New to SW: EBCI question

Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
New to SW: EBCI question

Hi All,

Taking my first WN flight in 7 years this week. I purchased EBCI, the way I understand it will be assigned for me @ 36hrs before the flight and am curious when and where I will received my boarding pass.

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by Start_at_UIN; Jul 18, 2017 at 12:49 pm Reason: Changed SW to WN
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:47 am

You are correct that it will check you in 36 hours before your flight, at which point your boarding position will be assigned. Starting 24 hours before your flight you can "check in" online or in the app to view, print, or receive a mobile boarding pass. You still select the option to check-in but you are technically checked in already, just go through with entering your confirmation # and name and it will then give you your boarding position and options for your boarding pass.

You can also choose to receive your boarding pass when you arrive to the airport - if you are not checking bags there may be kiosks that allow you to print your pass, otherwise you will see one of the agents at the check-in desk and they can print.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by willywilkes
You are correct that it will check you in 36 hours before your flight, at which point your boarding position will be assigned. Starting 24 hours before your flight you can "check in" online or in the app to view, print, or receive a mobile boarding pass. You still select the option to check-in but you are technically checked in already, just go through with entering your confirmation # and name and it will then give you your boarding position and options for your boarding pass.

You can also choose to receive your boarding pass when you arrive to the airport - if you are not checking bags there may be kiosks that allow you to print your pass, otherwise you will see one of the agents at the check-in desk and they can print.
Thanks! That was my big question, if I re-check in if I would lose my EBCI spot.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
Thanks! That was my big question, if I re-check in if I would lose my EBCI spot.
If you re-check in you will just get a reprint of the original BP with an "R" indicator indicating reprint. However if you cancel the original BP and then re-check in, most likely you will get a worse place in line. In rare cases you could get an improved place if someone with a better number has just cancelled their BP. Known as Serendipidous Early Boarding.

BTW, WN is Southwest's IATA code. SW would take you to very unexpected places.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tanic
BTW, WN is Southwest's IATA code. SW would take you to very unexpected places.
I knew that. WN it will be from now on! ^
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:03 pm

EBCI is assigned in the order it was purchased. The earlier you paid for EBCI the better your boarding postion

We purchase all our flights ( and EBCI) the day they go on sale and the worst boarding position we ever had was A-31

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 19, 2017 at 7:28 am
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer4512
EBCI is assigned in the order it was purchased. The earlier you paid for EBCI the better your boarding postion

We purchase all our flights ( and EBCI) the day they go on sale and the lowest position we ever had was A-31
By lowest, do you mean A-1 as highest?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
A-1 is the lowest, which in the case of boarding Southwest, a low score is a good score, like golf.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
A-1 is the lowest, which in the case of boarding Southwest, a low score is a good score, like golf.
That why I was confused. So what flyer4512is saying is even with EBCI don't expect A boarding.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:59 am

When I read this yesterday I thought "high/low isn't the right way to describe boarding positions, it will be confusing, we should use best/worst"
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:12 am

That why I was confused. So what flyer4512is saying is even with EBCI don't expect A boarding.
You can expect it, but it's not guaranteed. If the flight you booked is 6 months away, you can expect it. If you booked a flight today for tomorrow, you'll probably be in the B boarding position. But generally speaking, unless you're going to a heavily traveled tourist destination (Orlando, Vegas, etc), you're probably going to get an A boarding pass.

There are some variables (thru passengers remaining on the flight, early boarders needing assistance, etc), but for the most part if you're between A1 and B23, you'll all but guaranteed to get a window or aisle seat. Also, A1 - A15 are generally reserved for those purchasing Business Select. Since those tickets aren't always purchased, it's possible for someone with an A16 boarding pass to be the first one on the plane.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA

Terrible wording on my part, my HIGHEST boarding position was A-31. We are usually around A16 - A22 but as I said, I purchase our EBCI the day the flights go on sale so we are probably the 1st people in EBCI
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Terrible wording on my part, my HIGHEST boarding position was A-31. We are usually around A16 - A22 but as I said, I purchase our EBCI the day the flights go on sale so we are probably the 1st people in EBCI
^ Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:28 am
Original Poster

FWIW - Booked 6/27 for 7/20 - EBCI scored me A41
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Here' another question, will there already be people on the plane at boarding time tomorrow? Flight 3423 STL>LIT, but it shows the same flight # MSP>STL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.