Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is Southwest the premium air carrier in the United States?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Southwest the premium air carrier in the United States?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:46 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Give the others another decade to devalue their product and their loyalty programs, then maybe Southwest will look "premium". It's true that Southwest's coach product has become better than most of the others over years of devaluation, but the race to the bottom is still far from the finish line.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Putnik
It is not premium, but it is not LCC. I would put it on the same level as the legacy carriers, even though SWA does some things differently.
They are the original LCC. What do you mean they are not a LCC?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:18 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kb9522
They are the original LCC. What do you mean they are not a LCC?
I'm not a lot of things I was 40 years ago. @:-)
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:43 pm

Premium not withstanding, there is one great way to measure a company. Has it filed for bankruptcy?

Southwest has operated for a long time and the answer is a deafening "NO" compared to the legacies.

Southwest has also never lost a plane which is a very impressive feat.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Well, it depends on your definition of Premium. I'm a vacation flyer and I fly Southwest if at all possible. The experience is just better in my opinion. Bags fly free, which not only makes life easier for me, but the cabin is less jammed. And yes, Mr. Kirby, I will pay somewhat more for a better experience.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
To certain destinations, Southwest might seem the "premium" option.

Most of my flights are to ONT and SJC. Many (or most) of the flights on the legacy airlines would necessitate me finishing the trip on a regional jet. At least with Southwest, even if I have to change planes, at least I'm not getting on a puddle-jumper regional jet. I like bringing my heavy camera bag on the plane with me; on the regional jet I am limited.

My next flight is to Las Vegas, so I suspect the above does not apply. But I got a good fare from Southwest and Midway is very convenient for me, so I'll stay with them. Shared alliance programs, first class sections, fancy meals and lounges, and second-grader assigned seating don't do anything for me.

Last edited by Peoriaman1; Jun 7, 2017 at 7:39 am
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
No great reward program....
I disagree with this 100%, especially after trying to book reward travel on UA, and also after taking advantage of CP many times over the years. If my companion and I aren't together, I always have enough points to fly her to wherever I'm at, plus a friend, or two.

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
It's the fast food of the sky, targetted at the middle class infrequent flier and the regional business set that won't spend on biz class. It's great for short hops if you don't mind losing miles on a legacy, but calling it premium is like calling a Chevy Aveo "Luxury"
Most big companies with frequent travelers don't allow anyone below C-Suite or a step below to use biz class anyway. I'd call it the Subway (restaurant) of the sky. That being said, the main reason I fly WN is just because of where I live: by far the most non-stops of any other airline at my home airport. I place a higher premium on avoiding layovers and connections than other perks like lounges, etc. If I lived near a hub of another carrier I would most likely use that carrier exclusively.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I have a wife who considers flight schedules to be a vague suggestion. Once she made me change our return from vacation FOUR TIMES. For 3 people.

Free cancellation/changes are my savior.

That, plus CP, seals the deal for me.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I have a wife who considers flight schedules to be a vague suggestion. Once she made me change our return from vacation FOUR TIMES. For 3 people.

Free cancellation/changes are my savior.

That, plus CP, seals the deal for me.
Oh yeah I forgot to mention the whole no change fee thing, ha.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:29 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I have a wife who considers flight schedules to be a vague suggestion.
I'm sure this effect is larger than the airlines realize. For literally decades my family has been accustomed to being able to change plans late in the game, whether it's on Southwest flights or on award tickets on other airlines. The airlines and loyalty programs that continue to accommodate late changes will win my family's business. Nonrefundable cash tickets cannot compete.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I'm not a lot of things I was 40 years ago. @:-)
Single class? Check
Entire fleet made up of one aircraft type? Check
Primarily point-to-point? Check
No assigned seats? Check
Focus on leisure traveler? Check

Oh but bags fly free, so I guess that makes them different, right?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:02 am

Single class? Check
Entire fleet made up of one aircraft type? Check
Primarily point-to-point? Check
No assigned seats? Check
Focus on leisure traveler? Check

Oh but bags fly free, so I guess that makes them different, right?
Don't forget no change fees and no mini jets.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
I'm sure this effect is larger than the airlines realize. For literally decades my family has been accustomed to being able to change plans late in the game, whether it's on Southwest flights or on award tickets on other airlines. The airlines and loyalty programs that continue to accommodate late changes will win my family's business. Nonrefundable cash tickets cannot compete.
I am on a business trip to MSY. Finished up today, a day early. Switched from tomorrow to tonight's 7:20 pm (saving $8) and going to try to switch again to the 4:20 here in a bit. Again, no charge.

And I have no status.

Awesome stuff.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Don't forget no change fees and no mini jets.
Lipstick on a pig.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:25 pm

Lipstick on a pig.
I like pork, but bacon is better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.