Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

About flying with Southwest, "saved seats" and sitting in them anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

About flying with Southwest, "saved seats" and sitting in them anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

A-List, internal order still a secret stored at NSA
Choice excerpt from a post suitable for framing.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Choice excerpt from a post suitable for framing.
I wish we could get data from all A-Listers on a flight where there are many of them such as total spend, number of one-way flights in the past year, amount paid for this flight, etc. Then maybe we can solve this mystery.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by joshua362
EBCI just reserves a spot in the line. There is always a need to check in and get a boarding pass, whether online or at the airport.
Thanks for the clarification. From all the talk about EBCI being so saturated since Southwest has no limit on how many they sell, I assume A-29 should be pretty good. In other words, without EBCI I'm assuming I might have wound up in B group.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:35 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by redleader74
Thanks for the clarification. From all the talk about EBCI being so saturated since Southwest has no limit on how many they sell, I assume A-29 should be pretty good. In other words, without EBCI I'm assuming I might have wound up in B group.
There's nothing wrong with B group. B15 to B30 is fine for getting an aisle or window. You can go even farther if it's the larger 737-800 aircraft.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by nsx
There's nothing wrong with B group. B15 to B30 is fine for getting an aisle or window. You can go even farther if it's the larger 737-800 aircraft.
OK, good to know. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not interested in sitting at the front or back, just as long as I can sit window so I'm not pressured to get up and rush out of the plane with everyone else.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:58 am

BTW, I'm not sure if this should be a SWA question or a TSA question (moderator please move as necessary). So I just printed my boarding pass and I have Global Entry (and therefore TSA precheck). On my boarding pass, under my name it reads "TSA PRE" but does not include my Known Traveler Number. I read somewhere that in order for TSA to clear me through the precheck line my boarding pass needs to show my KTN. Can anyone confirm this or is "TSA PRE" printed on my boarding pass enough?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:06 am

BTW, I'm not sure if this should be a SWA question or a TSA question (moderator please move as necessary). So I just printed my boarding pass and I have Global Entry (and therefore TSA precheck). On my boarding pass, under my name it reads "TSA PRE" but does not include my Known Traveler Number. I read somewhere that in order for TSA to clear me through the precheck line my boarding pass needs to show my KTN. Can anyone confirm this or is "TSA PRE" printed on my boarding pass enough?
All is well. The barcode has everything embedded.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:17 am

Can anyone confirm this or is "TSA PRE" printed on my boarding pass enough?
I've never had any trouble, but there have been some recent posts about the bar code on some recent BP being unscanable at the gate. All that requires is a reprint of the BP.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by elevatorgeek
I wish we could get data from all A-Listers on a flight where there are many of them such as total spend, number of one-way flights in the past year, amount paid for this flight, etc. Then maybe we can solve this mystery.
How many flights have enough A-listers on them that it matters?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
How many flights have enough A-listers on them that it matters?
Quite a few toward the end of each calendar year.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Took a leisure trip SAN-LAS with my wife last weekend, burned our remaining RR points (plus some Chase URs), paid for EBCI. As an A-lister for many years, on primarily business heavy routes, I was pleasantly surprised when we both received A-30ish - in both directions. Incoming aircraft were through flights in both directions, we were able to grab opposing exit row aisle seats for the return - but not without some drama.

A 20-something woman boarded ahead of us, took the center exit row seat, put a tablet on the aisle, window seat was still empty. I nicely reminded her of the open seating policy, asked her to move the tablet so my wife could sit there. After some inappropriate comments, she relented, proceeded to cry when her boyfriend arrived (I estimate late B or early C), my wife overheard her claiming that I threatened her. When he asked if she would like him to say something to me, she quickly backed down, but continued to whine for the entire 45 minute flight, ordered a jack and coke to "calm her nerves".

A fitting end to what will likely be my last flight on WN, now that DL has begun offering SAN-LAS nonstops, AS now offers service on all of my intra-California routes.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: AMEX DL Reserve ✈ DL Diamond Medallion ✈ Marriott ✈ NWA
We just came from SW at FLL Airport to make sure our carry on is the right size at SW.
I asked the ticketing person re EBCI at 36 hours out. She advised for me to call SW and get our money back due we could get A B or C boarding. It doesn't guarantee A seating.
It picks random sections and it's a waste of money.
Shall we cancel our EBCI?
Please advise on this EBCI.
I thank everyone so far whom answered my previous question.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
What kind of braindead employee a) advises you to get a refund for something you bought from her employer and b) gives wrong advice?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: AMEX DL Reserve ✈ DL Diamond Medallion ✈ Marriott ✈ NWA
This is what she told us at FLL. She advised to cancel our EBCI.
We're new to SW, so we're learning as we go.
SW does things different I notice than DL. (We usually fly DL).
So I guess we'll keep our EBCI? Based on what you (Kevin AA) say.
In a few weeks this will be our first time with SW
Again sorry for the silly question.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:27 pm

EBCI is non-refundable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.