop for 40K if you book 330 days out

Will these prices drop ?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
Anyone know where the "Travel Tools" section went? It's the page that listed the date of the next schedule extension.

Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by DoctorK
Anyone know where the "Travel Tools" section went? It's the page that listed the date of the next schedule extension.

Thanks!
Google is your friend, here:

http://www.southwest.com/html/travel...OOLS-CAR-TOOLS

But from the main page, no, I can't figure out how to get to it. There don't seem to be any links nor is there a site map I can find.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
Originally Posted by texashoser

But from the main page, no, I can't figure out how to get to it. There don't seem to be any links nor is there a site map I can find.
Cool, thanks. I'm not sure that's a page that is being updated, though, given they don't have a link to it. They moved the date around a lot last time so hopefully that remains an accurate source of information.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Is that next schedule extension is on October 27? I went onto the entire website.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: WN A&cp, SPGplat
Originally Posted by N830MH
Is that next schedule extension is on October 27? I went onto the entire website.
Yes, Oct 27.

Easy direct link: http://www.southwest.com/html/travel-tools/
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by steved5480
March = Spring Break = people sending/taking their offspring to all sorts of warm exotic locales = packed flights = sky-high pricing = whatever the market will bear.
There are going to be some empty planes flying to Florida from the BWI/PHL/EWR area. WN is hundreds of dollars more than AA, B9 or even UA.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by airb330
There are going to be some empty planes flying to Florida from the BWI/PHL/EWR area. WN is hundreds of dollars more than AA, B9 or even UA.
WN doesn't directly competes on EWR-Florida except connections via BNA which is a little out of the way, especially to S. Florida. Out of PHL and BWI, B6 and UA do not directly compete

Out of PHL, it's competitive against US Air.

It usually adjusts pricing about a month or six weeks closer to the flight date.

I think a cold winter can push sales up on all nonstop and reasonable one-stop connection tickets (like NE-BWI-Florida) from all carriers to Florida. With a mild winter (more prevalent three years ago or so), pax easily change their ticket to another date, and Southwest can get screwed. I've flown on a PHL-FLL flight that was 25% full and wondered if it was because of the mild weekend when I flew out of PHL. Southwest didn't lower the ticket pricing the week around the trip either to help fill the plane as existing customers would just

Last edited by rtalk25; Sep 10, 2014 at 12:08 pm
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:02 am

From the main page, you can click on the magnifying glass and enter travel tools, but you need to know that that's the name used for the page with the next schedule extension date. Or open schedule?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rtalk25
WN doesn't directly competes on EWR-Florida except connections via BNA which is a little out of the way, especially to S. Florida. Out of PHL and BWI, B6 and UA do not directly compete

Out of PHL, it's competitive against US Air.

It usually adjusts pricing about a month or six weeks closer to the flight date.

I think a cold winter can push sales up on all nonstop and reasonable one-stop connection tickets (like NE-BWI-Florida) from all carriers to Florida. With a mild winter (more prevalent three years ago or so), pax easily change their ticket to another date, and Southwest can get screwed. I've flown on a PHL-FLL flight that was 25% full and wondered if it was because of the mild weekend when I flew out of PHL. Southwest didn't lower the ticket pricing the week around the trip either to help fill the plane as existing customers would just
For WN to charge $800 to Florida is insanity when US/AA starts at $300 from Philly. That is direct competition. From the DC area I could also take US/AA nonstop from around $300, WN is over $600-800 from BWI. That is also pretty direction competition.

I can also travel to NYC area and find nonstops for $275 on B9, or $400 on UA. I was stating in this general area (mid-atlantic) WN is outrageous. Yes, you are correct in the fact they do not directly compete as you stated I was just mentioning in this area people have multiple options of airports within a 90 minute drive. It used to be that WN would be the cheapest option, somewhere, whether PHL or BWI, but now that is extremely rare.

While I wish this was an isolated incident due to Spring Break, it seems anytime I need to travel to Florida, WN is significantly more than anyone else. I fear they are just going to pull out of PHL completely, they've shrank a lot as it is. They'll just have their fortress at BWI and continue to raise fares. I'm glad WN adjusts the rates 4-6 weeks out, but that's late for leisure travel. But hey if WN is filling planes at BWI and PHL with those rates, good for them. Let's hope for a mild winter for our own sakes and for cheaper airfare
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:27 am

They have pushed the date up:

We are currently accepting air reservations through April 6, 2015. On November 10, 2014, we will open our schedule for sale through June 5, 2015. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by flyerchuk
They have pushed the date up:

We are currently accepting air reservations through April 6, 2015. On November 10, 2014, we will open our schedule for sale through June 5, 2015. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.
Do they usually push the date back that far ?

The new schedule was supposed to open Monday
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Do they usually push the date back that far ?

The new schedule was supposed to open Monday
Define "Usually"?

IIRC, no, not generally. It slips and slides a bit on occasion, but nothing too dramatic.

Remember that we are now in the throes of bye-bye Wright, still in ongoing contract negotiations with most/all unions, ingesting the final scraps of that which was AirTran, starting/expanding/stabilizing International service, cleaning up the mess from This, and presumably still attempting to address This.

All of this with Southwest's renowned IT "system", and all overseen by a Bean Counter.

I had an MCI-LAS this past Saturday arrive 20 minutes early and an LAS-MCI return arrive 10 minutes early. Both on stuffed-full -800s & both with Outstanding Southwest Employees aboard. While two flights are statistically meaningless, perhaps there is hope.

I'm frankly amazed that it works as well as it does

///GO ROYALS///

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.