Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Pass Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: Southwest
FYI, I applied for both the Plus and Premier on Sept. 10 and was approved for both. Just received the cards yesterday (9/18). I sent a secure message to Chase and was told I had until Jan. 3, 2018 to meet the spend.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by spoons
FYI, I applied for both the Plus and Premier on Sept. 10 and was approved for both. Just received the cards yesterday (9/18). I sent a secure message to Chase and was told I had until Jan. 3, 2018 to meet the spend.
That's good to know!!
Do you know your statement date??
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:15 pm

That would be 112 days, longest I have ever seen
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:34 pm

Is it safe to apply now for both personal cards and then have the statement date adjusted to the 10th? That way you would have time after Dec 10th to reach min spend and have all points post in Jan 2018? My plan is to apply for both personal cards on the same day.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by thatguy47
Is it safe to apply now for both personal cards and then have the statement date adjusted to the 10th? That way you would have time after Dec 10th to reach min spend and have all points post in Jan 2018? My plan is to apply for both personal cards on the same day.
Nobody can answer that question with 100% accuracy.

I would wait at least another week
thatguy47 and beccafries like this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: Southwest
Originally Posted by flyer4512
That would be 112 days, longest I have ever seen
Yes, I was surprised. I've had a lot of unexpected travel needs pop up for the rest of this year and am actually aiming for 17/18 CP, so I won't be trying to time it for 18/19. But I was curious, so I went ahead and asked.

I assumed they would pull the offer before October to prevent people from so easily earning a two-year CP, but perhaps not.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:00 pm

Yes, I was surprised. I've had a lot of unexpected travel needs pop up for the rest of this year and am actually aiming for 17/18 CP, so I won't be trying to time it for 18/19. But I was curious, so I went ahead and asked.

I assumed they would pull the offer before October to prevent people from so easily earning a two-year CP, but perhaps not.

I would change the statement dates to like the 15th and complete both spends on 12/16.

If they post early you have CP for 2017/2018..............if they post in 2018 you are all set for 2 years of CP

BTW< I would also CALL Chase and ask another rep what the spend by date is, if he/she say January 3 you SHOULD be all set.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
I would change the statement dates to like the 15th and complete both spends on 12/16.

If they post early you have CP for 2017/2018..............if they post in 2018 you are all set for 2 years of CP

BTW< I would also CALL Chase and ask another rep what the spend by date is, if he/she say January 3 you SHOULD be all set.
Any points earned after you December statement ends will be awarded after your January statement ends. So that would be a good plan for earning it for 2018-19 but the OP stated he wanted to earn it for the rest of 2017. If that's the case, I suggest not changing any statement dates and completing the spend as soon as possible. In my experience, most changes push out you next statement date, not pull it forward. And since points won't be awarded until the statement closes, it will be that much longer of a wait.

The OP also needs to understand that depending on how fast he can meet the minimum spend, when that statement ends, and how long it takes for those points to transfer over to WN, it could very well be sometime in November before the pass is earned.

Also, keep in mind that any spend required to trigger the bonus needs to post to your account about 7 days prior to that statement ending or else you will have to wait for the next one. This could be more than just an inconvenience if it caused one card to post in 2017 and the other to post in 2018. If that happens, you can say goodbye to the companion pass.

JMHO but this late in the game I would do everything necessary to delay those points posting until 2018. Unless you have a lot if flights before the end of the year, I don't think it's worth it.

Last edited by Critterlynn; Sep 20, 2017 at 4:16 pm
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Any points earned after you December statement ends will be awarded after your January statement ends. So that would be a good plan for earning it for 2018-19 but the OP stated he wanted to earn it for the rest of 2017. If that's the case, I suggest not changing any statement dates and completing the spend as soon as possible. In my experience, most changes push out you next statement date, not pull it forward. And since points won't be awarded until the statement closes, it will be that much longer of a wait.

The OP also needs to understand that depending on how fast he can meet the minimum spend, when that statement ends, and how long it takes for those points to transfer over to WN, it could very well be sometime in November before the pass is earned.

Also, keep in mind that any spend required to trigger the bonus needs to post to your account about 7 days prior to that statement ending or else you will have to wait for the next one. This could be more than just an inconvenience if it caused one card to post in 2017 and the other to post in 2018. If that happens, you can say goodbye to the companion pass.

JMHO but this late in the game I would do everything necessary to delay those points posting until 2018. Unless you have a lot if flights before the end of the year, I don't think it's worth it.
Don't forget, on 12/31/2017 Southwest could say credit card signup bonuses no longer count towards CP and/or raise the points required.

We already have CP fr 2017/18 but my wife is getting it ( assuming the rules stay the same) for 2018/19 as I'm sure at some point CP as we know it is going to end
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Don't forget, on 12/31/2017 Southwest could say credit card signup bonuses no longer count towards CP and/or raise the points required.

We already have CP fr 2017/18 but my wife is getting it ( assuming the rules stay the same) for 2018/19 as I'm sure at some point CP as we know it is going to end
Let's hope not.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:24 am

Do you know your due dates & statement close dates??
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
According to email I just received from WN, the 60k signup bonus is ending on October 1. Hopefully it will only drop back to 50k...

That's pure speculation with absolutely no basis in fact. If this was in the works, it would have made more sense to announce the change at the same time as the announcement that hotel point transfers would no longer count.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
According to email I just received from WN, the 60k signup bonus is ending on October 1. Hopefully it will only drop back to 50k...
Hmm, everyone has been saying Oct. 4. Interesting.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: LTP, PP

That's pure speculation with absolutely no basis in fact. If this was in the works, it would have made more sense to announce the change at the same time as the announcement that hotel point transfers would no longer count.
It's all speculation until announced! And who said it had to make sense? A year ago speculation that hotel point transfers would no longer count on 1/1/17 (later rescinded to 4/1) would have been prophetic.

If anything, recent past history acknowledges they are onto the game. At least hotel points are earned where this is a pure handout and they had no qualms pulling the plug w/o notice once. I would beware...

Last edited by joshua362; Sep 21, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:31 pm

Of course it's speculation (as I said) nobody knows.

There is nothing that says they can't change the rules at any time, I take you back to last year.

As the year ends an the bloggers start pumping CP the suits take notice...........no doubt the bloggers helped shut down the Marriott travel package route to CP

Last edited by flyer4512; Sep 21, 2017 at 2:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.