Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Misleading email: You've come so far!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Misleading email: You've come so far!

Did anyone else receive an email from Southwest yesterday with the subject line "You've come so far!"

I found this email very misleading. I've flown once one-way on them this year and they claim "You've already saved up to $60 on checked bags with us."

Their footnote:
*Checked baggage fee comparison is based on Southwest = 1st and 2nd bag free (weight and size limits apply) vs. legacy airlines = 2 bags $60/one-way multiplied by the number of one-way trips you completed between 1/1/2017 and 7/17/2017. Legacy airlines' websites as of 7/17/2017 for checked bag fees charged at time of booking the lowest unbundled domestic main cabin fare for customers without status or other qualified circumstances.

I didn't check any bags on them! They should know how many bags I've checked and not mislead people to think they saved more than they did.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by ScroogeMcFlyer
Did anyone else receive an email from Southwest yesterday with the subject line "You've come so far!"

I found this email very misleading. I've flown once one-way on them this year and they claim "You've already saved up to $60 on checked bags with us."

Their footnote:
*Checked baggage fee comparison is based on Southwest = 1st and 2nd bag free (weight and size limits apply) vs. legacy airlines = 2 bags $60/one-way multiplied by the number of one-way trips you completed between 1/1/2017 and 7/17/2017. Legacy airlines' websites as of 7/17/2017 for checked bag fees charged at time of booking the lowest unbundled domestic main cabin fare for customers without status or other qualified circumstances.

I didn't check any bags on them! They should know how many bags I've checked and not mislead people to think they saved more than they did.
You do understand the meaning of "up to", right? I got the same email, and just glanced at it, the same as any of the other 20-30 I get every day.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:05 am
Original Poster

To me, "Up to" implies that different competitors charge different amounts, so the savings can vary.

When they choose to personalize the "savings" to my travel history, and the correct value is $0 because a bag was not checked, saying "up to $60", when their own records of my bag checking history show the actual value is "up to $0", that's misleading.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:16 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I am getting pretty annoyed by Southwest's recent initiative to spam its customers. As soon as I set up a filter for one type of spam they create another. The latest is the nag to book a trip where I was just re-checking the fare on a trip I had already booked.

I guess I need to logout before searching fares so they won't have the necessary identifying information to spam me. @:-)
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:43 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Mountain out of a mole hill.....you flew them once. IF you had checked 2 bags...you would have saved up to $60-$65 had you flown any other airline that charges for bags. They weren't saying you checked any bags and they don't care. The free checked bags is pretty much the only thing this airline has going for them so they have to milk it for all it's worth. They're essentially saying look how much you can save with flying us.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jackvogt
The free checked bags is pretty much the only thing this airline has going for them...
Ha ha ha
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by jackvogt
...The free checked bags is pretty much the only thing this airline has going for them...
That and change or cancel your ticket with no penalty... and nice GAs and FAs... at least the ones I've come across... oh and the Companion Pass... but other than those things, they suck.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: WN RR A-List Preferred & CP, Alaska Air MVP Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
ScroogeMcFlyer, you have named yourself appropriately.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I'm amazed that they have the IT time and inclination to mine, program and create these silly emails yet larger more important tasks, such as AT & BS refundability, are ignored.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:22 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by pkerr
That and change or cancel your ticket with no penalty... and nice GAs and FAs... at least the ones I've come across... oh and the Companion Pass... but other than those things, they suck.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:45 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
As far as annoying WN emails go, this one feels pretty harmless. You're lucky they didn't include the no-change fees into their calculation of how much you saved!

(While I didn't save the up to $1000+ reported in my email, I know I have saved at least $100 in baggage fees this year, so that feels pretty good). Like @nsx, I'm also starting to get pretty annoyed by the "Come back and book your AAA-BBB" emails that I receive when I'm just checking a flight to see if I should refare
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryw
As far as annoying WN emails go, this one feels pretty harmless. You're lucky they didn't include the no-change fees into their calculation of how much you saved!

(While I didn't save the up to $1000+ reported in my email, I know I have saved at least $100 in baggage fees this year, so that feels pretty good). Like @nsx, I'm also starting to get pretty annoyed by the "Come back and book your AAA-BBB" emails that I receive when I'm just checking a flight to see if I should refare
I believe in truth in advertising. If they quoted you up to $1000 in savings, that's not justified by the 4 or so bags you checked this. If they use data to personalize the savings, it doesn't take much additional work to see how many bags you checked and provide a truthful savings estimate.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's not deceptive, but WN gets away with this stuff because people really believe that the first two bags are "free" and that there are no "change fees".

Just proves that there is one born every minute.

Few people check bags these days. They have learned to pack. Even fewer check two bags.

Sure, WN doesn't have change fees, but you pay the new price and that can be a lot. In addition if you change a refundable ticket of any kind, it becomes unrefundable.

You have to give WN marketing folks credit, they do make it appear to be a good deal when it is the same deal as any other. Sometimes cheaper, sometimes more and often roughly the same.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have a booking I've changed about 4 times since I originally booked it. I'm waiting for my email telling me I've saved $1,000 by flying Southwest.

(The whole booking is worth about $150. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.