Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Route change [speculation / observations] re: WN [next / recent] schedule extension

Route change [speculation / observations] re: WN [next / recent] schedule extension

Old Jan 31, 2016, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Any new rumors, speculations, predication?

The next schedule extension on February 18, 2016.

I hear those 2 stations will be closed. DAY & CAK will be closed and they will shifts to CVG or CLE.

Any new international city? New domestic flight?

I can see FLL-SAN or FLL-AUA 1 daily RT.

A new city? How about JFK or CVG?

Let the speculation begin.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by N830MH

I hear those 2 stations will be closed. DAY & CAK will be closed and they will shifts to CVG or CLE.

I don't see CAK being closed, SWA company culture committee has CAK on it's list of station visits in October. Don't think they'd schedule that and then cut the station but weirder things have happened. I'm personally hoping for double daily CLE-PHX as well as a seasonal CLE-SAN added to existing schedules, no one serves it out of CLE and I certainly think the market exists. I'd love to see consolidation at CLE but all of CAKs flights that were cut are served by at least 2 airlines now so not really anything they could switch over.

I could see AUA out of FLL since it's planned to be a SWA international hub. AUA being pre-cleared helps until they finish the new terminal. Maybe a new international destination for HOU. I still think CVG will be added in the next few years though.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I may be mistaken but I don't believe they have actually announced any new international stations during a schedule extension and at most they might add some frequencies on existing routes. For example, when HOU international opened up they had already announced what routes would be in advance but waited until an extension to actually put them on sale.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

IAD-SAN is ending on March 9, 2016

Unfortunately, they will be ending nonstop IAD-SAN on March 9, 2016. They tried, but they didn't work out well.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:02 pm

I am waiting to see if there are any timing changes on the non-stop LAX-LIR flights past Aug 5, 2016.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
WN Next Schedule extension Feb 18, 2016

Please don't close DAY!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I would love to see CVG. SDF has been pretty stagnant, I could handle that swap. Closing DAY isn't close to funding the necessary airframe time to properly start a station though.

But of you want speculation, close down Phoenix and hub out of the more temperate Omaha.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
I am poised to book the new LAX - HNL flights.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:12 pm

With UA dropping STL out of CLE in May i wonder if SWA moves the start date of CLE-STL up from June.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:10 pm

how often does SWA publish new schedules? I mean after 2/18 when do you guys think would be the next schedule publishing? I am asking cos I am looking for tickets for Thanksgiving and per website they would only be publishing till first week of Nov ...
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
how often does SWA publish new schedules? I mean after 2/18 when do you guys think would be the next schedule publishing? I am asking cos I am looking for tickets for Thanksgiving and per website they would only be publishing till first week of Nov ...
Usually on average every 3 months or so though i think there was only about 2 months between the last one and this one.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:41 am

I think the Thanksgiving-Christmas season schedules have opened mid-May for the last few years.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: WN RR, B6 TrueBlue, AA, NK
Originally Posted by N830MH

I'm really curious of what markets they intend to attack when there FLL CBP FIS comes online. The VFR heavier markets in Central America could be a good starting point beyond their current Costa Rica routes.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

About one more week left to go. A new schedule release date for November 2016 extension.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:46 pm

Have they ever had a Philly to Norfolk or even Newark to Norfolk? I would love it if the had either one of those!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.