Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest red eye flights

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Southwest red eye flights

Anyone know when southwest will begin scheduling red eye flights? Care to speculate what routes they may consider?
Old May 8, 2017, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Yes, when they decide to start flights to/from Hawaii. They will need both redeyes and they will need to allow double connections. The redeye flights will be from Hawaii to West Coast as well as West Coast to mid/Eastern hub airports.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
I was hoping for ABQ-FLL
Originally Posted by formeraa
Yes, when they decide to start flights to/from Hawaii. They will need both redeyes and they will need to allow double connections. The redeye flights will be from Hawaii to West Coast as well as West Coast to mid/Eastern hub airports.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by formeraa
You can double connect today?
Old May 8, 2017, 9:43 pm

Hawaii is at least a year away, if ever. I expect transcon red eyes to start way before Hawaii does. (The new reservation system, 100% live tomorrow, will allow them to do so.)
Old May 8, 2017, 10:44 pm

I doubt there will be any dramatic operational changes until after the first of the year. The next schedule extension little more tha a week away will open the schedule through the holidays. I doubt there will be any changes until Southwest digests the new system and considers what to do next.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
What ancient system was WN using before that prevented Redeye flights? I heard it had to do with something where the system wouldn't support flights that departed and arrived on different dates?

I wonder who designed that system...
Old May 9, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Really doesn't matter whom designed, it was short sighted for sure and perhaps never thought necessary when they were smaller. However, like the 1999 limitation of the Y2K rollover craze, it most certainly fixable if that's what they wanted to do.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I doubt there will be any dramatic operational changes until after the first of the year. The next schedule extension little more tha a week away will open the schedule through the holidays. I doubt there will be any changes until Southwest digests the new system and considers what to do next.
They have the 737-300 retirement to support the intro of MAX 8s, too.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
What ancient system was WN using before that prevented Redeye flights? I heard it had to do with something where the system wouldn't support flights that departed and arrived on different dates?
WN has had many flights that depart and arrive on different dates for years - especially west-to-east flights arriving ~1am or later. There was a thread once trying to find the latest scheduled arrival and, IIRC, it was after 2am.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by FindAWay
WN has had many flights that depart and arrive on different dates for years - especially west-to-east flights arriving ~1am or later. There was a thread once trying to find the latest scheduled arrival and, IIRC, it was after 2am.
Yes agree here. I don't think the limitation had to do with flying over midnight. From what I heard, the now "old" system had some sort of batch job that ran every night after the last arrival to prep the system for the next day. That was the main issue with them not starting redeyes. I also believe redeye flying wasn't in FA and pilot contracts until this last round of negotiations.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:28 am

The old system did not permit landings after 3am Herb time I believe...the "clock" went to something like 2700.

Hawaii will have nothing to do with redeye flying for WN in my opinion.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by palmetto86
Yes agree here. I don't think the limitation had to do with flying over midnight. From what I heard, the now "old" system had some sort of batch job that ran every night after the last arrival to prep the system for the next day. That was the main issue with them not starting redeyes. I also believe redeye flying wasn't in FA and pilot contracts until this last round of negotiations.
I found the thread I referenced: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-red-eyes.html
Old May 9, 2017, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by 737MAX8
The old system did not permit landings after 3am Herb time I believe...the "clock" went to something like 2700.
the thread I referenced includes:

Originally Posted by lougord99
A former Airtran turned WN insider stated that the computer would not allow anything later than 2:00am Central time.
Old May 9, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Im assuming that's scheduled times and not due to delays? Last year I was going from HOU to BWI and because of storms we finally left at 1am CT and landed at 5am ET. I'm glad they didn't have to cancel that one just because of some lame computer issue!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.