Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest Gurus: I need your advice re: EarlyBoard Check-in vs. Upgraded Boarding.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Gurus: I need your advice re: EarlyBoard Check-in vs. Upgraded Boarding.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:32 am

I've gotten exit row with EBCI many times.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
I got the infinite legroom seat once at T-24 due to SEB.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ursine1
Were there zero (or 4, I guess) thrus, A-listers, and BS? Or did EBCI somehow put you ahead of those groups into an A1 boarding pass?

I was under the impression that EBCI would put you behind BS and A-List, meaning usually a high-A to low-B boarding pass. I often OLCI right at T-24 and get a mid-B....I just assumed it's the EBCI's who are directly in front of me.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:09 pm

Your assumption that thrus, BS and A-Listers would definitely take all the exit row seats is flawed.

Most often, even with thrus, I see pax clustered around the bulkhead and first few rows (especially aisle), while the exit row(s) may have only one occupant, or are even completely empty, save the FA standing there.

My EBCI usually gets me approx. A-30 to A-45ish. MDW primarily.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I'm far from a guru, and typically only fly WN a couple times a year, but am OAK-based, and these are my historical observations.

(1) Most OAK originating flights start here - I don't recall when I've boarded one that was thru from somewhere else. Check your flight #, though, for the plane routing.

(2) I always buy EBCI. I don't recall when I haven't been higher than A25 but lower than A40. I have seen low Bs w/EBCI. A1-15 is rarely full, or even close to it.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Your assumption that thrus, BS and A-Listers would definitely take all the exit row seats is flawed.

Most often, even with thrus, I see pax clustered around the bulkhead and first few rows (especially aisle), while the exit row(s) may have only one occupant, or are even completely empty, save the FA standing there.
Very true. IME, its an all or nothing scenario. Very early boarders are either very aware and chopping at the bit for the 3 (or 6 on the -800) "prized" seats or are simply unaware or don't care, I'd say 70% the latter.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by elevatorgeek
I got the infinite legroom seat once at T-24 due to SEB.
Recent flights MDW-LAS (A30) and LAS-DTW (A35) scored infinite legroom and LUV window seat, respectively (EBCI). I decided I like the LUV seat better than legroom seat since I can spread across instead of out. I'm only 5'10", so I like having the extra tray table vs. legroom.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Thanks to all for the great advice, I appreciate it very much.

The only reason I even care in this instance is the length of the flight. I really don't want to be stuck in a middle for a 4+hr flight, and missing the exit row isn't a deal breaker, so it sounds like EBCI will have a high chance of accomplishing what I'm looking for.
More to think about. . .

It is often superior to pick a middle between two people that are acceptable than to take an aisle and depend on random luck to get a middle seat occupant that will not make you miserable.

Another strategy: Watch preboards for COS. Look for empty middle and seat saved card.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Middle is always dreadful for me.

Aisle at least means I have shoulder room and room for one of my feet.

I like window seats in certain types, but not 737s. The window is too low to really enjoy looking out and the curvature of the fuselage pinches shoulder room too much.

Beyond that, I'm not too picky how far back in the plane I go. I usually head for the middle-back and look for a solo traveler already in the window seat.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
More to think about. . .

It is often superior to pick a middle between two people that are acceptable than to take an aisle and depend on random luck to get a middle seat occupant that will not make you miserable.
I never liked the bulkhead row and have sworn off Exit Rows since they seem to be the first middles filled. I still shudder at the time I got the Exit Row Aisle on a relatively lightly loaded flight and a couple of large individuals instead of taking a full row for themselves decided to occupy the middle and window seats on my row, because "there was more room" but neither of the had particularly long legs. I now try to game an aisle seat with an empty middle. I'm pretty successful.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I still shudder at the time I got the Exit Row Aisle on a relatively lightly loaded flight and a couple of large individuals instead of taking a full row for themselves decided to occupy the middle and window seats on my row...
I think it could be a real light load - like twenty passengers - and the exit row will still be full all six across.

Needs to be an internet meme of some sort.... Because exit row!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
I think it could be a real light load - like twenty passengers - and the exit row will still be full all six across.

Not for me. Big butt + short legs makes exit row a nonstarter.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1

Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:17 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I'm often surprised at how slowly the exit rows can fill up. One case - was on a completely full flight from SEA-OAK on a 738, had a tall friend flying with me who bought upgraded boarding to get an exit row (A4 or 5 I think), I was around A30-something. I fully expected the exit rows to be filled by the time I got there and that we would sit apart, but to my surprise he was the only one in all the exit rows (and no, he wasn't seat saving). In fact, a middle seat in an exit row (14B I believe) was the last seat on the flight to be filled.

I usually don't go for the exit rows myself, but (as an A-lister), they're still usually some exit row seats still available by the time I board, though I'm sure it's very route dependent. (I think that on shorter flights with heavy business travel, more people prefer to be closer to the front of the aircraft to get off quicker, rather than prizing the exit rows).
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Thanks to all for the great advice, I appreciate it very much.

The only reason I even care in this instance is the length of the flight. I really don't want to be stuck in a middle for a 4+hr flight, and missing the exit row isn't a deal breaker, so it sounds like EBCI will have a high chance of accomplishing what I'm looking for.
Since I started this thread, I thought a follow-up would be appreciated.

Just checked in to print BP and received A25.

Worth $15? To me, yup. YMMV.
NextTrip likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.