Search

Retaining paper boarding passes?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 11:26 am
ryw
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Retaining paper boarding passes?

Flew out of PVD this morning and experienced something new - the GA said that for those with printed/print at home boarding passes, we should wait while they scan them, and then they would hand them back to us before boarding. This was my first time flying out of Providence. Is this normal for this station or something new system wide?

(I know this is standard for assigned seating carriers but usually people on WN hand over a paper boarding pass and head down the jetway even before the system "dings")
Old May 24, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by ryw
Flew out of PVD this morning and experienced something new - the GA said that for those with printed/print at home boarding passes, we should wait while they scan them, and then they would hand them back to us before boarding. This was my first time flying out of Providence. Is this normal for this station or something new system wide?

(I know this is standard for assigned seating carriers but usually people on WN hand over a paper boarding pass and head down the jetway even before the system "dings")
I've had this happen a few times, not sure why. Back when Airtran was still flying they would give it back and Southwest would keep them. Confusing when connecting from one to the other. I always print 2 so I have a spare.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I've had this happen a few times, not sure why. Back when Airtran was still flying they would give it back and Southwest would keep them. Confusing when connecting from one to the other. I always print 2 so I have a spare.
was it because AirTran had assigned seating?
Old May 24, 2017, 1:23 pm

Likely rogue GA.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by john398
was it because AirTran had assigned seating?
Possibly that's why Airtran and other carriers give them back.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Likely rogue GA.
Recently I was on a flight when the OA announced that he would be collecting BPs.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
it is VERY common for folks with connecting legs to give the GA the wrong boarding pass...see it happen all the time.

With mobile, you can;t leave till it scans. With paper, you can hand it off and be down the jet bridge before the computer picks up the bar code.

Be willing to bet it was just that GA's way of not having to chase everyone down the jet bridge.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by PAX62
it is VERY common for folks with connecting legs to give the GA the wrong boarding pass...see it happen all the time.

With mobile, you can;t leave till it scans. With paper, you can hand it off and be down the jet bridge before the computer picks up the bar code.

Be willing to bet it was just that GA's way of not having to chase everyone down the jet bridge.
+1 - which just adds to the litter on the plane! Is the scanning lag now longer with the new system?
Old May 24, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
On my last 2 flights it was announced "with the new system we no longer have to collect boarding passes".

So it seems related to the new IT.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Also willing to bet they are changing that policy cuz on EVERY other airline you get it back so you know your seat...I know there are quite a few non frequent WN fliers that used to expect them back and the GA would have to explain they are keeping them.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:59 pm

For what it's worth, an Ops Agent once told me that they collect them to avoid confusion regarding the boarding position being mistaken for a seat assignment.

I could see giving them back to the pax being helpful in situations where they have to deboard/reboard.

The FAs don't particularly like the new policy as it leads to more trash they have to collect and/or is left in seat back pockets.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
This happened to me early this week on my flight from IND. GA announced that there is a new procedure where you keep the boarding pass. It was specifically noted that it was a new procedure. My connecting flight they did not announce that but they did not collect boarding passes either.

Assigned seating in the future?
Old May 24, 2017, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by bgriz18
Assigned seating in the future?
Old May 24, 2017, 3:27 pm

When I flew Sunday evening they weren't doing it. My wife flies this evening. I'll ask her about it when she gets in,
Old May 24, 2017, 3:34 pm

Two flights this week for me...collected and tossed all. Watched a third that I was trying to get onto...collected and tossed all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.