Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New guy's Companion pass plan

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by joshua362
Yes, that too is the other method, that's a lot of paid flights though, but doable.

I'm not sure how the UR portal works (is it like a 3rd party travel agency?) but as long as someone is paying for the flight in cash/cash equivalent, it will generate points & credit if your RR is attached. Flights using RR points will not.
I believe the UR portal is a 3rd party travel agency. At least that is how it worked the one time I used it for a rental car.

That said, I don't see how booking through the UR portal is a good idea. One of the best parts about using points is it is refundable, and one is able to always get the lowest price if he can plan ahead. A list hardly seems worth giving that up, especially considering he will have 110,000 RR points and 180,000 UR points that could be transferred to RR if he wishes. Plus his companion won't get any A-list benefits anyway.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I do it every year. my wife gets A-List Preferred the same way. It's basically 1 trip per month + 1 flight,
She gets prefered from that many flights, or that's your example for me to get regular A-list?
Old May 25, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I believe the UR portal is a 3rd party travel agency. At least that is how it worked the one time I used it for a rental car.

That said, I don't see how booking through the UR portal is a good idea. One of the best parts about using points is it is refundable, and one is able to always get the lowest price if he can plan ahead. A list hardly seems worth giving that up, especially considering he will have 110,000 RR points and 180,000 UR points that could be transferred to RR if he wishes. Plus his companion won't get any A-list benefits anyway.
Has anyone here ever bought a WN ticket from the Chase portal using UR points and then refunded or refared?

Exactly what happens?
Old May 25, 2017, 12:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
More than a few people have been devastated when the statement dropped and the bonus posted before the end of December. Mistakes can happen. I recommend being 100% sure by delaying spending until January, or at least until you the December statement is printed so you can be sure of the date. Spending before the first statement date is a gamble because that date can change.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Noted... wouldn't want to ruin my holidays with that screw up
Old May 25, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
or at least until you the December statement is printed so you can be sure of the date.
Even that is a risk in the first few months of a new Chase card. Extra short statements can appear.

And plenty of people have had some kind of error in, say early December, where the merchant has accidentally double-charged. Even if immediately corrected, the CP is triggered and Chase will not reverse.

And remember that guy whose card was stolen by a cab driver and a mere $250 fraudulent charge was put on? Hello, CP issued in late December.

Plenty of threads on this over the years. OP, go find and read those.

Spend on Jan 1 to be sure. Try to have your statement scheduled to drop on about Jan 8.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt. Marriott. AA. National. Avis.
some routes are fairly cheap, and the difference between WGA and BS might be around 100 bucks or so. as long as you can at least get to a-list so the points start to accelerate a bit, getting the pass shouldnt be too difficult with that plus the CC promos.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Has anyone here ever bought a WN ticket from the Chase portal using UR points and then refunded or refared?

Exactly what happens?
Can you even book a SWA flight through Ultimate Rewards or do the points have to be transferred to SWA and booked there?
Old May 25, 2017, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

I've booked a Japan air flight and a frontier flight do far and it was a similar experience to booking on Priceline no transferring it just quotes you a price in points
Old May 26, 2017, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NextTrip
Can you even book a SWA flight through Ultimate Rewards or do the points have to be transferred to SWA and booked there?
I read somewhere that you can call Chase and they will do it manually for the 1.5 cents per UR point.

Cannot verify. Also cannot imagine ever going to the trouble vs. transferring 1:1.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
I read somewhere that you can call Chase and they will do it manually for the 1.5 cents per UR point.

Cannot verify. Also cannot imagine ever going to the trouble vs. transferring 1:1.
Would this be considered the same as a cash booking? If so it might be a way of earning additional points. It would really come in handy if these points would put you over the threshold for earning the companion pass.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by layoverdan
She gets prefered from that many flights, or that's your example for me to get regular A-list?
I fly 30-40 times a year, she flies about 70.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Would this be considered the same as a cash booking? If so it might be a way of earning additional points. It would really come in handy if these points would put you over the threshold for earning the companion pass.
Do not know. Seems reasonably likely. I might do it as an experiment. Or probably someone here or in the Ultimate Rewards forum has done it and might be willing to advise.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:56 am

Do not know. Seems reasonably likely. I might do it as an experiment. Or probably someone here or in the Ultimate Rewards forum has done it and might be willing to advise.
I think you can do something similar with American Express and their "pay with points". In that case you book the flight as usual. Ihaven;t donme it in a while but when I did last I got American Express points for the purchase and RR points as well.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Based on data points I've seen in other forums, flights booked through Chase with UR points are treated by WN as a cash booking (through a third-party agency). As such, you do receive RR points commensurate to the booked flight amount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.