Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

2-day sale: $29 intra-CA fares T Th Sa through mid-Feb: 990 or 822 points!!

Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:42 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

$29 fares including taxes haven't been seen here in a very long time. Maybe decades. This is perfect for segment runs to qualify for fast track to A-list or even to reach 100 flights for Companion Pass. (Although same-day segment runs are likely to be auto-cancelled, requiring a phone call to restore them.)

Points bookings are 990 points, down to an incredible 822 points for very early or very late departures.

Details at

https://www.southwest.com/html/promo...26_offers.html
Book by 9/27. Nonrefundable. Seats, travel days, and markets limited. 21-day advance purchase required. Blackout dates apply. Continental US travel valid 10/17/2017 – 2/14/2018 and international travel valid 10/17/2017 – 2/14/2018. Points bookings do not include government fees from $5.60 per one-way flight.
Edited to add: A $29 fare earns 83 points. That's hilarious!
SanDiego1K and FindAWay like this.

Last edited by nsx; Sep 26, 2017 at 8:50 am
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Ww. This is a really good deal. Haven't seen $29 since the nineties, I want to say.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Yeah, this is so rare. Maybe it shows up unadvertised from time to time, but for Southwest to call it out is very unusual.

That being said, this is very bad news for investors in airlines (well, it is rare that there is ever good news for such investors).

And to be clear, $27 is the lowest advertised price, I am not sure why they didn't use that for the tagline.

Rasheed
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:17 am
Community Director Emerita

There are several $29 routes from San Diego, such as Oakland, San Francisco, San Jose, and Sacramento. Is it possible to do 3 RTs in a day, thus requalifying for the promo A List status I was given a few weeks back? Which route should I target?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:22 am

Of course that starts right after my challenge ends =p I could have saved ~$50! Still very impressed, I've definitely only found these unadvertised before. Enjoy, Californians...
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:29 am
RJ1

Was resigned to the fact that I wouldn't requal for A-List next year, until I saw this sale announcement in my email this morning. All booked. I've got to do 4 round trips, but that is still cheaper than what it would cost to purchase EBCI for all of my planned 2018 travel. Sweet. ^
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Just in time as I need 4 more segments for A-list. ^

Mid-Haul also great fares, e.g. $49 OAK-SLC !!

Will also save some $$ on January family trip though have to be careful as I see price goes up depending on # of people in your reservation (limited inventory?)

Last edited by Boraxo; Sep 26, 2017 at 1:35 pm
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:05 pm
RJ1

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
There are several $29 routes from San Diego, such as Oakland, San Francisco, San Jose, and Sacramento. Is it possible to do 3 RTs in a day, thus requalifying for the promo A List status I was given a few weeks back? Which route should I target?
For my day RT's, I targeted OAK in the hope of fewer chances for delays. I was happy to see that BUR also had the rock bottom fares as well, since for me it is a little closer than LAX, plus a lot easier access. Usually BUR is a bit more expensive than LAX, but not this time.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:30 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I checked for a Saturday, figuring thinner schedule but less chance of flight delays and higher chance of empty middle seat. I made a mini spreadsheet of flight times for LAX-SFO LAX-OAK LAX-SJC BUR-OAK BUR-SJC and the return trips for all those. Then I picked a route. 5 segments was comfortable but 6 required some tight connections. I'll bet you can do 6 if you are willing to risk partial failure of the run or if you fly on a Tuesday or Wednesday and finish very late in the day.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:34 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by nsx
I checked for a Saturday, figuring thinner schedule but less chance of flight delays and higher chance of empty middle seat. I made a mini spreadsheet of flight times for LAX-SFO LAX-OAK LAX-SJC BUR-OAK BUR-SJC and the return trips for all those. Then I picked a route. 5 segments was comfortable but 6 required some tight connections. I'll bet you can do 6 if you are willing to risk partial failure of the run or if you fly on a Tuesday or Wednesday and finish very late in the day.
You are a star. Thank you for all your hard work. I've now rebooked two segments that I had booked earlier with points. That leaves me 4 segments to fly which should be easy in one day.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:58 pm

Thanks a lot to @nsx for this alert. I was able to book some $29 day trips and will maintain my A-list from the CA challenge.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:37 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

After devising several different runs of 5 or 6 segments but before booking anything, I decided to change my plan for jump-starting my 2018 segment count. Now I'm going to make 2 round trips per week rather than one during the sale weeks. With the new standby policy I can fly whenever I'm ready, so this should be simple. It's more total travel time but I feel like I'm getting some value from the extra trips.

As a side benefit, Southwest's auto-cancellation 'bot won't cause havoc with my bookings.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:39 pm

Seems one of the best benefits of same-day standby is that at least for non busy days (i.e. not a Sunday coming back from Vegas) you can simply just get the cheapest latest flight every time and leave whenever the heck you want for the cheapest price. It really doesn't get any better than that....
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by braddqq
Seems one of the best benefits of same-day standby is that at least for non busy days (i.e. not a Sunday coming back from Vegas) you can simply just get the cheapest latest flight every time and leave whenever the heck you want for the cheapest price. It really doesn't get any better than that....
Well it could get better, if it were free same day confirmed change rather than standby, like on AS (and I assume others)
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by braddqq
Does not really work that way unless you are ultra-flexible. 6am flights are often (and sometimes the only) cheapest flights, even if you can standby you risk getting shut out for hours. Sometimes last flight out is cheap but most people do not want to waste hours at airport if they can't confirm earlier flight. And of course this doesn't work at all for a family with young kids...

I am glad SDR is now a perk but it isn't as good as UA where I get a confirmed seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.