Wiki Posts
Search

FA's promoting end of Wright Amendmant

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2005, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-List
FA's promoting end of Wright Amendmant

Yesterday after touching down in PHX the FA ended the "welcome to Phoenix" speech with a pitch to support the end the Wright amendment. After he said "and you will see cheaper fares and more destinations" a lady yelled out "on another airline" Obviously she didn't quite agree with the FA. This is a contentious issue amongst DFW residents, should the FA's even be going there?
Old Aug 19, 2005, 4:56 pm

Programs: WN CP
Why not go there? It makes sense that WN's employees would want to spread the word since the repeal is a company initiative.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Why not go there? It makes sense that WN's employees would want to spread the word since the repeal is a company initiative.
I find it a little annoying that WN pushes the issue on its web site, reservation line hold message, and inflight PA announcements. I mean, AA isn't campaigning against repeal in any of these venues.

(Personally I have no problem with the message on the web site or in the in-flight magazine, but I find the reservation line hold message and inflight PA announcement annoying because they are more intrusive than the other means.)

To be honest, I am pretty annoyed by the new Southwest attitude of "we're the most financially successful airline in the United States, but we still feel compelled to annoy passengers with political messages and devaluation of the frequent flyer program." Give me a break, please.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 6:38 pm

The in-flight announcements are not just the ideas of some enterprising flight attendants -- it's a directive from Colleen Barrett.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Dunbar
Yesterday after touching down in PHX the FA ended the "welcome to Phoenix" speech with a pitch to support the end the Wright amendment. After he said "and you will see cheaper fares and more destinations" a lady yelled out "on another airline" Obviously she didn't quite agree with the FA. This is a contentious issue amongst DFW residents, should the FA's even be going there?
I personally don't like it, but I also don't care for any mindless chatter by the FA's (or pilots) when I'm flying. It has gotten incredibly old.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:06 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Well, it beats "I am here for your safety ONLY" any day.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool

WN should put their views in their inflight magazine. Allowing or requiring FA's to monologue at the end of a flight is just poor taste.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 10:30 pm

Nevermind...

Last edited by curbcrusher; Aug 19, 2005 at 10:46 pm
Old Aug 19, 2005, 10:36 pm

Nevermind...

Last edited by curbcrusher; Aug 19, 2005 at 10:46 pm
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:03 pm

Yes, but forcing an already captive audience to listen their one-sided argument is what I have a problem with. WN is acting like repealing WA is an important issue on the same level as starving kids in Niger or the war in Iraq.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Yes, but forcing an already captive audience to listen their one-sided argument is what I have a problem with.
You don't fly WN, so who cares? Further, if it really bothers those that do fly WN, there is no shortage of anti-WA-speech-free alternative carriers.

WN is acting like repealing WA is an important issue on the same level as starving kids in Niger or the war in Iraq.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:11 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Originally Posted by justageek
I mean, AA isn't campaigning against repeal in any of these venues.
No, but they are pushing it on the employees quite hard, and I hear they're making a number of comments locally in the Dallas area to push their case.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:25 am

Cool

Originally Posted by StSebastian
No, but they are pushing it on the employees quite hard, and I hear they're making a number of comments locally in the Dallas area to push their case.
I have yet to hear any AA employee, from the ticket counter to baggage claim, mention anything about WA. I have never been forced to listen to any WA monologue either.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:21 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
I have yet to hear any AA employee, from the ticket counter to baggage claim, mention anything about WA. I have never been forced to listen to any WA monologue either.
I think AA is taking the position that they should lobby locally in the Dallas area and get the employees to contact legislators rather than public announcements to the passengers.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
AA and the DFW Airport Board have given a pile of cash and benefits to a whole host of local politicians, so they've pretty much got things "wired," notwithstanding overwhelming public sentiment for repeal. (Just to be sure, AA is encouraging uniformed FAs to pack constituent meetings for Reps. Marchant and Burgess planned for later this month, even if the FAs aren't actually constituents.)

The only way WN is going to be able to get moronic law repealed is to galvanize public support. In contrast, AA doesn't really need to do anything except to keep up the "care and feeding" of a handful of local politicians. It's also would be tough for AA to come up with a catchy in-flight campaign; "Save our monopoly!" "Let the gouging of DFW travelers continue!" or "Protect politically wired airport contractors!" don't really pack the same kind of punch.

Last edited by HKG_Flyer1; Aug 21, 2005 at 2:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.