Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sitting my family together

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Poster mentioned a "guarantee." That word has a standard definition in the English language. It means 100%.

None of this stuff on any airline is 100%.

Other airlines split groups, move people around (Ann Coulter), seat an air marshal at the last second, change plane types, etc.
Sure... all that could happen but my use of the word guarantee was more to say it's closer to 100% than anything happening on WN. Sure you could be moved around but for the most part, IE a vast majority of passengers, that choose seats together end up sitting together.

On WN you don't get to choose in advance.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:52 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Who cares what boarding group everyone in your party is in. Just board with your whole family. Worst case Scenario you have to ask someone to move seats. Most kind people would be happy to help.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Who cares what boarding group everyone in your party is in. Just board with your whole family. Worst case Scenario you have to ask someone to move seats. Most kind people would be happy to help.
Not the people on flyertalk.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Not the people on flyertalk.
Not people in general. And rightfully so. Want seats together? Pay for them.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Good luck @ T- 24!

Originally Posted by luminajd
11, 8, 6
https://www.southwest.com/html/trave...the-plane.html

Per SW website: "Family boarding is available - Families traveling with children six years or younger may board before the "B" boarding group"

Personally I wouldn't worry about paying for EBCI. In your situation here's what I would do:

• Set a reminder @ EXACTLY 24 hrs + 5 mins before the flight to pre-enter your information (record locator, first and last name) into your SW app or via website.
  • Then start hitting / tapping the "check in button" repeatedly/mind numbing endlessly. You'll get a "too early to check in" message about 30-50X...
  • Keeping hitting the virtual "check in button". As soon as the SW computer clock hits T-24 you'll get in.
  • DON'T STOP to add check in bags (you can always add them later or at the counter).
  • Click thru as quickly as possible until you get a boarding pass assigned. The quicker you get thru this part, the higher your number 'should' be a 10 second delay could mean the difference between A55 and B38 (we have had that happen to us! 2 separate PNRs - Android app vs iPhone app both checking in for the same flight.)

Bonus tip - highlight, copy and paste the record locator (rather than typing it in) in case the app or website loses your information at the last second. It's quicker to repaste the locator and then type your name back in rather than re-finding that cryptic sequence of digits and letters.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I flew WN for 18 months and had whatever A-List is best but not companion and my wife was turned away three times because she was a high A, while trying to board with me. I was told we could board together during "Family Boarding"... it's a joke at best. My post Airtran experiment was a huge failure in many ways but that was one of my biggest issues.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I flew WN for 18 months and had whatever A-List is best but not companion and my wife was turned away three times because she was a high A, while trying to board with me. I was told we could board together during "Family Boarding"... it's a joke at best. My post Airtran experiment was a huge failure in many ways but that was one of my biggest issues.
That doesn't make sense. Why would you have to board later than her boarding number? If she was high A that would be before family boarding. In any event, you both could board at her A position or you could board at yours and save her a middle seat for when she boards. Actually if she was boarding high A's you wouldn't even need to save the middle. No one in front of her would be likely to sit in the middle next to you with so many windows and aisles open. Of course YMMV if there were a significantly high number of through passengers.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by kb9522
Not people in general. And rightfully so. Want seats together? Pay for them.
Exactly, we pay for 2 EBCI when we could just easily save one seat.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:38 am
formerly jackvogt

Personally this is one of the reasons I hate southwest so much...you shouldn't have to pay for your family to sit together. As for you flyer talk people... really??? If you want to sit together then pay? I'm trying to figure out why everyone must follow the rules except for y'all.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by justhere
That doesn't make sense. Why would you have to board later than her boarding number? If she was high A that would be before family boarding. In any event, you both could board at her A position or you could board at yours and save her a middle seat for when she boards. Actually if she was boarding high A's you wouldn't even need to save the middle. No one in front of her would be likely to sit in the middle next to you with so many windows and aisles open. Of course YMMV if there were a significantly high number of through passengers.
She didn't have an 'high A'. She would have something near the End of A or worse. First time we didn't check her in until the airport thinking it didn't matter and she would just board with me(like practically every airline on the planet), we were wrong. There are a lot of WN travelers and they all know to login and check-in ASAP.

And your recommendation works, sometimes, but it is not a guarantee.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:05 am

Personally this is one of the reasons I hate southwest so much...you shouldn't have to pay for your family to sit together. As for you flyer talk people... really??? If you want to sit together then pay? I'm trying to figure out why everyone must follow the rules except for y'all.
Paying would be "following the rules " . Why should I ( or anyone else) pay to board early and them give up my seat ?

"Y'ALL " are free to pay for EBCI also.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Personally this is one of the reasons I hate southwest so much...you shouldn't have to pay for your family to sit together.
OMG, there IS a solution that works for FREE- saw it happen last night on my way home. There was a family of 5 who all managed to sit together, even though they boarded "with" me during Family Boarding (I had an A-List "A-61" position due to a same-day standby):

THEY.
SAT.
IN.
THE.

<bleeping>
BACK.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:42 am
formerly jackvogt

I love the back. Better views��
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Couldn't tell ya, I'm always on the aisle. But I'm always back there 'cause unless the plane is 100% full, there's usually at least an empty middle.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Exactly, we pay for 2 EBCI when we could just easily save one seat.
If for some sickening reason I was on a SW flight the "I'm saving this seat" crap would not fly if I wanted the seat and got there before whoever you were saving it for did.

Paying is following the rules. What are you on about?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.